close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Russian military aircraft photos

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JCM298, Jan 15, 2005.

1. JCM298

JCM298

2. Roogalator

Roogalator Senior Grackle

These folks who buy MiG's and so forth, where do they learn to fly them??? I can imagine the response you'd get if you showed up at your local flight school and asked if someone could teach you to fly your Foxbat.

Also, where do they get replacement parts? And where do they find people who know how to work on them?

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I'd imagine if you've got the money for a Foxbat, finding a former Russian AF mechanic who'd sign as a personal mechanic in exchange for a work visa and a enough salary to get him through AnP school would be pretty easy. Same deal for a IP.

4. Highandfast

Highandfast

Pull back the houses get smaller.

Push forward the houses get bigger.

;f

5. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I don't know about getting to purchase a FoxBat Mig 25.

I know you can purchase some of the older jets like Mig-15's and Mig 17's.
    And those trainers.

First you have to have enough time in jets to even consider purchasing one.

Then you have to be rich because owning a jet is incredibly expensive.

There was a post here a little while back where you can go to Russia and fly the Mig's.

Also there was another post not to far back where you can buy old T-38's and F-5's.

Heck it's only money. ;)

6. CaptainOveur

CaptainOveur

Remember that some of the better military fighters have endurance of around an hour without drop tanks, and not much more with.

The mig 25 was designed to be a high-alt interceptor, and it's endurance is probably no more than 45 min to an hour. These things just aren't designed for joyrides unfortunatly.

There's an Mi-8 that flys around here, and I've seen a Hind (Mi-24) on a few occasions as well.

7. Highandfast

Highandfast

There's a guy in Burlington, VT that had a MiG-21. The tower used to basically give him priority handling all the time. If he had to miss, he had one more shot before things would get real quiet. (so we were told)

That old mil-stuff is kinda cranky. Especially the Rooskie stuff. If the motor stops, no hydraulics, no flight controls, no back-ups.

Pull the big handle.

8. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Pull back too much and the houses get real big. ;P

9. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

As far as parts and instruction, International Jets in Gadsten airport builds and fly Com-block jets. I worked security there and had to on ocaision chat with a former Soviet Air Force Major who flew Mig-21s, Su-27s and Mig-29s during the Cold War. He said they(the Soviet pilots) had not a chance in Hell against American pilots and aircraft in a dog fight. Hhmmmm....

10. Highandfast

Highandfast

Their civilian stuff 'aint much better. On several occasions I've been given the .50 tour by a crewmember. Instuments all over the place, ADF's with dials the size of coffee can lids. I know a flight engineer who used to work for LOT (Polish Airlines) flying I believe IL-52's. Motor TBO's around a couple THOUSAND hours. If they held together that long. He lost many friends. I don't know about some of the more "modern" stuff, but there's a reason they're using Boeings and Airbuses.

As an aside, if you look on a MiG-21 there is actually a cable that exits the fusealage near the speedbrake on the aircraft left rear. When they discovered it needed an "airski-brakeski", they couldn't run the cable on the inside because the dang engine was there. They just kinda improvised.....

I think if you got fired as an engineer from Douglas, they hired you on the spot.;)

I'll try to link some pics.