close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rush: Race? Other!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bumpadrum, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Bumpadrum

Bumpadrum zoom in & FOCUS

Limbaugh yesterday offered a novel idea.

When you fill out the the upcoming census, go to the bottom of the long list of racial choices, check the "other" box, and write in "American".

This works for me on several levels. The census is constitutionaly required so lying, or just writing "kiss my arse" is not a viable option. But proudly proclaiming yourself an American tweaks the politicians divisive racial obsessions, and sends a clear message of patriotism and solidarity from the heartland.

Imagine the shock and confusion the .gov types will suffer when 15-30 million Americans un-hyphenate and refuse to identify themselves by their skin color or the place of their ancestors birth and proudly proclaim themselves Americans, undivided by sub-species or geographical origins.

What do you think?

2. Ersatz

Ersatz

I think the action runs afoul of your stated knowledge that lying is not a viable option. If it bugs you, don't fill in your race. You're not required to.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010

3. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I had a relative get a partial college scholarship for putting "Other" on an application. Her family did not make a lot of money but if she put down "White" she would not have been eligible. She never was questioned about it but her defense was that he grandmother was an unwed mother, there is no documentation of the race of her Grandfather. Maybe he was a German Immigrant that took off after getting her grandmother pregnant, or maybe he was a half black, half Asian guy pretending to be a German immigrant, who is to say.:dunno:

Unless your a recent immigrant most white people in America cannot say with 100% certainity that they don't have some other races mix in. The same goes true with African Americans.

So why don't we all just put down "Other", because really does it matter what race you are?

4. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

Why don't you just put down what race you are? It's a census, not a college application.

5. KY Moose

KY Moose

Other: Appalaichian-American

6. ChipM

ChipM

Because it is 2010, and we are supposed to be a color-blind society now.

7. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Race: any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race

Doesn't sound like lying to me...

8. coqui33

coqui33 NRA Instructor

Because what works for you, does not work for the many tens of millions of U.S. citizens who are of mixed European, African, and Native American ancestry.

For example, I happen to be Puerto Rican (born on the island, as were my parents and grandparents). My genome contains damned near every ancestry known to man. But "Puerto Rican" is not considered a "race." And the published government policy is that if you check off "Black" along with anything else, you are counted as African-American, which I most definitely am not.

Your question, "Why don't you just put down what race you are?" assumes that everyone has a "race." Many Americans do not have a "race" and, to be honest, do not seem to need one in day-to-day life. This is not a question of color-blindness nor of political correctness. It is a question of simple practicality.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

SIMPLE; The GOVERNMENT wants to KEEP us divided. THAT way they can stay all Powerful and we are the Subjects. The Government FEAR the simple words of WE THE PEOPLE >>>>>>>>LIKE in TEA PARTY.. ;o)

10. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Race? There is no such thing as multiple races, we are all part of the human race... so if you want to check other and write in human, you would definitely not be lying.

11. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

I've always answered "Other", then wrote in European American.

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Because Census data was used to round up and incarcerate innocent Japanese-Americans during WWII.

There is simply no need for anyone to know what race I am. All they should be concerned with is that I pay taxes like a good little serf.

13. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

+1 It's none of their bitniss

14. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

How about answering Other: Unknown.
    I have had no definitive test to establish my race.

I like "human" better, but I thought of "unknown before I read that far.