close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rural first responder/FF POV gear

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by insectguy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. insectguy

insectguy

Sorry for the mulitple posts, but obviously I have a lot to learn.

For those in rural areas especially, what equipment do you keep in your POV? I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, with a tool box. The local guys refer to it as the "Big Red Ambulance," because I responded to a tree stand accident, and rather than carry him 1/2 mile out, I drove my truck back for transport. (Still trying to get the scratches out :sad: ).

Anyway, I have my lights and siren, first responder med bag, AED, windshield and seatbelt tool. I'll be getting a rechargeable flash light (I responded to a MVA, and found I desparately needed one). I also have a set of Carhart (sp?) coveralls, a dry chemical fire extinguisher, clipboard, pen, maps and tow rope.

What else?

BTW, I'm only 1st responder qualified, not EMT-B or -P. That may come if my family and profession will allow my absence for the class.

2. va_roadrunner

va_roadrunner

You might consider adding to your kit:

A couple of reflective safety vests.
    Reflective traffic triangles.
    A helmet.
    Headlamp or two.
    A couple of traffic flashlights.
    Rain gear.

Do you have any VHF/UHF radios installed and able to communicate on public safety frequencies with agencies in your area?

3. insectguy

insectguy

I have a handheld radio which I use to receive the callouts. However, the county in which I live uses the adjacent county's 911 system and towers, so they will not pick up my outgoing communications. I carry my cellphone and have the dispatchers on speed dial for my responses.

I've tried to convince the powers-that-be to invest in a new(er) system or expanding the current one to our county, but as usual, the funding is not there. We're still trying to get enough SCBA's for the firefighters we have, so a new system is not really an option. The county which owns the system has no problem receiving their personnel's traffic, so why fix it?

Yes, I applied for grants (still yet another hat), but received a nice email two days ago saying we were rejected.:sad:

The kind gentleman at the radio store said I could get one installed in my POV for about $1000. :shocked: :animlol:

Did I mention I'm a volunteer?

4. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Chief,

Are you on vhf or uhf.

Do you have a freq list with pl's?

I might have an old radio around that could help.

The 2 things that are always cited in NIOSH reports, for areas that need improvement, are safety & communication.

What can you carry that would make your people safer (radios, command board, accountability board, district maps, cones, flares, vest etc).

Drop me a pm, I would be glad to help you as much as I can with whatever.

D2

5. ShotGlass

ShotGlass

Anyway, I have my lights and siren, first responder med bag, AED, windshield and seatbelt tool. I'll be getting a rechargeable flash light (I responded to a MVA, and found I desparately needed one). I also have a set of Carhart (sp?) coveralls, a dry chemical fire extinguisher, clipboard, pen, maps and tow rope.

What else?

BTW, I'm only 1st responder qualified, not EMT-B or -P. That may come if my family and profession will allow my absence for the class. [/B][/QUOTE]

Let me guess...you are a Volunteer, aren't ya

6. insectguy

insectguy

There's not one paid firefighter in our county.... not even a pay-per-call.

Everyone's a volunteer, including the chiefs and EMS. For the ambulance service, we borrow from an adjacent county, which makes the first responders even more necessary.

We just hired an EMA director this year.

7. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Lighten up

8. insectguy

insectguy

It's ok. I've come to expect some derision of being a volunteer, just like being a Yankee. The plain fact is this county cannot afford a paid firefighting force, so the volunteers are essential.

As for myself, I'm trying to not be in a position where I am undertrained or underequipped, while at the same time trying to maintain a life outside of the VFD. I already have a profession-- one at which I am fairly good. I in no way wish to take the place of a professionally paid firefighter, nor do I have any delusions of grandeur I actually could.

On the other hand, I also will not stand by and let harm come to someone I can actually help. I know my limitations, but I also have areas of expertise I believe I can contribute.

As an example, I have been asked to provide assistance in revising the Georgia hazmat curriculum in regards to radiation safety, and be an instructor at the Georgia Public Safety Training College in radiation protection (I have 23 years direct experience in radiological issues, from uranium extraction to depleted disposal, with assundry tangents to weapons and systems). Let me know if I can assist you in this area. :supergrin:

Even "volunteers" can add value. :thumbsup:

For everyone else, I deeply appreciate your willingness to lend your experiences to make our department that much better.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Don't let the volunteer knockers get to you. They really hate it if you have more training than they do.....

Scott

10. comstockfire

comstockfire

How about an O2 kit, comes in handy with the AED.

11. va_roadrunner

va_roadrunner

Before you run out and purchase an 02 kit and spare tanks, you need to find out if Georgia restricts the administration of oxygen to EMT-Bs and higher.

12. Tvov

Tvov

Do you carry your bunker (structural fire fighting) gear with you? Or are you talking about gear other than that?

13. insectguy

insectguy

My bunker gear stays at the firehouse (I live 2 blocks away). I found I was constantly moving the gear whenever my kids needed to ride in the backseat of my truck, so it was easiest to keep it staged at the firehouse. Besides, since I'm the one who usually drives the apparatus (and sometimes the only responder :sad: ), it's much more convenient to don the gear there.

Good point on the O2-- I'll find out today the rules and regulations.

I've added a couple of reflective vests-- we had one guy have a near miss at a MVA when someone tried to pass. I'm looking for the LED traffic wands-- any suggestions?

14. Tvov

Tvov

I don't know brands, but get the brightest ones you can. Fire Police (essentially traffic control) stinks. Our guy who is in charge of Fire Police has basically a blaze orange (more reddish actually) outfit with reflective stripes, blaze orange gloves and led wands. People still almost run into him. With all the flashing lights at an incident and people rubber necking to see what's happening, it is dangerous doing traffic control.

15. comstockfire

comstockfire

Flares to drag down the side of cars that get too close?:supergrin:

Self defense ya know:thumbsup:

16. insectguy

insectguy

Funny you should mention that... I just put four flares in my toolbox yesterday.:supergrin:

I'm all set to go!