Runt of the Litter?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Wet Dog, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

The wife and I are going to adopt a Labrador puppy in the near future. We found a breeder we felt good about and put a deposit down for a pup. We have fifth pick females in the litter and one of the five is the runt. The breeder said it was the smallest runt he's ever seen survive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except for her stunted size - she seems to be two weeks behind the others - she doing quite well. Our priority is to get a healthy dog and my gut is telling me this might not be the one. We're facing heartbreak with our two senior Labs (12 and 13 years old now) and we've experienced the early loss of a young dog in the past. While there are no guarantees, I would like to make a sound choice that gives us the best probability of another 12+ years of healthy life.

The puppies will begin being chosen next week (7 weeks) and it is possible the runt may be taken prior to our selection, at which point I'll gladly accept the female that is left. The breeder has offered us third pick in an upcoming litter - will be born any day now.

My question is, have any of you chosen Runts before and how did they fare?

2. RLB

RLB

The fact she is still alive is a testament to her will.
    If you are not using her for a hunting dog does it really matter if she is the runt?
    With proper nourishment she can grow to be a large healthy puppy.
    I have had runts before and they have done great.
    Have your vet check her carefully and follow their advice.
    Good luck

3. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

Most runts catch up by 16 weeks of age. However, there are certainly medical issues (especially liver shunts) that can be difficult to detect and expensive to fix. Just be aware, but I've seen plenty of runts grow up to be normal, healthy dogs.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

tell the breeder to price the "runt " accordingly.

I have had good priced dogs the caught up their litter mates.

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Our Dog was the runt out of a litter that was dumped in the woods. I took them all home with the intention of getting them healthy and finding good homes for them. The runt was never picked and after a couple of months of trying to find a home for him, we just decided to keep him. Well, that runt turned into the best 75 pound guard dog / family friend. He is 13 now and really starting to show his age. I could never have asked for a better dog. We are thinking about doing one of those DNA tests to see exactly what mix of dog he is. I hate to think of the day when he is gone but I would like to try the mix again.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010