close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Runners. I have a question for you.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lpo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

I have started running as a source of fitness and as of now, 1.5 miles takes about 21 minutes. The main reason it is so long is that my knees feel like they are being hammered by a sledgehammer every time I take a step.

Is there something I can do to correct this? Is it poor form or something else that I can correct? I'm using a pair of old shoes that may not be the best but I hope to get better ones this week.

Any advice about this or any other advice about running is greatly appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I would recommend you do low impact such as utilizing a cross country ski machine to strengthen your calf and ACL joints. A good pair of running shoes might help with your problem of knee pain. New Balance and Adidas make some good stuff and well worth.

As for running be sure you are utilizing 'heel - toe' movements keeping your back straight and head up with focus on breathing and deliberate arm swing. Should get you back in to fighting shape.

3. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I used to run a lot, half marathons, etc. shoes are very very very important, as are good mechanics. Please get to a running store to be fitted. If any local clubs have running clinics to check your form that's good as well. I had to stop because I have a condition that affects my joints, but I did ok while I could.

4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Are you going up and down hills and different slopes. Do you get a good stretch and warm up? When U run do you slam your feet down? Do you have a good pair of shoes? Are you putting more weight and/or power on one leg? Is the pain equal in both knees? Have U talked to a doctor?
    Bad knees? Tendinitis? Unknown injury? Lack of cartilage in the knees? Do you feel the bones rubbing?

I ran track for years and these are some of the questions I've heard the coaches ask people when they mention pain.

:50cal:

5. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

Javelin and Mrs. VR,

Thanks, great advice. Going to get some better shoes and work on better form.

TSA,

No known problems and the pain subsides after a minute or two. It is even in both knees and I do slam my feet down pretty hard. That's most likely the reason they are hurting. I actually just got back from a test run to see if the form techniques mentioned by Javelin would help, and they seem to be a little easier on my knees.

I'm going to give it a few days of focusing on form and see how it goes. After 10 years of inactivity and smoking 2 packs a day, I'm actually doing better than I thought I would. if it continues or the pain starts lingering, I'll check with a doctor. Thanks again to all of you.

6. VELO

VELO

First of all: great job getting out there. Those first few runs are always the hardest. You'll be surprised at how quickly your body adjusts to the new stress.

New shoes are a must. I know they are expensive, but you really need to have good support and cushioning when just starting out. I'm an Asics man, but like Mrs VR said, go to a running specialty store and get properly fitted. All running shoes are not created equally. Nor are our feet!

The other thing is to be sure to streeeeeeetch well after your runs. Especially hamstrings and calves. Tight muscles lead to poor form which leads to pain.

To improve your form you can do some simple drills when you feel ready. Get warmed up with a half to three quarter mile jog. Find a nice grassy field and eyeball out a 30-40 yard stretch of flat ground. Cover that distance while doing some "high-knees". Basically running but focus solely on getting your knees as high as you can. Drive them straight up. It's not about how fast you cover the distance, it's about form. Once you've covered that distance turn around and go back doing "butt-kicks". Again, running while trying to kick your own behind with each stride. When just starting out just go down and back once or twice then finish the remainder (you already covered some in your warm-up) of your 1.5 mile run that you're currently completing.

I believe you will find that your stride will lengthen a bit and you'll feel less of that pounding in your knees. Do these drills once or twice a week. Whatever feels good for now.

The most important thing is to not push too hard. You've got to ease into it so you don't injure yourself. Don't increase mileage more than 1 percent a week. Did I mention stretching?

Have fun! I hope this helps.

@ Javelin. I see you're in N Dallas. I was there on business not too long ago and did the White Rock Lake loop. That's a fantastic place to run.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I'm a big guy and have always hated running, but during the police academy we had to run 5 days a week and eventually ran up to 4 miles a day. Biggest things that helped me was stretching before, good shoes (Asics kayanos with orange super feet insoles worked best for me), fixing how I ran (used to heel strike causing a lot of knee an back pain, now run more on balls of feet and no pain whatsoever), and lastly stretched calves really well after helped prevent shin splints an other soreness. Good luck and keep at it! Another program that helped me a lot was the couch to 5k deal online. It gradually builds you up to running 3 miles and is very manageable.

8. redbrd

redbrd

You might try shortening your stride and increasing your cadence. If your stride is to long you are exponentially increasing the impact on your body. Think of your feet as wheels they should roll with little resistance, if your stride is too long your wheel is rolling more like an egg.

9. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

If aasics running shoes are as good as their wrestling shoes, id love a pair. I've. Had my wrestling shoes since high school (16 years or so) and used them at the gym and as house shoes. They are still in pretty goood condition.

One problem I'm having is the correct form feels ackward. Most of the running I've done in the past were sprints and forced long jogs for footbal and other sports. Swinging arms and focusing on proper landing and heel to toe transition, feels funny to me. I guess it's just going to take some time and focus to get it down right.

10. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Assuming no physical limitations, proper shoes will make or break your ability to run comfortably. Invest NOW in a pair of quality shoes that will provide shock absorbtion and stability.

11. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

Actually, I think my problem is the opposite. I tend to do a shuffle style run. I use real short strides and I think that why I land so flat footed. It feels like I may be burning more energy with less distance. I guess I need to find a good medium.

I found a local athletic store that has employees that have experience with long distance running. Going tommorow to look at shoes and for a tutorial.

12. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Don't go into shoe shopping stuck on a certain brand. It may be your favorite walking shoe company doesn't fit your running needs. I have a narrow heel and the only shoe that had the correct stability/cushioning needs for me was Saucony. I was never able to find another shoe that worked. Don't like them at all for walking. I also often used inserts, but again, get fitted! Some people swear by ones that just killed my feet.

13. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Try out some minimalist shoes (I'm a big fan of Nike Frees and the NB Minumus) and learn land on your forefoot rather than your heels.

Your joints will thank you.

14. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

The place I am looking at going has one of those fancy machines that measure your foot size,weight balance, etc. I know they sell several brands and hopefully they can put me in the right pair. I'll take anything that fits my budget and can perform better than my 13 year old NewBalance.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I'll throw in my opinions/experience

A bit of background. I am 45, 210 pounds. In 1989 I broke my left tibia
    heel, fibia and nearly sheared my achiles completely.

In 2009 I decided I wanted to run a Marathon. I started with a visit to an
    actual running store. I was fitted with stability shoes. Most stores have
    employees that are RUNNERS, not just employees. This is a must for
    proper fitment of shoes. I did a crap load of running, about 45-50
    miles a week. I completed my first marathon, the 2010 Miami ING in 5:51:06

Not a smoking time, but my goal was to finish. I am running my second
    this Labor Day in Colorado.

16. bikerdog

bikerdog

I am not sure if this will help you or not but I have had a lot of problems with my knee from a sports injury and have found that running on the balls of my feet rather than the heel has helped out a lot.

17. bgreed

bgreed

Distance running one of propbaly the worst types of exercise you can do for your body. Most people run on concrete and I don't care if you have the best shoes in the world you are pounding your ankles, knees, hips and lower back which will have long term problems that are just begining to show now in all those hardcore joggers.

If you want a great low impact exercise that will give you just as good if not better areobic workout (by the way in also includes a great anerobic workout as well) Get a kettlebell get the book or DVD "Enter the kettlebell" by Pavel start with the program minimum and work your way up. You will get a great workout in about 30-40 minutes.

As a side note the Secret service now uses kettlebells as their overall fitness test 200 snatches in 10 minutes with a 24kg bell. Also Vanderbilt University did a study recently and discovered they are the highest calorie burning exercise you can do.

18. Drjones

Drjones

Unless you have any other known issues with your knees/feet/back, it's definitely the old, crappy shoes.

I got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers last summer, and really cannot express how much better they make my whole body feel.

I was so impressed with the Vibrams that I got some Merrell "barefoot" shoes that are really low profile; practically zero cushioning/padding, yet look like normal shoes that I can - and do - wear every day for work. Much more socially acceptable than the Vibrams.

Anyhow, I'm now a total believer in the barefoot/minimalist shoe thing. My feet and legs feel so much stronger, I don't ache at the end of the day any more, etc.

Wearing traditional, thickly padded shoes and shoes with any sort of heel that is higher than the toe (like any man's dress shoe) is akin to wearing ski gloves on your hands and trying to type or play the piano.

I'd at least try a more minimalist shoe design, even if you don't go all the way for the Vibrams, though so many runners swear by them...

19. Drjones

Drjones

Indeed!!!

Have you tried any of the Vibrams or Merrell minimalist offerings?

20. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Yea, I have a pair of the VFF's and I really like them but I prefer those other two.

Im willing to sacrifice the barefoot experience a bit for the ability to wear socks and to have a thicker sole to protect from rocks and such. :supergrin: