Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of picking up some steel cased ammo to shoot out in the boonies but with all the dry grass around and a guy setting a fire accidentally a few years ago with a steel jacketed round I wanted to know if any steel case ammo comes without a steel jacket. Non corrosive would clearly be important.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What caliber?

I shoot Monarch and Tulammo 9mm/.45 when that's all I can find and they're both copper FMJs.

As far as corrosive, I can't speak to that, but I clean my pistols after every range trip.

·
Registered
32,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly .45, .223, and maybe 9. I forgot, doesn't one make have hard primers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
What caliber?

I shoot Monarch and Tulammo 9mm/.45 when that's all I can find and they're both copper FMJs.

As far as corrosive, I can't speak to that, but I clean my pistols after every range trip.
My Glocks have never had a problem with them, dunno. Copper bullets and steel cases... Still goes bang.
The jackets on those bullets are steel. They just have a tiny clad of copper over it. If you don't believe me, stick a magnet to the bullet.

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
I am unaware of steel case ammo without a jacketed bullet.

I'll add I have had good luck with Tula 9mm and .45 in my Glocks, and Tula .223 in my AR.

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
99% of the Russian made 9x19mm uses gilding metal clad steel (GMCS) jackets. Every now and then I find a box that has plain copper jacket bullets. .380, .40 and .45 and WOLF's sole .357Mag loads primarily use copper jacketed bullets. 9x18Mak usually have GMCS jackets.

Rifle rounds in 7.62x39 is usually GMCS and in .223 it's usually a toss-up.

If you go to retail stores to buy your ammo carry along a small magnet and check before buying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts