close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Runaway CA Prius Driver Is Liar

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MASIG, Mar 14, 2010.

1. MASIG

MASIG

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...01542947616.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular

Told 911 operator that couldn't put car into neutral as was preoccupied keeping car on road at 94 mph but was able to hold and operate cell phone. Now turns out he wasn't even on the brakes! I recall cop saying something about seeing the brake lights come on which obviously suggests that they must have been off at some time. So, hopefully this guy will be ticketed for multiple offenses and sued. I think he's a realtor -- that should have raised a red flag immediately.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Perhaps if you would care to explain: realtor.

I do agree, that he is lying. His body language spoke volumes when he was being interviewed by the reporter.

3. metal

metal

Lying yes. Drive by wire? (all electronic) hmmm I'm a Muscle car fan, probably might just pop in a switch to break the circuit for the accelerator or fuel-pump. (shrug, if I had something that new) I'm pretty sure they have a software issue but driving a Prius should just not only deny you your man card IMHO it would also absolve you of all rights in the US court system LOL (BTW this is coming from a guy from Detroit) LOL yea yea yea I know we all have rights. But buy an American car. :)

4. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Whoa whoa whoa... I'm all for supporting American companies but I think you'd be hard pressed to say Toyota or the other big 2 Japanese auto makers aren't "American". There's scores of employees in WA, OH, KY, and those are just the factories I know off the top of my head; who earn a damn good living assembling Japanese autos.

Last I checked the American big 3 all had plants in other countries.

As far as the faking Prius driver I can think of a dozen traffic violations and quite a few criminal offenses that I sure hope CA levies against him, not to mention Toyota suing his dumb ***.

5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Not to say I told you so...

But I called this one early. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14910793&postcount=14
    Muscle car engine can't overpower the brakes, let alone a Prius. (Let a lone a Prius at 94 mph with the brakes on)...

I said "He must have played around with the brakes and overheated them. " Officer did spell burning brakes...

I thought he looked like he was lying on the interview too. I'd be pissed if it happened to me. He looked nervous, like "oh crap, this thing is snowballing out of my control".

Randy

6. F350

F350

Sounds like he was just trying to jump on the "Toyata Graveytrain", lookin' for a cash settelment. Hope Kalifornia screws hiim good!

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I have to agree. The buy American/ Japanese argument is pretty much meaningless these days.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

It was obvious from the beginning the guy was a liar. It was obvious to Toyota too, evidently, as that's the incident where they started getting up off the mat and fighting back against false allegations.

9. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

If it can be proven that the guy is lying, then pile on the charges.

Things like filing false reports, speeding, wreckless endangerment, wreckless driving, plus anything else they can throw at him. He lied to police, and by doing so, caused a very brave officer to put his life at risk.

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

And to think I thought wreckless driving was a GOOD thing all these years! :tongueout::rofl:

Randy

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

When the news first broke I wondered how the driver claimed to the 9-1-1 operator he was unable to put the car in neutral,... and didn't for the entire duration of the incident. Now that explains it.

I'm no car guy but IIRC all cars have brakes that overpower the gas.

12. metal

metal

LOL say that at any 4 corner bars near here (Across from a Ford plant, next to a Chrysler plant or across the street from the GM Tech center or GM Assembally... to quote Chris Rock "you might get you're A** kicked" LOL
    I understand all that but lots of people in Detroit don't see things that way or really can't conceptualize something that logical :whistling:

13. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

Haven't you guys figured it out yet?

He just wanted to be a Runaway Priusness

:dancingbanana: :rofl:

14. Morris

Morris CLM

Booooooooooo! :rofl:

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

My Crown Vic is made in Canada, but my BMW is made in America. How dat be?

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Our vehicles:
    Honda Civic - made in Ohio. Trouble free - only needs maintenance and a couple minor repairs over 14 years.
    Honda Gold Wing - made in Ohio. Trouble free, maintenance only.
    Gold Wing that I had before this one - had to replace alternator at 55,000 miles. Common problem on that model, otherwise was completely trouble-free.
    Dodge Ram - made in Mexico. Dashboard cracked in half a dozen places (common on mid to late 90s Rams), right door leaks even though it's almost never used, suspension rattles, water pump shredded itself at 70,000 miles and caused a major overheat in the middle of Wyoming and we had to be towed 70 miles, buttons on the stereo wore out by 60,000 miles, clear coat has leprosy, vacuum line on cruise control corroded through at 35,000, transmission was slipping at 45,000 and the truck had never towed anything or had more than a couple hundred pounds in the bed.

So the "Japanese" vehicles I own or have owned were made in the USA, and as close to totally reliable as you can get. The "American" vehicle is one that I wish I had never bought, and will never own anything from Chrysler again.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  17. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Before I drop the hammer on him I want to wait what the investigation comes up with.
    Maybe he is a lair and on top a very poor driver who was totally overwhelmed with the situation.

18. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Where is a link to the video of his interview?

19. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

SAN DIEGO - Toyota said there were "significant inconsistencies" between a California man's claim that his Prius sped out of control and the findings of the company's preliminary investigation.

Toyota said in a statement that the accelerator pedal was tested and found to be working normally and a backup safety system worked properly. The automaker said the front brakes showed severe wear and damage from overheating, but the rear brakes and parking brake were in good condition.

The motorist, James Sikes, said his car raced to 94 mph on a freeway near San Diego last week. The March 8 incident ended when Sikes stopped the car with help from a California Highway Patrol officer.

While a final report is not yet complete, there are strong indications that the driver's account of the event is inconsistent with the findings of the preliminary analysis," the statement said.

Other details of Toyota's examination of the vehicle were being released at a press conference in San Diego.

Earlier in the day, federal regulators said they were reviewing data from the gas-electric hybrid but so far had not found anything to explain the out-of-control acceleration reported by Sikes.

"We would caution people that our work continues and that we may never know exactly what happened with this car," the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a statement.

Inspectors said they tried to duplicate the acceleration during a two-hour test drive but could not.

Sikes has said the car sped up to 94 mph on a freeway near San Diego. He said he jammed on the brakes trying to stop it.

Sikes called 911, and a highway patrol officer helped bring the vehicle to a safe stop. Though no one was injured, the episode quickly becoming a high-profile headache for Toyota, which like NHTSA sent in an engineering team to investigate.

John Gomez, an attorney for Sikes, said the failure to recreate the incident was insignificant and not surprising.

"They have never been able to replicate an incident of sudden acceleration. Mr. Sikes never had a problem in the three years he owned this vehicle," he said Sunday.

But Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., suggested the failure to duplicate the stuck accelerator, and the presence of a backup system in the car, raised questions about Sikes' story.

"It doesn't mean it didn't happen, but let's understand, it doesn't mean it did happen," Issa said on CBS' "The Early Show."

NHTSA is looking into claims by more than 60 Toyota owners that their vehicles had accelerated unexpectedly even after they were supposedly fixed.

Regulators said in a statement that Sikes' Prius was equipped with a backup safety device that reduces power to the wheels when the brakes and gas are pressed at the same time.

"The system on Mr. Sikes' Prius worked during our engineers' test drive," the statement said.

While investigators from Toyota and NHTSA reviewed the Prius during the same two days, a Transportation Department official said their investigations are separate.

"It does not appear to be feasibly possible, both electronically and mechanically that his gas pedal was stuck to the floor and he was slamming on the brake at the same time," said a memo prepared for Congress that cited a Toyota official.

Toyota has recalled millions of cars because floor mats can snag gas pedals or accelerators can stick. Sikes' car was covered by the floor mat recall but not the one for sticky accelerators. He later told reporters that he tried to pull on the gas pedal during his harrowing ride, but it didn't "move at all."

© 2010 The Associated Press

20. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP9rIIfYUnk

So...I'm going to say: recall problem + the guy not wanting to own the car anymore, + wanting to sue for big money = publicity stunt. ******.

-Cody

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010