close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rule question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rtr, Oct 19, 2002.

1. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

Is it against the rules to have a friend stand near you while you shoot and tell you what your doing wrong during your shoots and or in between strings of fire. For instance saying "your shooting low and left" or whatever. Just curious.

2. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

It will probably depend on a few things. Your age, how new to shooting you are, how close you want them to stand near you.
    The RO's are responsible for safety first overall. That includes the safety of the shooter as well as the bystanders. It may also depend on the RO. Some get a bit anal about what they will do and allow.

I would guess that without standing there whispering "sweet anythings" in your ear, they will let someone stand behind the shooter a few feet.

The other point here is you shouldn't be correcting your shooting by having someone spot your shots. You should be doing all the right things like sight alignment, squeeze the trigger, good stance.......
    Then you don't need anyone behind you. ;) Except of course as a cheering section.;e

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

What TJC said. If your friend really wants a spotter then just have him wear electronic hearing protectors. He'll anything folks say, right Pharaoh? And they don't have to stand close. Personally I think hearing additional information while your shooting will cause you more distraction than help. GSSF does have speed as a consideration and waiting for your spotter will just slow you down.

4. njl

njl

Hey Fireglock...is that what happened on the plates last year in JAX? Your spotter didn't show up? :)

5. Fireglock

Yep, no spotter at Jax, too many at Conyers, I left a plate in Stock Meister, slowed me to a 89.xx. :) It was Glenn's fault, no it was Gene's fault, no it was Steve's fault. I even had Chris helping! I just had too many spotters. ;f Of course unlike one of my "acquaintances" I didn't win Stock Meister with a plate up! ;Q How are your scores coming? ;f All set for Jax?

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

You wouldn't be talking about Richmond, Va. 2001, are you?
    Strange things can happen, can't they?;f Score was a 67.82 with a plate up.
    See, when you plan on leaving a plate, you just have to step up the times a bit. All in the planning. ;) (and a wee bit of LUCK)

7. njl

njl

I've gotten really rusty. Becoming a father has seriously reduced my shooting time, and I've gone from shooting at least twice a week to more like twice a month, and sometimes it's just my AR.

I'm going to have to do some serious practicing as it gets cooler outside if I want to match my scores from last year. I really blew 5-to-Glock last year in AmCiv shooting high...so if I don't repeat that mistake, that should make it a little easier to match or beat that score.

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I have only been to a few matches, but in each, it was certainly no problem to get info between strings. And on my very first match, I was missing the last plate, and the RSO just yelled "low", and I took appropriate action.

9. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

trust me - i know what you are talking about

lol

three kids now and numba 4 due nov 11th

i only get to dream about going shooting

but im looking forward to the day i can start bringing them to the range with me

10. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

In USPSA you can't coach while they are shooting. You can talk about it before and after. (I haven't seen that rule in GSSF?)

The place for coaching is in practice. Most new shooters just get more tense if you try to tell them what they are doing wrong...while the clock is running in a match.

11. Fireglock

Maybe....:) Wish I could shoot a 67.82 with a plate up.

12. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

Ok back to the question, regardless of what you think of this practice etc., is it legal or not?

13. Fireglock

Nothing that I am aware of says you can't coach another shooter. According to where you're shooting the match and what the range officer feels is a safe distance, you may not be able to get close enough to help without speaking rather loudly. Most range officers don't want anyone but the working ROs close to the shooter. Safety being the primary issue. Most youth shooters get help from their parent or guardian when shooting, usually between strings.

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

rtr;

I know of nothing directly in the rules pertaining to this. In my 3 years of shooting GSSF it has been a judgement call by the RO in charge of that stage. As stated it can be distracting and probably more harm than help during a match. May I suggest that if you really feel that insecure about your shooting that you spend a little more time on the practice range until you feel you can call your ownb shots. Not trying to insult you but when you are shooting the RO's at the line "Most" times will tell you if you are shooting high/low and too many chiefs and not enough indians really mess you up more.

Just my humble suggestion.

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

RTR

How can you focus and contentrate on shooting if you are listening for coaching assistance? The time to learn where your shots are going is at practice.

16. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

Clearly I'm not the expert, however, at least in between strings if my buddy sees that I'm milking the trigger, or shooting high, or my grip is screwed up etc. it helps me to know that as I can correct for it.

17. Fireglock

18. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

rtr;

You are absolutely correct Except ; this is a task for the practice range and not match. When it comes match time you should be prepared to shoot your best and learn from your mistakes. You have the right idea but in the wrong place. Again we are only trying to be helpfull not critisize. But to really enjoy and do your best you need to complete this kind of preparation before not during the match. Besides things like grip and stance comes down to the individual. There are solid recommended grips and stances but if you feel more comfortable and shoot better with a different grip or stance then that is what you should use.

19. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Keep in mind the match is for all skill levels. Not everyone is going to dump 6 shots in 2 seconds. Some people will go slow and take their time, and have plenty of time for feedback between shots. If you are doing something wrong, that is easily corrected, it is no problem.

This guy is obviously a newcomer, why not just answer his question instead of critiqueing it? If he wanted criticism, he could have posted over in GNG.

20. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

I'm not taking it as criticism, I appreciate your help Don, Fireglock, DannyR etc., unfortunately right now there isn't a place I can really practice the specific GSSF stages, however I'm working on it. Hopefully I'll get to the point that I won't have to have my buddy tell me "your missing all the targets":)