close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rule for extra shots

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glockess56, Aug 9, 2011.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I've been shooting GSSF outdoor matches since 2004, so it's not my first rodeo. I've never seen, heard or experienced this situation until the Brighton, MI match. I know by the rules that we can load one in the pipe and then 10 (not talking about major sub). I do this and have some left over if I haven't missed too many plates!. I was pasting at a stage when someone had more than six on the target. The person was argueing that more could be on the target but the six highest would be counted. I never knew this was a rule, but I've never had to experience this rule either, so I didn't have a reason in the past to look it up. I know in some other shooting disciplines, if more than the required number of shots are on a target, the ROs start with the least and go forward to the highest scoring ring. Has anyone ever been familiar with any of this in a GSSF competition? Is there a rule? Any information is greatly appreciated and thanks. I think if you're shooting extra, the timer will pick that up and you'll have a higher time.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

where an extra shot was not pasted, by accident, from a previous shooter. In this case, the RO took the 6 best shots for my score (which I think was accurate because the extra shot was a low D, the only D on my target).

I thought if you took extra shots on cardboard, it was a 10 second penalty....certainly not worth it if you think you missed a target....

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

the timer would have the total shots fired plus the time. if it's an extra shot it'd be a procedureal penality for each shot fired. if it were me i'd score the 6 best and count the procedurals.

it's not all that uncommon for shoot throughs to happen, it did at Marietta this year. When that happens it isn't hard to figure out, and the timeer again ought to have the total rounds fired.

4. SARDG

SARDG

I think that the next match I RO, I will bring this up in the Saturday Briefing so that every RO is on the same page. GSSF's page.

In the 2 matches I've worked, I've always (every string) checked the shot counter - but more for the fact that picking up adjacent stages was an issue. I'm counting rounds from the competitor, too. Except Ed's strings probably sound more like a minigun.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i always count shots in MSub/HM and quite often count them in other divisions when I RO. I think it was the world famous Bamatrooper that fired an extra shot a year or two ago at the Pensacola match in MSub and then reported his self to the RO for a procedureal before I could.

6. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

Great idea. Also, please bring up the fact plastic, non-weighted grip plugs are allowed even in Amateur Civilian. I had a RO tell me last match he wasn't going to make a big deal of it though ... that I was using one. I pointed out I had an e-mail from Ms. Donna stating they were legal and could retrieve it on my smartphone if he cared to see it. He didn't.

7. SARDG

SARDG

I won't be at a match until Conyers but I probably should bring this up as well - for all of the RO's benefit. In many ways, it doesn't matter what's in rules - if an RO perceives some rule or another incorrectly, it slows down the match and causes incorrect scoring or some additional hassle (like removing a grip plug, perhaps).

I'll have to make myself a note for these things, otherwise... :crying:

BTW, as some of you know, Cindy N. notified last year's Conyers ROs and will open it up to other RO volunteers soon. She seems immensely organized and pairs the new ROs with seasoned past ROs for training. What a concept! :faint:

8. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

At the Jackson NJ match in June, the targets on the 5 to Glock were situated close together from the shooters point of view. So close that if the shooter was not lined up properly, the near targets overlapped the far targets at the edges. As I was pasting targets, I saw first hand that some shooters had more than 6 shots on near targets because those shots were intended for the far targets, but clipped the near targets.

The RO scored the best 6 shots (with no penalties for the "extra" shots) and of course "Mikes" on the far targets.

9. 1-504 PIR

1-504 PIR

The situation occurred exactly like Glockness56 described it, becasue I met and talked to the shooter that did it. The extra hole wasn't from a shot from another target. When the shooter was telling me the story, my reaction was, I can't believe I havn't made up a shot in the past years if I had a round in the "D" scoring area, sure wish I knew that rule.

Well, later on at the match I saw this same shooter and she made a point to let me know that the information she passed on was incorrect and you can't make up shots.

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Your last sentence is absolutely correct: " you cannot make up shots on any cardboard targets" in GSSF.

Don