Ruger?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GreyEclipse, Mar 20, 2010.

1. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I would love to love Ruger. They put out one hell of a machine sometimes...
    but I just don't get it. Practically all their new designs get recalled.
    They're super reliable once they do it right and they're amazingly durable.
    I don't understand them sometimes, why would they continually put out bad products over and over only to recall them every time they make a new design? Not to mention that out of all the guns that I've dealt with, Ruger is the one that I have the most problems with. When their guns work, they work...work, work...work, work and keep on working.
    But if they don't then they have to be recalled and a recalled firearm is not something that I would risk my life on. I mean sure they fix a design.
    But why would they put so many out there when they've had the same recall problem multiple times with different designs.

Anyways, what's everyone's take on Ruger?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I like their revolvers a lot. Don't care for their semiautomatics. Dunno anything about their rifles, but the 10/22 I shot was a lot of fun.

3. paulbow

paulbow

I love my Red Label

4. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Its went down hill after Ruger died and possibly before that...

5. mastrbloata

mastrbloata

SR9-Resolved.
    LCP-Resolved.

I think what the problem might be is that they are racing hard against the other makers to get some of the market share they've been missing all those years while this firearms market is red hot with gun banning fears and the CC rage.

What's left that Ruger may be having problems with? The LCR? Beyond that, they seem to have it all pretty much dicked at this point unless I missed something.

6. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

the 10/22 is a great rifle that's never been recalled. I've shot a couple of ruger revolvers that were quite nice as well. can't really say much about them though cuz i only put a couple of cylinders through them, but I owned a 10/22 and it was my favorite .22.

7. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I for one have always been impressed with Ruger. Sure they have some issues with certain models, but they also have a LOT of great firearms to offer. Great .22's (love the 10/22's, pretty much all their .22 revolvers, and the MK's are as solid as you're gonna get for reliable rimfire pistols), I don't mind the VAST majority of their auto pistols (particularly their old steel autos), bolt action rifles are nice and rugged (lots to choose from), not bad shotguns, and I've always been impressed with their extensive revolver list. I'm not sure why they put so much into their controversial mini-14's, people are much bigger fans of their other auto carbines.

People like to badmouth Ruger, but they have such a solid variety to choose from, I think some people forget what's all there. There's stuff for the novice and the expert, someone wanting something for defense, hunting, concealed carry, and fun plinking, and they're some of the best go-to guns for someone on a budget.

8. Willieboy

Willieboy

I've been surprised by the number of QC problems people seem to be having lately too, and I am a Ruger fan.

I haven't bought a gun though in years and my newest Ruger is at least five years old. Of all I've owned over the years, the only one that was recalled was the P85, right after they came out.

I also had to send a Mini-14 back because it began firing 3 round bursts. (As soon as it did, I had two offers to buy the gun from guys on the range.) Ruger fixed the problem by installing a new trigger group.

9. fowl intent

fowl intent

Ruger's forte has always been overbuilding steel handguns/shotguns/rifles. Maybe their recent venture into the synthetic handguns (LCP & LCR) is a source of some of the QC issues.

10. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Ruger recalls are SOP.

As long as you don't buy a new model Ruger during its first year of production you normally will get a good quality firearm.

11. WarMachine

WarMachine

I recently sent my LCR back after the firing pin stopped resetting. You would pull the trigger, and the firing pin would remain forward and visible. Ruger sent a UPS truck to pick it up on Tuesday. I haven't seen or heard anything from them since.

It would have been nice to get a call, email, or something with an update, or with an idea of when I can expect it back. Especially since I assume I will need to be here to sign for it. Hopefully, they'll email me a tracking number soon so I can take off from work and school.

Anything mechanical can fail, but my confidence in the thing has really dropped. Less than 200 rounds fired. I suppose the confidence issue has been compounded by their recent recalls and from other reports I've heard for LCR owners and trigger group problems.

Whenever it gets back to me, I may trade it for something else. I've been using my M&P in the interim, and concealing the thing isn't nearly bad as I thought it was going to be. But I do miss the light weight and concealibility of my LCR, especially since my dress will be changing to polos and t-shirts when the weather warms up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  12. ronin.45

ronin.45

For .22's I like nothing but Ruger. The revolvers are super solid but I'm a Smith guy. The autos have never appealed to me.

I think the "R" in the Hard R line is for recall. They have had some serious issues since Bill died.

13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Price competition is killing the value gun makers. You will notice that there are no recalls on their high priced guns like the 77s or No1s. They must make the best gun they can, but the pressure to hold the price down is extreme. And they need to put something new out every year or people will start thinking they are slipping.

14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I have 2 Ruger LCPs and a 10/22 that I've had for 30+ yrs. I love the LCPs. My wife has 1 and I have the other. Very convenient and they've been reliable for us. My 10/22 is just a great gun. I can't imagine how many rounds have been put through it. And now my daughters shoot it. And absolutely no problems with it at all.

15. viniglock

viniglock

As with any new product in the market always get the second generation (or subsequent for that matter) my 1/2 cent.

16. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I love Ruger 22's and 357 revolvers.

17. Girevik61

Girevik61

Ruger revolvers and semi auto .22's are great.

18. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

practically ALL their new designs get recalls?
    I think you are exaggerating.
    First, they produced years of pistols that are some of the most
    reliable ever made by any maker.
    Security Six
    Mark 1,2,3
    Their new .22 lineup
    Single six
    Blackhawk
    Redhawk
    GP100
    Sp100
    Service six
    Speed six
    p89,p90,p93,p94,p95
    Can anyone question any of the above?
    Then they put out two recalled pistols, LCP and SR9.
    The LCP recall really had nothing to do with reliability. I had two
    pre recall ones that ran just fine.
    But lawyers require a gun to be made that is idiot proof.
    Even at that TWO GUNS in their history had issues.
    Both now resolved.
    That would make you avoid Ruger? You are missing on some great
    guns.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  19. bac1023

bac1023

I like their revolvers, P-series pistols, and rimfires.

20. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

My three Rugers are a 10/22, a MK II and an SP101 all work great.