Ruger wrangler

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by MNBud, Sep 16, 2020.

1. MNBud

MNBud

Somebody, help me, I’m constantly being enticed by this revolver and I’m not certain why. I have never owned a single action revolver and not sure why I would want one, but every time I see mention of one, I rush out to see who has one in stock. So who has one and what are your thoughts?

2. ede

ede

For what it is it's great but it isn't all that accurate. Single Actions will wear you out loading and unloading if you shoot much. If you want an accurate SA revolver get a Single Six.

3. pgg00

pgg00

I have one. It is fun. Better quality then a heritage arms i have as well. Good for teaching new shooters as well (i take the 10 year old nephew out and he shoots it).

The local shop has 2 in stock as of yesterday. Better hurry and get one :)

4. Bradley T

Bradley T

I fired about 1500 rounds after buying it last October. It's accurate enough. I could hit in the scoring rings on a B2 target at fifty yards fairly consistently. I got those Ruger black laminated grips for mine. Looks better and shoots better too.
    For me it is a unique way of practicing fundamentals.
    In addition to the stocks, I also need that black holster they have at Shop Ruger.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  5. blueiron

blueiron

They are fun revolvers, but the alloy receivers and the finishes just leave me cold. The trigger pull wasn't great either.

The Single Six is mostly steel and will last for generations. It balances better in the hand as well.

6. MNBud

MNBud

I will do a little homework on the single six, maybe this is a better option.

7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have an old single six that was my dads. It is probably the first pistol I ever shot. For that reason it is memorable to shoot. However, it is slow to reload, only holds 6 and is slow to fire. It is boring to shoot. I usually only run a couple cylinder's through it before I switch to a semi auto 22 for fun. I probably wouldn't buy a single action with so many good semi autos on the market.

Doc Holliday and ronin.45 like this.
  8. ronin.45

ronin.45

I had a Super Single Six years ago. I loved the idea of the gun, but didn't like shooting it. Loading and unloading a single action is a pain and rimfire makes it worse. With the variability in 22lr ammo, I'd never buy one with fixed sights. You may never get it to shoot point of aim.

9. knoxville36

knoxville36

I bought one a couple months ago for the heck of it. Had a coupon for $25 to Shoot Point Blank. Paid $165 for mine so it was a good deal. It is a fun little shooter and quite heavy. Wish it could shoot magnums like the Heritage with a cylinder change. I think the Ruger is a little bit better wuality wise. It is good as it makes you slow down and can really make ammo go along way since you have to plunge it to unload, then load individually. It is really fun little shooter and nothing else.

I got the bronze color and I really like it for what it is.

10. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I Don't worry about accuracy in mine as it was never meant for target in my opinion. It's not used a lot, but it's fun to put a box through now and then.

11. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

I like mine..

A ruger handgun for under 200 bucks?

Yes, please.

Bluescot and FullClip like this.
  12. MNBud

MNBud

Well, I made the decision last night, after reading all the postings, I determined the single six would be the best option, so I did a Buy it now on a 6 1/2 inch stainless 22LR/WMR. I think this will be a nice addition to my 22 collection. Since this picture I have added a Taurus TX22 and a Ruger Charger and now the Single Six. Now I'm SURE I'm done buying 22's.
    PB210944.JPG

13. morpheus171

morpheus171

I think you will like the Single Six. I just got the 4 5/8 blued version. Got the Williams FO sights and walnut grips coming. Also ordered a Wolff spring kit. I can go into my local shop where .22 WMR is on the shelf. They have the VMAX version 200 round box for 37.99 whereas, I am hitting the ammo fort for .22LR.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  14. MNBud

MNBud

With my vision, the Williams fiber optic sights were the first thing to get ordered and then I ordered a B-Square rail just in case I want to install a red dot later on. This is the first I have heard about the Wolfe spring kit. Is this for making a lighter single action or just a smoother pull?

15. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Yep, if money is no object, get the single-six over the wrangler. But, the wrangler is a nice little plinker, just don't expect it to be a target pistol.

tuica likes this.
  16. DrewBone

DrewBone

Uh huh.

(LOL)

17. morpheus171

morpheus171

Their kit covers both.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

18. Wojo88

Wojo88

I purchased my Single Six in 1986, came with the 22 mag cylinder, can't say enough good things about this pistol. Was and still is one of my favorites to plink with, had many great outings squirrel hunting with it. Well built and accurate, my son has a Heritage rough rider and there is no comparison on the quality and build. You won't be disappointed............

Nutty Professor 188 and tuica like this.
  19. MNBud

MNBud

Thanks everyone for you replies, hoping to hear from my FFL on Wednesday or Thursday.
    Williams sights will be here Friday.

tuica likes this.
  20. morpheus171

morpheus171

Got the Williams FO sights installed today. Easy install and vast improvement for a sight picture. Also got another 200 round box of WMR ammo. Range time tomorrow to get the sights squared away.