Ruger SR9?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by StoneDog, Jan 10, 2010.

1. StoneDog

StoneDog

EDIT: Moderators, please move this to the GNG forum - sorry!!! :)

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a full sized polymer pistol in either 9mm or .40S&W. At the top of the list was the full sized M&P. That is, until I handled an SR9 yesterday. The grip felt fantastic but I didn't get a chance to try the trigger...

Who out there has a relatively new SR9? How do they compare to the M&P (or G17/22 or XD)?

Jon

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The G17 is by far the best of the bunch. Yes, you really need to try the trigger on the Ruger.

I KNOW you wanted to hear that since you posted this in General Glocking..... :)

3. StoneDog

StoneDog

LOL, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, but thanks for the unbiased opinion Butch.

4. Range Rat

Range Rat

The Ruger was my first pistol (other than a Ruger Mark III .22lr) and it was a fine pistol. I used it for some IDPA competitions and lots of indoor target shooting as well as concealed carry. You are right, the grip feels great. I had no problems at all with it but got to the point where I wanted to standardize around the Glock platform and just sold the SR9 off for $300 to a good friend. Having participated in the Ruger semi-auto forum, it seems that others have had QC issues with their SR9 and I came to the conclusion that SR9 quality was variable depending on the pistol.
    Go shoot the Springfield Armory XDM 9mm. In my opinion, it's a much better pistol. The Glocks are, of course, fine weapons, utterly reliable and parts easily available. I'm a Glock pistol guy so am biased. If you love the SR9, it should serve you well. If you are unsure, try the SA and Glock, and maybe the M&P.

5. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Actually belongs in General Firearms Forum.

6. bac1023

bac1023

The trigger kills the SR9.

Other than the trigger, I actually like it. However, the trigger is really terrible.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

For the price you cannot go wrong with the SR9. Everything (after recalls) Ruger makes is high quality, and a real bang for the buck.

I have heard after the SR9 gets a few hundred rounds down the pipe the trigger really smoothes out.

8. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

From the ones Ive seen, and several friends have bought, the SR9 is a crap shoot. Maybe youll get a winner, maybe not. Personally, Id never consider it over the S&W M&P you mentioned.

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

nah I would pass. For $400 get a glock. It has a good trigger and is reliable.
    If you want a reliable semi with a bad trigger get a sigma for less than the SR9. No reason to get the Ruger. Crapshoot on quality, and a bad trigger. Doesn't inspire confidence.

10. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Dont plunk your cash down til you've held a Steyr.

11. raven11

raven11

if you can find one:crying:

12. Just1More

Just1More

Why buy a Glock clone?