Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They run around the same price and let's pretend that the rugers are easier to come by .....it would be my first 1911 im just looking for something cheap but good quality nothing fancy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
How soon do you want to acquire your 1st 1911? If you want one sooner than later, go for the Springfield.

If you can wait a few months, get the SR1911.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Señor Mombo
2,858 Posts
I have both. It depends on what purpose you'll put it to.

I haven't had the Roooooger long enough to trust it fully. It did arrive with some peculiar spring tensions. Not as finished, functionally speaking, as the Springfield. Everything was in the right place, but it took some polishing to get it to work smoothly. In particular, the disconnector relationship to the slide made the entire gun difficult to operate. Also, hammer tension was difficult to overpower when charging the pistol. Like I said, rough. Slide stop cut through the frame rail, which really cheapens the gun, IMHO.

Springfield customer service is the best I've ever experienced. Top drawer company and product.

I use the Springfield in competition and, therefore, it is a very smooth pistol. It was very tight at first and required a break-in period of about 300 rounds.

Rooooooooooger is going to require way more attention to smooth out than the Springfield did.

Both are very accurate.

My EDC is a Glock -- duh. If I had to carry one of the 1911s for serious work, I'd carry neither the Springfield nor Roooooooooooooger. Colt is the huckleberry in that department.

·
Registered
129,779 Posts
Ruger by far. Way more gun for the money.

And let me add that my GI has been back to SACS for some upgrades (sights, ejection port, trigger, msh) and I still like the Ruger better.
The Ruger is a solid 1911 and a great value.

I do like Springfield for the fact that there is a forged frame present and that top smiths will use them as base guns.

Like I said, they're very different options for the same money and it all depends on the intended use.

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
I believe he meant inexpensive.

Both of those 1911s are good quality and inexpensive.
Well thats open to some debate, the Ruger's internals are largely manufactured via MIM, I don't know much about the so-called SA milspec pistols, except that they are not milspec.

Nonetheless both companies are perfectly capable of delivering good product to market.

·
INFRINGED
42,217 Posts
In that price range I would take the Springfield every time.
Then again the added on bullcrap that so many people like don't mean squat to me.

What you will get in the Springfield is a forged frame and slide, killer customer service, and most major gunsmiths will be happy to work on a Springfield.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Personally, I like the bells and whistles that the Ruger SR1911 comes with. It really lacks nothing.

The Springfield GI is a nice, bare-bones 1911. If I wanted a basic 1911, I would rather spend less money for a RIA. If the Ruger was the same cost as the Springer, I would opt for the Ruger.

·
Registered
129,779 Posts
My SA GI is reliable and plenty accurate enough for SD, I carry it often without hesitation.
Yeah, but it lacks lowered and flared ejection port or a polished feed ramp. While it may feed JHP ammo well enough, its designed to shoot ball ammo.

I personally would not carry a stock GI with modern defense ammo, but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.