Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
My favorite carry for my 3" SP101 is appendix. I will admit that I carry the LCP more often.

If someone thinks this is a caliber war, so be it but it's not my intention. My SP101 puts out over 600 ft lbs using Buffalo Bore 158 gr JHPs (Oehler chrono data). No other common self defense caliber can do that, only the 10mm, in top end loads and longer barrels can approach that power level. Plus the .357 most likely has better sectional density, therefore all things being equal, better barrier performance.

Some whine about the Ruger's trigger. Mine has a smooth DA pull and an excellent SA pull. Does it equal some custom 1911? No, but it's excellent. Don

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I bought one in the mid-nineties with the intention of carrying it.....even had a custom horsehide holster made for it. It hid well and carried like a dream. The problem was with shooting it...nasty little bastard, it was. It wasn't really controllable with .357 ammo. I finally decided there wasn't much point in having a .357 if you couldn't use full power ammo....so I sold it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I get the urge every now and then. I have owned the 2"&3" version. I love them they feel awesome. I buy one and then realize if it's only 5 shots I can carry my steel j frame. I then figure the additional weight should allow me to shoot 357. I shoot a cylinder of 357 and am reminded that for some reason they slice my finger. I then sell it for a loss and return to my j frame.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Mine shot .357 rounds just fine. It just didn't like ejecting the empties.
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention that problem in my previous post; but that was another reason I sold mine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had one in the '90s. After carrying a steel-framed 1911, the Ruger seemed almost not there. I thought the factory grips did a good job with recoil. 125 and 158 gr. factory ammo was not unpleasant to shoot, IMO. I usually carried it IWB with a speed strip in a front pocket for a reload.

The only real issue was the size. It wasn't a "full-sized" gun by any stretch of the imagination. And yet it was too heavy for pocket carry and too bulky for ankle carry.

And one day I realized it was actually about the same size as my Glock 23, which carried around 2.5 times the ammo.

I liked the SP101. Unlike some small carry guns, it was actually good for lots of shooting, as opposed to lots of carry and a little shooting.

But in the end, I sold it to fund some other gun purchase.

And while the trigger was smooth, it had the typical Bill Ruger lawyer-proof pull weight.

I eventually replaced it with an aluminum J-frame .38 Spl. And realizing I no longer owned anything in .357, I also bought a pawn shop S&W 581.

I like Ruger's single-action revolvers, but the double-actions, while built like tanks, still just have too much trigger.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I had one for a short time,never got to really get comfortable with it. My best friend’s sister was recently widowed and wanted a gun for the house,i took her shooting with various guns/calibers and she really liked/wanted the little sp101 so i loaded it with .38 winchester self defense rounds and gave it a new home.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
My favorite carry for my 3" SP101 is appendix. I will admit that I carry the LCP more often.

If someone thinks this is a caliber war, so be it but it's not my intention. My SP101 puts out over 600 ft lbs using Buffalo Bore 158 gr JHPs (Oehler chrono data). No other common self defense caliber can do that, only the 10mm, in top end loads and longer barrels can approach that power level. Plus the .357 most likely has better sectional density, therefore all things being equal, better barrier performance.

Some whine about the Ruger's trigger. Mine has a smooth DA pull and an excellent SA pull. Does it equal some custom 1911? No, but it's excellent. Don
These get 675 EFP even higher SD, in the 3'',

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

➤ 3-inch S&W J Frame
a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard cast LFN = 1302 fps

I cast and load a 187gr version of it.

We love all four of our SP101s.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Due to it's weight and solid feel, I find mine to be easy to shoot well, even with .357 loads. But then, I don't find the lightweight J-frames to be particularly objectionable in .357, so of course the 101 seems pretty mild. I have a Bianchi IWB holster that works well with the 101 for me. I think it's called the Model 100 Professional.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I’ve had mine for a while DAO 2.25”. It takes effort to shoot straight, but well worth the trigger finger training. I was able to hit steel 9” plates at 15yards with WWB 38sp.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,401 Posts
I had one chambered in .327 H&R Magnum, and I owned it for three years, trying really, really hard to like it.

But I carried it with arguably one of the best self defense rounds available at the time, Federal's American Eagle 100 grain soft points. Shooting a 100 grain bullet at 1500 fps out of that gun was pure torture.

In a reverent display of masochistic tendency, I strapped it with some Badger Secret Service grips one day and headed to the range. After 12 rounds, I'd found that I had actually split the webbing of my right hand between my index finger and my thumb.

It was all I could take. Sure, I could load it down, but then it wouldn't be as effective from a defensive standpoint, so I sold it a bought a CZ P-07 and called it good.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.