Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get one of these, but am having trouble deciding whether on the two or three inch barrel. Might carry concealed in the future, but for now just a general field and house gun... I reload and would like to shoot this gun abit; which is why I was leaning toward the three inch. Any thoughts? Does anybody have a two inch model? How was the accuracy and over all feel when shooting?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
I own the 2-inch SP101 with the shrouded hammer. It fits in your pocket, no hammer to snag. It's also nice to toss in the glovebox. The little snubby just doesn't take up a lot of space.

However, full .357 Magnum rounds absolutely rattle my teeth. I have Hogue grips, but it hurts to shoot .357 rounds. So I've gone with those Speer Gold Dot .38 +P rounds that were specifically engineered for snub-nose revolvers.

Accuracy? Well, the barrel is actually just under two inches, so I wouldn't get excited about shooting anything "down range." But if some knucklehead walks up to you, pulls a knife, and demands money, it's over...

·
Registered
19,510 Posts
I have one with the 2.25 barrel. It is surprisingly accurate for a gun that has a groove in the frame for a rear sight.
The kick with .357s is a bit much for me, so I mostly practice with .38s.
For me, the funny thing about both of my Ruger revolvers is that I shoot them more accurately in double action than in single action. I think it is because the hammer drops so cleanly in double action.

That said, I think the gun looks very cool with a 3 inch barrel, and since the SP101 is no pocket pistol (IMHO), this may be a good choice. Remember, the SP101 is basically a .38 frame on steroids.
Also, the 3 inch, with 3/4 inch more barrel, will likely get more velocity out of any .357 loads you choose to put through the gun.
One other thing, I had to change out the stock grips for some Uncle Mike grips after the first shooting session with .357s. I feel that I damaged my hand with the stock grips. Be aware that some grips have no padding on the backstrap and I think this is a very important feature for magnum revolvers.
... padded backstrap vs. non padded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank guys... Think I'll go with the three inch. Thinking it will be more to my liking.

·
PRO 2A
2,154 Posts
I agree for a field and house gun I'd go 3". For that matter I'd look at a 4" GP100 as well if you want to stay in the Ruger family.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that the SP101 is my favorite revolver that I own so far. I don't mind the recoil but I shoot it fairly slow and in single action mostly. It is more accurate then I am.

I feel it is not the best choice for carry for me thow.

That is a G19 under there!

And next to a 642.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I carry the two inch dao SP101 (on my hip right now). It is plenty accurate at 10-15 yards or less. Now if you want to shoot 25+ yards, you might wanna go 4" gp100. SP101 only makes sense if you are considering carrying it at any time.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The SP100 is on my want list. I'm thinking the 6 shot .327 instead of the .357 with a 3" BBL. The balance of a small frame revolver with a 3" bbl is almost perfect IMO.

·
woo woo
31,004 Posts
I like the 3" version most, having had the 2.25" DAO before.
It's still a belt gun, IMO, so the extra barrel doesn't matter and it's a little easier to work with at longer ranges.
I went 3" with the GP100 too.:supergrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts