Ruger SP101

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ColCol, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ColCol

ColCol

Anyone own a Ruger SP101? I haven't owned a revolver in years but this one caught my eye at a gun show last month. I couldn't believe how small it was for a 357 Magnum. I hear they're nearly bullet proof, strong and reliable. The one I saw was a 3 inch barrel and really felt good in the hand.

My last 357 was a M28 Highway Patrolman with a six inch barrel(I think) but that was in the mid '70's. The SP101 looks like a good car gun to me. I'm sure the muzzle blast from full bore 357 loads would be quite loud, however.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

They're great guns. I carry mine often.

3. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

+ 100

Picked another one up last week. Will post pics this week when I finish giving it the Shady treatment.

4. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

5. megadeth

megadeth

I decided months ago it's going to be my next purchase. I'm just saving the cash.

6. samuse

samuse

I have one. 357 with a spur hammer and 3" bbl. Can't say enough good things about it.

I love it, but never carried it because when you factor in size/weight/capacity vs. a Glock 19, it doesn't seem like a good choice.

I hope I never sell it, it's one of my favorite guns. I can pull off doubles and controlled pairs ridiculously fast and accurately with 38sp+p.

It is one of my best shooting guns. I feel very confident and have trained with Glocks and 1911s, but my SP101 is right there with 'em, maybe ahead in terms of shootability, but it is lacking in capacity.

It is a very fun gun to shoot, I shoot steel with it occasionally and it's nice to get back to basics. No missing allowed with a 5 round gun!

My girlfriend has chosen it as her favorite gun. She shot all of my 9mm Glocks, J-frames, Hi-Power, XD and 1911s. When she pulled the trigger on the SP101, I never got it back. Glad she found one she likes.

If you can't tell, I highly recommend the SP101.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. The Hawk

The Hawk

Excellent firearm. I highly recommend you getting one. I bought one many years ago and have never regretted it. Rugged, dependable, and a dang good looking weapon.

8. DonD

DonD

Stuff it full of Buffalo Bore 158 gr Gold Dots and it has more penetration and energy than any typical defensive caliber gun. Don

9. ColCol

ColCol

I've yet to hear anyone say they detest buying one. My only concern was it's diminutive size compared to say, a S&W 4 inch 686. The 357 is a powerful cartridge and wasn't sure about the muzzle blast/flash from the smaller Ruger...as well as recoil. It's been years since I've shot a 357 and that was in an N-frame Smith.

10. ray glock

ray glock

They are good revolvers for the money. Just don't pay to much. When they get around the price of an older P&R Smith I buy the Smith.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

One downside I hear from people is that, for the round count they carry and the size guns they're made to compete with in market share (J-frames), they really have a very heavy frame. This really helps the recoil at the cost of ease of carry. It sounds trite, but .38 specials out of it really do have about the same recoil as a .22. It's pretty remarkable.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

They are great revolvers. If you want a car gun I would go for the full size Ruger GP100 though.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

One advantage to having a .357 snub as a car gun is that, in the event you have to shoot somebody, you can add insult to injury by also burning off their eyebrows with the muzzle blast.

14. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

Love it. It has been my carry gun for a while. I put a crimson trace laser on mine.

15. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

The muzzle blast is indeed impressive with these Sp101's. But the recoil is not so bad... especially if you install some Hogue rubber grips (or Trasch grips).

16. jobob

jobob

They are great little revolvers. I have one of the early ones when they were made in 38 spl only. For a car gun I'd recommend you only shoot 38s in it, cause the blast from the 357 inside a car will surely cause ear damage! A CT laser grip would be a good addition for a car gun, too. My truck gun is a S&W 642 with the CT grips, and it's a fine set up.

17. FLSlim

FLSlim

I've had mine for a year of so. 357 w/ 3 in. barrel. It took me some time to get used to it. I added a lighter main spring, but no need to replace the trigger spring. Double action is smooth after a break-in period. I have two complaints, 1)I think it is a bit heavy for carry considering it is a 5-shooter (my G23 is much easier to tote around and it loads up with 13 rounds) and 2) I find the stock grip a little small-which places my trigger finger too far into the guard. I've tried a Pachmayr grip, but it wasn't much help and interfered with use of a speed loader.

All in all, it isn't my goto gun, but it is super reliable, reasonably priced, and built to take a beating for a lifetime.

18. cooden

cooden

I was shooting mine yesterday with .357 & .38+P ammo, it's shoots so gentle with the .38's.

I agree with everyone here abou the SP101. I probably won't ever carry it due the rounds allowed, but for a truck/car & nightstand gun, it can't be beat.

19. youngvr4

youngvr4

i carried mine around for a couple years. love it.