Ruger sp101 trigger work

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by klampton317, Feb 11, 2010.

1. klampton317

klampton317

I just got an sp101 and was wondering about the specifics of lightening the DA pull. I have done enough searching to know that it responds well to trigger work and a smoother pull can be achieved by adding different springs. I have been unable to find out what the best springs are or where I can get them. Any insights would be much appreciated.

2. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

3. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Go and join Rugerforum.net and get 10 posts in. It'll give you access to the Library section and there's a .pdf there about doing trigger work for the SP101 that was written by Rugerforum.net's resident gunsmith Iowegan. He'll also answer any and all questions you have about your gun.

Before you go and slap new springs in it, you really need to debur some of the parts a bit. Honestly, I found that time itself took care of the deburring and the trigger pull on mine now is pretty good, but I know it can be made even better if I so desire. Didn't take long to loosen up. You can, dry fire a Ruger with no consequences, even says so in the manual that comes with it. That said, I still recommend some snap caps and don't just squeeze the trigger rapidly, do it slowly just like if you were going to fire the gun.

Good luck.

4. Chainlink

Chainlink

X2 on this....I have found just shooting them smooths them up nice. Which just doing a fluff and buff will get same results.

5. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Don't bother with a spring kit. My SP101 has a sweet SA trigger and if you want to smooth out your DA trigger just dry fire the heck out of it. Ruger's are built like a brick s***house, you're not going to hurt it.

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I put the 10 lb Wolff hammer spring in my SP101, it still ignites the CCI primers reliably the 9 lb doesn't in my gun.

7. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

The IBOK article is no longer available on the Ruger forum. It can be purchased though. Check rugerforum.net. I installed the Wolf 10lb. main spring (comes with 9,10 and 12lb) and the trigger reset spring. Did some polishing following an old article I found and my SP101 has a smooth easy DA pull.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I did the same with my GP100 and SP101 and it made a huge difference.

9. klampton317

klampton317

thanks for the great info. I will check the Ruger forum. It will definitely be getting some dry fire practice anyway.