Ruger sp101 - should I get one?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jvbronco, May 2, 2012.

1. jvbronco

jvbronco

I've been shopping around for a .357 mag, 3 inch barrel version of this gun for a while.
    I found one at the local shop for $469 +taxes and fees. Should put me around $500 out the door.

I would rather not spend the cash right now but this looks to be a decent deal and I'm afraid to pass it up.

I'd appreciate any comments for or against purchasing this gun.

Thanks!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. glockrex

glockrex

I have one, it is built like a tank. I got mine for $250 used, but that was 4 years ago. If you get it, you won't be disappointed!

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Sounds a bit high. Make a deal, and take it home!

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'd get a 3" GP100 and the extra round, or an LCR.

With those two, the SP101 lacks a role.

5. collim1

collim1

Absolutely you should get one. $500OTD is a good price. They run $519+tax new in my area.

I love my 4" 8 shot SP101 in .22LR. Its built like a tank and makes a great gun to keep around the boat and hunting property.

6. jvbronco

jvbronco

Thanks for the info guys!

I am actually wanting the 3-inch SP101 specifically to fill the roles of those two guns (GP100 and LCR). That size will allow me to carry it (LCR), as well as feel comfortable with it in the woods (GP100). The longer barrel will allow for better ballistics than the 2-inch or shorter barrel of the LCR).

While it may not fill each role as well as the larger or smaller counterpart, I feel like it is a good middle ground.

budsgunshop.com has this particular gun listed at $477, but is out of stock. I have found buds' prices to be very competitive. I do not expect to find on in the $200 or $300 range (how cool would that be??), but mid-to-low $400 would be awesome.

7. seed

seed

I have the SP101 and really like it. It was an impulse buy way back when I was feeling sorry for myself (some girl dumped me, I believe...like I said, it was years ago). Anyway, it worked out as .357 is definitely a platform for a revolver everyone should have and they should have it in one that can handle the hottest of offerings without reservation. But I will never understand how anyone can consider the SP101 to be small and or good for carry. It is big for what it is and definitely heavy. And as much as I like it, I probably should have gotten the GP100 instead for the extra round. I'm not going to bother going from one to the other though.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Its a great revolver for sure. :cool:

As most Rugers go, its not exactly refined, but its tough as nails.

9. jvbronco

jvbronco

This is a very good point. The SP101 isn't ideal for carry, but it is definitely the form-factor I am looking for right now.

10. 09crue

09crue

tough as nails is the best way to describe the sp101,it will last for years..the downside,it's heavy,weighs almost double the weight of the LCR...great gun though if you don't mind the extra weight for eveyday carry..

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

My opinion is that the SP101 is awfully heavy. I would opt for a 3 inch K frame if I didn't mind some weight or a J frame if I wanted something lighter.

12. seed

seed

If you do get it, make sure you get the Hogue grips for it. I'm not one of those automatic Hogue-grip lovers, but it definitely worked out on the SP101. Of all the Hogue grips I have ever experienced, this was by far the best and made the biggest impact.

13. Jeep junky

Jeep junky

The sp101 fills a role neither the LCR, or the GP100,
    can touch!
    The LCR may be rated for. 357, but it lacks the weight needed
    for shooting the load.
    It was intended for. 38
    Shoot a little, carry alot is B.S.!
    Shoot what you carry!
    The GP100 is not a concealable weapon.
    And the SP101 weights only slightly more than my Glock 23
    and conceals better.
    Its a good gun.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

I own the 3" GP100 and Sp101. The Sp101 may not be a pocket gun, but it carries well on a belt and much nicer for IWB than full size guns. Its weight makes it a good shooter with full power loads too. It's a good useful gun.

15. Rex G

Rex G

I like the way a 3.06" SP101 balances much like a 4" S&W K-frame. I appreciate the extra bit of sight radius, and the extra bit of recoil-dampening weight. On paper, the facts and figures indicates this little weapon is neither fish nor fowl, but in real life, it is a great, practical little revolver, in my opinion. The balance and sight radius make it notably more shootable, for me, than the snubbier 2.25" version, while not seeming to weigh any more. The balance seems to negate the extra weight.

Except for ankle and pocket carry, this is a sweet weapon, and most folks consider the 2.25" SP101 too big for those carry methods, anyway. These are just my rambling thoughts, hastily composed before I have to start getting ready for work.

16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Might I suggest the new 4" barreled SP101? That may be a good compromise between the bulk of the GP and the size of the SP with a longer barrel=better ballistics.

I've got a 4" GP100 and I love it. If I had the opportunity to buy a SP101, I'd jump at it. Buy it; you won't be dissapointed.

EDIT: I like the TALO edition of the GP100; perhaps it would be good for you? It's spendy though:
    [​IMG]

Spec Sheet:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100DE/specSheets/1752.html

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  17. jvbronco

jvbronco

Thanks for the info guys! I'm pretty much sold on the SP101 so size, weight, and capacity isn't an issue. I'm more concerned about whether $469 is a good deal for the gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yes, it is a good deal, if it's NIB. If it's used, see if you can get it down to $400-$425.

As a comparison, I paid $595.00 after taxes for my GP100, so you're getting a bargain!

Let us know how it goes. Good luck bro.

19. ThinkMud

ThinkMud

Do it! I love my sp101:)

Edit: the wife told me to let u guys know it is actually hers LOL! And yes, she lives it too;)

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. urban assault

urban assault

I've been pocket-carrying my highly melted SP101 .357mag for better than eight years now, feels great and I would trust it(and have) in any situation...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-urban