Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the range to help a friend break his in. The range store had them on sale for $296.99. Well, what better way to start off the new year then with a new pistol for a great price. So I jumped in with both feet and bought one.
First impression out of the box: a Glock 19ish overall feel with the grip of a fmh 1911. A very good, natural feel in the hand. No glock "hump" to cause me fits. The gun comes up well, sights are white dot front, white outline rear. Both are dovetailed in and are plastic. For being plastic they are substantial. The rear has a nyloc screw to loosen for windage adjustment. The front can be changed out when the gun is field stripped with the rsa/barrel removed from the slide. Put a small screwdriver/tool through the barrel cut and press up on the underneath of the front sight. It can then be slid out of the dovetail to change.
Field strip is the same as a lcp2. Push the slide back slightly and pry the retaining pin out. I used a lip on the mag to pop it out. Comes right apart after that. The trigger was crisp, a hair over 5lbs, and after break in was 5lbs even. Reset is good but not the quickest I've felt. Anyway, wiped off some light packing oil and lubed with Tetra Gun. First up 500 rounds of CCI Blaser aluminum 115gr fmjrn. Loaded up the mags (comes with 2) and proceeded to start blasting at 21ft. Sights were dead on and the gun shot the center out of the target. Moved the target out to 50' and shot a couple hundred rounds. Groups were fist sized. Went over to the 25 yard range and benched the gun. Groups averaged 2.5". The first 500 went through without a hitch. Went back to the short range to try different brands/types of ammo. Wolf/Tulammo fmj, Speer GD 124gr+P, Winchester NATO, CCI Blaser brass 115gr, Fiocchi 115gr HP, etc. The gun gobbled everything. At the end I ran a handload of 6.0gr Unique w/115gr Hornady XTP HP and, once again, the gun chugged right along. BTW, the gun is rated for everything but +P+. The owners manual says NOT to use it.
The mag release is mid-sized uncheckered metal, grip has a good, but not overly aggressive grippy finish. The slide has front/rear cocking serrations with a beveled front end and picatinny rail. There's a small, unobtrusive safety that can be engaged or left off. It's snaps on/off with authority. All in all a nice package to my mind's eye.
I've always said that if Glock brought out a model with a 1911esque grip I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Well, it's a Ruger with a modified hammer but it's quite a package for $296.99.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This US-made Ruger will be a big hit at these sub-$300 prices. Will put a real hurt on the import brands like Taurus and pistols from Turkey. My one concern is the aluminum rail insert. Steel would have been better. Hopefully long term durability won't be an issue.

·
Huge Member
11,689 Posts
Wait....are you telling us that you shot 500+ rounds at one sitting the first time out? 500+ rounds! Who does that?

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
In one of the videos I saw the guy pushed the pin out with the tip of ball point pen from the oppose side. I think prying it out with a piece of brass or magazine base would increase the likelihood of scratching the slide finish.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Wait....are you telling us that you shot 500+ rounds at one sitting the first time out? 500+ rounds! Who does that?
A lot of folks? That's not a really high count.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cashed in my retirement stocks last year. When Palmetto State Armory was selling CCI Blaser aluminum for $7.99 a box, free shipping for a case or more, I bought 50,000 rounds in 10,000 round lots. I wanted to pick up 100,000 but my UPS guy is on the small side and i didn't want him to bust a nut delivering everything at once. I'm a humanitarian that way.The granddaughter loves to shoot her G19 so when we go to the range we go big or we don't bother. She's my helper for range practice/evaluations.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My one concern is the aluminum rail insert. Steel would have been better. Hopefully long term durability won't be an issue.
I've read this concern in several threads/boards, yet no one has ever chimed in with the fact that a steel slide rides on aluminum rails with a HUGE number of designs. Think Sig 220, 225, 226, 228, 229, etc, etc. ....... Think S&W 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen auto's ........... Think Rugers very own P series, P85,89,90, 93,94,etc. Kel-Tec's little line of auto's have used an aluminum insert since the beginning.

Whether the rails are an insert or the frame itself, they should wear just the same and should be of similar concern... which to me only revolves around whether the aluminum is properly anodized after machining.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
That's a lot to shoot at paper. I've had plenty of high round days on steel or stages, but shooting paper in a bay would get boring pretty quick.
It depends. My preferred target is a scrap piece of 11"x17" printer paper, always have 15-20 I generate each week from test prints. It is easy to fit 18 orange dots on one, and then put two of them up. That is 36 separate points of aim.

I am not very fond of just standing and doing slow fire, especially at 7 yards. However, doing snap shots on alternating dots as quickly as possible is a bit more of a challenge, and good for developing quick aim. Or a mag dump to make one of the dots completely disappear, as it is 1" in diameter is harder than it sounds.

If there is nobody else on the rifle range, like to do the same with the Sub 2K at the 25 yard scope sighting bay. I load the fun sticks to 30 rounds, and have 6 of them. That is 180 rounds, and can go in no time at all if I don't pace myself.

·
Huge Member
11,689 Posts
I cashed in my retirement stocks last year. When Palmetto State Armory was selling CCI Blaser aluminum for $7.99 a box, free shipping for a case or more, I bought 50,000 rounds in 10,000 round lots. I wanted to pick up 100,000 but my UPS guy is on the small side and i didn't want him to bust a nut delivering everything at once. I'm a humanitarian that way.The granddaughter loves to shoot her G19 so when we go to the range we go big or we don't bother. She's my helper for range practice/evaluations.
I don't doubt the amount of ammo. I am just surprised someone would/could run through 500 rounds in one sitting by themselves. That's a marathon. Hell, I get tired and bored after 100 rounds (except .22s). You da' man if you can do that.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I went to the range to help a friend break his in. The range store had them on sale for $296.99. Well, what better way to start off the new year then with a new pistol for a great price. So I jumped in with both feet and bought one.
First impression out of the box: a Glock 19ish overall feel with the grip of a fmh 1911. A very good, natural feel in the hand. No glock "hump" to cause me fits. The gun comes up well, sights are white dot front, white outline rear. Both are dovetailed in and are plastic. For being plastic they are substantial. The rear has a nyloc screw to loosen for windage adjustment. The front can be changed out when the gun is field stripped with the rsa/barrel removed from the slide. Put a small screwdriver/tool through the barrel cut and press up on the underneath of the front sight. It can then be slid out of the dovetail to change.
Field strip is the same as a lcp2. Push the slide back slightly and pry the retaining pin out. I used a lip on the mag to pop it out. Comes right apart after that. The trigger was crisp, a hair over 5lbs, and after break in was 5lbs even. Reset is good but not the quickest I've felt. Anyway, wiped off some light packing oil and lubed with Tetra Gun. First up 500 rounds of CCI Blaser aluminum 115gr fmjrn. Loaded up the mags (comes with 2) and proceeded to start blasting at 21ft. Sights were dead on and the gun shot the center out of the target. Moved the target out to 50' and shot a couple hundred rounds. Groups were fist sized. Went over to the 25 yard range and benched the gun. Groups averaged 2.5". The first 500 went through without a hitch. Went back to the short range to try different brands/types of ammo. Wolf/Tulammo fmj, Speer GD 124gr+P, Winchester NATO, CCI Blaser brass 115gr, Fiocchi 115gr HP, etc. The gun gobbled everything. At the end I ran a handload of 6.0gr Unique w/115gr Hornady XTP HP and, once again, the gun chugged right along. BTW, the gun is rated for everything but +P+. The owners manual says NOT to use it.
The mag release is mid-sized uncheckered metal, grip has a good, but not overly aggressive grippy finish. The slide has front/rear cocking serrations with a beveled front end and picatinny rail. There's a small, unobtrusive safety that can be engaged or left off. It's snaps on/off with authority. All in all a nice package to my mind's eye.
I've always said that if Glock brought out a model with a 1911esque grip I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Well, it's a Ruger with a modified hammer but it's quite a package for $296.99.

Could you please post a picture of the internal "chassis" or fire control unit out of the frame ? From what I hace read and saw it looks like it is removable like the Sig P320 and the Beretta APX . I am just interested to see if it very complex or simple. The Ruger American "chassis" was very complex but the Beretta APX chassis was very simple which I like. Any information or pictures would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could you please post a picture of the internal "chassis" or fire control unit out of the frame ? From what I hace read and saw it looks like it is removable like the Sig P320 and the Beretta APX . I am just interested to see if it very complex or simple. The Ruger American "chassis" was very complex but the Beretta APX chassis was very simple which I like. Any information or pictures would be appreciated.
Gadget Technology Electronic device Bumper Vehicle
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Gadget Technology Airsoft Electronic device Trigger

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Thanks tjpet , if you ever take it out of the frame please post some pictures. That looks pretty simple and nice ! To me it is WAY BETTER than the American pistol they had out last year. I am very interested in this one !

1 - 20 of 58 Posts