Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to take an interest in rimfire for some plinking and long range target shooting (Thanks G44 ;) ). I’m curious if anyone else on here is doing the same, and shooting the Ruger Precision 10/22?

If so, thoughts on it...

·
Da Da
7,213 Posts
I built a 10/22 from the receiver up 6 or 7 years ago, shoots Eley Black Label (34 cents around) 10 rounds at .25 of in an inch a 60 yards.

Shoots CCI standards (5 cents a round) 10 rounds at .40 of in inch at 60 yards.

From a sand bag, with a cheap $250 scope.

Only took 5 barrels, 3 stocks, full 2# trigger kit, full polish on all interior parts, must be kept VERY clean.

About $1200 in it.

I also built a 10/22 race gun for less $400 (16in youth barrel and a used racegun stock, self tuned trigger $25 chinese red dot) and did very well in competition again against gun cost 3x as much. I still have both.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Probably be a lot of fun OP... I’ve been shooting squirrels off the bird feeder with a 20 year old “Plain Jane” 10/22 with iron sights...My old eyes aren’t what they used to be, but I’m still nailing them at 10-20 yds.. great little rifle...

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Probably be a lot of fun OP... I’ve been shooting squirrels off the bird feeder with a 20 year old “Plain Jane” 10/22 with iron sights...My old eyes aren’t what they used to be, but I’m still nailing them at 10-20 yds.. great little rifle...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Ruger Precision 10/22 !? Don't see one on rugers site so doubtful any one has shot one .

I to have a custom 10/22 build but mines more budget friendly that Jims Only cost 800 dollars including a old ragged out rust beater 10/22 to start with I only paid 75 bucks for .
Kiss ss 20" barrel jard 1lb tigger system boyds stock bedded and pinned rear of receiver with scopes weights 9lb 14oz but is a heck of a range gun . Built my wife a lite weight 10/22 from a 1071 10/22 I think . Had it a looong time but was never a shooter . Replaced the old wood stock hogue over molded stock clark mid weight 16.25" barrel and 2.5lb clark trigger , 3-12 scope . Its very accurate too but lite so you work harder to shoot it well .

I like to place a small 10 shot group at 100 yards on a centerfire guys target in the fine print area or bar code and watch them when they finally notice it when changing or retrieving there targets !!

For half the cost of there 10/22 competition model I will say go buy a CZ 457 varmint or Savage mkii BV for far less still or a costlier savage rototary mag version and go and enjoy learning to shoot a 22lr and learn what ammo your wallet likes .

. I tuned my savage bv trigger down to 15oz to 1lb . Its not a jard or timney trigger good but its not a bad trigger ether . I use 6-24 30mm scope that's long discontinued now .

Don't forget that scope . Maybe a Nikon rimfire ii 4-12x40bdc 150 for $139 I a good starter scope .

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Looks like it has a precision, thread in barrel instead of the droopy slip fit 10/22 style barrel.
"Target barrel is cold hammer-forged from 1137 alloy steel to create ultra precise rifling for excellent accuracy. Barrel can be replaced easily by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges."
With a plastic stock and a 6.8 pound weight, me thinks it might be a bit muzzle heavy for anything other than bench shooting.

·
Private side
11,596 Posts
Have you held it or just read the specs?
Looks like it has a precision, thread in barrel instead of the droopy slip fit 10/22 style barrel.
"Target barrel is cold hammer-forged from 1137 alloy steel to create ultra precise rifling for excellent accuracy. Barrel can be replaced easily by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges."
With a plastic stock and a 6.8 pound weight, me thinks it might be a bit muzzle heavy for anything other than bench shooting.

·
Sneet
16,208 Posts
Starting to take an interest in rimfire for some plinking and long range target shooting (Thanks G44 ;) ). I’m curious if anyone else on here is doing the same, and shooting the Ruger Precision 10/22?

If so, thoughts on it...
I have a Ruger Precision Rimfire. I'm waiting on rings for my scope, but I anticipate a lot of fun. I'm going to use it as a trainer for my Ruger Precision Rifle I have in .308. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that is a lot of fun. I have yet to get my G44 out, but that is coming soon. .22 is fun and cost effective.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Ruger Precision Rimfire. I'm waiting on rings for my scope, but I anticipate a lot of fun. I'm going to use it as a trainer for my Ruger Precision Rifle I have in .308. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that is a lot of fun. I have yet to get my G44 out, but that is coming soon. .22 is fun and cost effective.
Awesome! I’m going to start with the RPR .22 and then upgrade to a 6.5 later this summer.

Got the G44 and my daughter and I love it. Figure the RPR will be a great way to get her into shooting. I’m going to be building a bench to shoot it from at home with my son. He needs to complete a woodworking project for 4-H and thought that sounded like a great option.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
A couple years ago, I bought a like new 1965 10/22, in the box, with a $59 Sears price sticker on it. Showed up on Armslist, and I paid $200 for it.
I intended to make some minor custom changes on it, but I put a cheap Barska 4x rimfire scope on it, and shot it first.
Using Blazer bulk, it shot 10 shot groups the size of a dime at 80yds.
So, I haven’t changed a thing, lol.
Honestly, when I read the results people get with their custom 10/22’s, I’m pretty happy with my stocker.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I can't find any info on the Precession 10/22. Ruger make several varaintes of the 10/22 plus sevearal clones. I built a 10/22 or two, they shoot well enough.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve debated the competition 10/22 as well. Price point seems high for what it is and I wonder how much you really gain offer the standard 10/22.

·
19,067 Posts
I can't find any info on the Precession 10/22. Ruger make several varaintes of the 10/22 plus sevearal clones. I built a 10/22 or two, they shoot well enough.
I don't think there is any such thing as a Ruger "precision" 10-22 but there is a Ruger Target Lite 10-22 with a MSRP of $649.00.

It has a threaded bull barrel with a "tensioned aluminum sleeve" a thumb-hole laminated stock, (free floated?) and ruger's BX trigger which in my opinion shoud be a option on all guns and is the best possible upgrade.

If you were to just get a standard Ruger carbine for $200 bucks the BX trigger alone would greatly improve the accuracy. The BX triggers are available for around 60-70 bucks.

For more accuracy you'd have to spend another couple hundred on a .920 diameter bull barrel with a bentz chamber and then you'd need a replacement stock and teh cheapest one is a Hogue overmolded availble from EABCO for $75 bucks. I have mor conservitive tastes than most people an dI like teh looks of these stocks better that teh Ruger Targetlit stock or most "Tactical" or thumbholse socks.

You can get one of EABCO's threaded target barrels with a bentz chamber for $169.00

So by the time you've spent $200 for the Basic rifle, $70 for the trigger, $75 for teh stock, and $169 for the barrel, you've spent only $135 less than the cost of the Ruger target Lite and that doesn't include teh cost of shipping on those individual items. which would probably amount to around $10 bucks per item. You're still saving 100 bucks and I might be tempted to do it except I'd probably spend a little more on slightly better quality barrel such as the Tactical Solutions barrel which is alsw a lightweight, fluted, aluminum sleeved barrel and sells for $239 (see link)

$200
$514

https://www.eabco.net/Tactical-Solu...165-Matte-Black-Threaded-End-116_p_13695.html

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I built a 10/22 Target from parts. Ruger hammer forged barrel and walnut aftermarket stock. The 10/22s are so easy to change there could be an infinite number of variations. Think I have 10 or 11 of them and wife has a pink one.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the performance of the Ruger Precession RimFire. Seems like it has a lot of fans.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts