Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried today with a different scope thinking maybe I had an unknown issue with the old scope. Here's the results for ten different brands - types - loads of 22 ammo. Distance was 30 yards from a bench

Eley Target. 11/16
Aguila Target 11/16
Aguila Super Extra 3/4
Federal Target bulk 7/8
Federal Game Shok 1 1/16
Winchester Super X 1 1/8
American Eagle 1 1/4
Federal Champion bulk 1 5/8
CCI Standard 1 7/8
Aguila Subsonic 2 5/8

Red Orange Carmine Paint Peach

·
Glock Fanboi
2,470 Posts
I have owned several Ruger rifles over the years, rimfire and center fire. I have never been satisfied with their ability to fire small groups. I have sold all but several variations of the 10/22. I have gotten very good results from the CZ family.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
6,822 Posts
ede,

I wish you had a rifle that shoots better. What you are experiencing is pretty disappointing and I KNOW that you are not the weak link. Champion bulk shooting better than CCI Standard is very strange but I know each rifle has preferences.

ELEY Target should be touching each other when shot from any decent rifle at 50-yards.

·
Scottish Member
13,210 Posts
I have owned several Ruger rifles over the years, rimfire and center fire. I have never been satisfied with their ability to fire small groups. I have sold all but several variations of the 10/22. I have gotten very good results from the CZ family.
I've never really tried my 10/22 light varmint at 50 yards. I did shoot a 221 Appleseed 25m AQT on the first try with Federal Bulk "Automatch" with no modifications other than mounting a Redfield Revolution. My prone and kneeling (smaller targets) were where I made my points. Standing (largest target) is where I lost them - it was the last target on a long, cold day and I rushed shooting it.

I guess I need to try shooting it at 50 and see how it does.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called Ruger last week and they said one inch at 100 yards. I'd not expected that from the American platform. I'd been happy with two inches at 100 but this rifle isn't capable of it. I used a 36X scope today so it should of been easy to put all my bullets in the first hole. I'm not real excited dealing with sending it back if Ruger wants to do anything. If not it'll be for sale at gun show in a few weeks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That is quite unfortunate. My Ruger American 22wmr can do nearly 1 hole groups at 100 yards.

My 22lr American doesn’t have a scope but it seems like it is that capable as well. It’s at least as good as what you are shooting at 30 yards but with irons.

Have you checked action screws? Something has to be off somewhere I would think.

Also. Please don’t be that guy. You know the one who sells his subpar lemon to an unassuming and trusting fellow firearm enthusiast.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My American in 17 HRM does around 1 1/2 or so at 100. About what I'd expect it to do. I've check torque on action screws. There's nothing I can see that isn't right about it.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
ede, have you normally chambered and then gently extracted the live rounds without firing them, to see if they are being deformed during feeding/chambering? Alternatively, have you considered firing some groups with hand-fed-and-chambered rounds (kind of like shooting in single-shot mode)?

I mention this because while I think the various 10/22 mags are wonderfully reliable, I'm not sure they are in the top ten smoothest-feeding rimfire mags I've ever used.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJ no I did all my shooting from mags. I used maybe eight mags. I'll cycle a few rounds tomorrow and see how they come out.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did this with an iron sighted hand gun yesterday from bench at 30 yards. Other than one 4" group the rest were in the 2 1/2" range with two like this one. I know not the best ever shot but I was pretty happy with the results.
Red Magenta Pink Carmine Colorfulness

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
I called Ruger last week and they said one inch at 100 yards. I'd not expected that from the American platform. I'd been happy with two inches at 100 but this rifle isn't capable of it. I used a 36X scope today so it should of been easy to put all my bullets in the first hole. I'm not real excited dealing with sending it back if Ruger wants to do anything. If not it'll be for sale at gun show in a few weeks.
Well, you gave it a fair shot, has to be something in the build that isn't right. Given the number of .22's you've built yourself and the accuracies you've shown from them in the past, know it isn't you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.