Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot mine today at around 35 yards. I'm disappointed in the performance, 5/8" is best group I managed with Aguila Super Extra. Worst was 1 3/8". Eley Target didn't help and bulk Federal opened up the groups to laughable size. I put a 4x12 Vortex scope on it. Since it's based on the American Rifle this degree of accuracey might be what is to be expected.

Red Organism Paper Coquelicot Textile

Reactions: willie_pete

·
NRA Life Member
30,627 Posts
Same here; even since he posted he bought it, I have been lusting in my heart after one. Now, not so much.

·
Scottish Member
13,183 Posts
Assuming that you know what you are doing, this is disappointing.

Both my 10/22 light varmint (touching 5-shot groups at 25m) and magnum research shoot better.

Maybe she will break-in and be a good shooter.

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
Awful, I'm sure it isn't your fault. Ruger has sure gone downhill, I couldn't care less if they are made in the USA. My 30 year old Sako M78 at 50 yards will easily do a half inch down to three shots touching, and I'm not the world's greatest shot.

I'd say send it back to Ruger but they'd probably just say it's within spec.

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Indian and not the arrow...

How can you not be happy with groups that small?

Have a friend shoot it...

Kidding! Just repeating some of the common things people say that are never helpful when trying to diagnose an accuracy issue.

Seriously though, I can get better groups with my 22/45 Lite... Sorry about your performance so far.

You've tried three different ammo flavors so far. I'd try a couple more and get more bullets through it to see if it breaks in at all.

On the plus side, Ruger customer service is a well-oiled machine that should make sending it back and forth a little easier.

Reactions: ede

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm far from a great shooter. Here's a target shot with same ammo on same day nothing changed except the rifle. This was with iron sights and my first time shooting it also.
Spiral Circle Recreation Black-and-white Pattern

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
That is disappointing. I was looking forward to adding this rifle to my collection to go along with the CZ 455. But with results like I will wait for more info to flow in. Hopefully the groups will tighten up a bit.

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only took three kinds of ammo but based on past experience the Aguila is pretty good and the Eley great in everything I've fired it in. I'm going to get it out and check screws and torque to see if I can find something loose. It seems to me when shooting I'd get a flyer like something wasn't right. I'm disappointed and really wanted this to be a MOA at 100 yard rifle, or close to it. I'm sure Ruger is wanting to sell high numbers more than an exceptionaly accurate rifle or they'd built it on the 77/22 action-barrel combination.

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
I've had some really good luck with Norma in all of my 22s. My CZ 455 can shoot under a nickel at 100. The CZ seemed to like the new thunderbolts as well which was surprising.

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Ruger and they said 1" at 100 yards is what they have been getting. They wouldn't recommend ammo but said most of their testing is with CCI and to try different brands of ammo.

Reactions: vart

·
Banned
21,402 Posts
I called Ruger and they said 1" at 100 yards is what they have been getting. They wouldn't recommend ammo but said most of their testing is with CCI and to try different brands of ammo.
That's what they said to me about my POS LCP, this at the height of the ammo shortage when you couldn't find .380. After the gun went back to them several times they finally gave up and sent me a refund. There is no way those bad groups are due to ammo variations. And people complain about Taurus.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Shot mine today at around 35 yards. I'm disappointed in the performance, 5/8" is best group I managed with Aguila Super Extra. Worst was 1 3/8". Eley Target didn't help and bulk Federal opened up the groups to laughable size. I put a 4x12 Vortex scope on it. Since it's based on the American Rifle this degree of accuracey might be what is to be expected.

View attachment 378658
Hate that for you.

You mind posting what the cost of the rifle was? Just curious of real over the counter price.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but has been my opinion of Ruger bolt guns as well.

Which is why I have a safe full of Savages. IMOHO, the best bolt rifles for the money. Sure, CZ and a ton of other folks make more accurate, better built ones from better materials and all that.

However, I like the Savages for the same reason I love my Ruger semi auto handguns and my AK's.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Keep trying ammo till you find a load the ruger likes that you can justify buying and hope you can get enough in one lot number . If you changing ammo you should fire at least 10 to 20 rounds with each different brand of ammo before shooting for group to clear the old ammo lube from your bore . .
I also find it hard to control fliers as ammo prices drop . Might fire 10 rounds and have 5 shoot a 3/8" 50 yard group but the other 5 might open the group up to 1.5" do to fliers and its not the shooter or the firearm . Change to federal 922a and waist the first 10 rounds and then shoot a 10 round bug hole at the can cover with a dime at 50 yards .

For what its worth my best .22lr is a savage BV with trigger tune down to a fuzz under 1lb and a 6-24x42mm scope that will shoot nice groups but I don't shoot high or hyper velocity ammo , standard only .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.