close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger P345 Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Truffle8Shuffle, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Anyone conceal carry a Ruger P345? My buddy just bought one and is planning on CCing it and I was just hoping to help him find a decent holster. I think it's a little big to CC, but he got a good deal on it, barely used for $300, and wants to carry it until he can afford something smaller and more easy to conceal.

Thanks for any and all replies.

2. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

GREAT gun! One of the most overlooked quality handguns on the market. Hard to conceal? Heck my dad bough one to use as a CCW pistol. If you look they are many different holsters avaliable. Probably need to go IWB especially in the summer, look at the Galco Summer Comfort for the money it is hard to beat.

3. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

It's a great gun indeed! A bit big for my CC tastes, but if you can rock it, more power to you (or your dad). I checked Galco's site, as I have a few of their products, and the only non-shoulder/purse/belly band holster they have for the P345 is the Cop 3 Slot. The Summer Comfort didn't have a P345 listed as an option.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

A good gun.. Some of the early ones had some problems w/ the magazine disconnect safety. Personally, I would suggest not "testing" this safety, as it would mess up the trigger and have to be sent back to Ruger. Honestly, he may find its not that bad for carry. Even if the slide is a little thick, its designed for carry. I would probably look at something OWB.

Whats his budget for a holster? If he doesn't want to wait an enormously long time, Galco, Desantis and Don Hume are where I would check..

IGF

5. CBennett

CBennett

nice gun id not mind one for a RANGE/HOUSE gun but id not CC it its too big so id never CC it(nor ANY of the P series as they are all too big for CC) but if you can knock yourself out not a bad gun.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ruger's really aren't bad to conceal carry. I've carried a P90 before. Is it as nice as carrying a Glock? Absolutely not, but its not the worst thing in the world either.

The key thing, is you absolutely must have a gun belt. If you think carrying a Glock on a junk belt is bad, the Ruger is just down right ridiculous. I'd recommend a polymer reinforced belt to help support the weight of the gun.

Something to really think about.....

P345 specs
    Specifications -
    Caliber: .45 Auto (ACP)
    Action: recoil operated semi-automatic
    Length: 7.625 in
    Width: 1.2 in (includes slide lever)
    Height: 5.75 in (to the top of the rear sight)
    Magazine Capacity: 8 rounds
    Barrel Length: 4.25 in
    Weight without magazine: 26.8 oz
    Weight with empty magazine: 29.4 oz
    Weight loaded (1+8 rd magazine): 35.7 oz

Glock 30 specs
    Caliber .45 Auto
    Action Safe Action System
    Length (slide) 6.77 inches
    Height 4.76 inches
    Width 1.27 inches
    Length between sights 5.95 inches
    Barrel length 3.78 inches
    Mass (weight)
    Empty without magazine 23.99 ounces
    Empty magazine 2.5 ounces
    Full magazine ~9.87 ounces
    Trigger pull (standard) ~5.5 pounds

I removed some irrelevant specs on the two guns, but if you look, The Ruger has a longer overall length, but the Glock 30 is slightly wider. The Glock is 33.86oz loaded, the Ruger is 35.7oz. There's a lot of Glock 30's being used for CCW, so its very doable w/ the Ruger, but like the 30, you have to pay attention to the gear you're using.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Shima

Shima

I used to CC my P345 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It was fine. I only sold the P345 to finance my EBR. My wife liked shooting the P345 more than any other gun I've had.

8. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for all the great replies! I'll have to tell him to check out the Supertuck as I've heard great things about it from others and I love my MTAC for my G23 and they look a lot alike. He's looking for IWB for now until he gets more comfortable carrying. Galco only has one OWB, the Cop 3 Slot, listed on their site for the P345 (everything else is a purse, shoulder rig, or purse). Don Hume has one IWB and I'll show him that one, as well.

Again, thanks everyone. :wavey:

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I would encourage him to also look at a high quality belt.

IGF

10. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

That's a given. I wear an Instructor belt and love it but I think he wants a leather one. I, also, suggested getting one with the reinforced insert like the ones from Comp-Tac. Any other brands you might suggest?

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You'd be amazed at the people who overlook the importance of a good belt, and think the gun/holster is the problem, rather than the fact they are carrying on a cheap belt.

Aker B21 is a nice, inexpensive leather belt w/ a polymer insert.

http://www.copquest.com/24-0500.htm

Ted Blocker makes a belt that is spring steel lined. Never used one, but I'm guessing you could CCW a refrigerator on it...

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/product.cfm?pi=7C63C31F-ADE6-66EE-3A2094FB2B0783AB

Then of course there's The Beltman, who makes a belt w/ a polymer insert as well. http://thebeltman.net

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  12. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks IGF! I'll be sure to pass this along.

13. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Truffle8Shuffle
    The P345 is my winter carry gun! Wear it all day long in a IWB! Some times in a shoulder holster! Used to CCW a P90 now that gun was heavy/uncomfortable IWB. The P345 is light years better CCW gun. Fit my hand better then any Glock could.:supergrin:

14. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

What IWB holster do you use?

15. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

The Summer Comfort he bought was not marked specifically for the 345. He just took the gun to a holster dealer and started trying different ones untill he found what he wanted. I want to say it a Sig P229 holster but it fits well. If you are interested PM me and I will call him for the details.

Oh and as far as carrying full sized service pistols. I regularly carry a full size HK USP. :faint: Works for me.

16. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  17. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for the help, but I can just have my buddy call the dealer himself and ask. I'm sure they can help him with that.

I appreciate the link. I think my friend picked up an Uncle Mike's like this from the local GS. If he likes it, then I guess his search is over.