Ruger Ruger Mini-14

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mmcbeat, Oct 16, 2019.

1. CAcop

CAcop

I don't think they get to wannabe status until they change out the crap on their rifle for the latest fad.

I have seen so much stuff with the AR come and go.

Nevermind the accessories that go with it.

G19 DB likes this.
  2. G19 DB

G19 DB

I've owned a couple Mini-14's. I do like the wood stock and non military/ non ninja look.

lazarus66 and mikey357 like this.

3. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I say go for it, it is a fun gun to shoot, you won't regret it!

I love my GB model that I got from Buds Gun Shop for $499 plus shipping and transfer! It is a police trade from the Nebraska State Patrol!

[​IMG]

I refinished the stock myself and it turned out great. She is an absolute hoot to shoot!

By 1, you will love it!

4. SargeMO

SargeMO

For typical use, I like the Mini much better than the AR. The Mini feels like and shoulders like a rifle should. I had a 580 series that would keep the first three Sierra 65 grain softpoints in 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I whacked a button buck at about 180 yards with that rifle and load, iron sights and standing unsupported. Full penetration and a 2" hole through his heart had him down about 25 feet from where he was hit.

Ruger needs to get off their asses and chamber the Mini in 350 Legend,

Berto and TxGun like this.
  5. O4L

O4L

I like the idea of the Mini-14 and would own one IF Ruger would make them more accurate, and to use AR mags, and if you could buy one for $500-$600.

6. 0311INF

0311INF

I had one but not for very long. It was the newer model, so accurate enough for effective hits out to 200 yards.
    The 30 round magazines are a tough pill at nearly $40 per.
    The 20 rounders can be had for nearly $30 but still, that's too much.
    Ruger really needs to make a reliable steel reinforced polymer or aluminum mag for cheap.

hogship likes this.
  7. wanderson

wanderson

A good alternative to Ruger factory mags are the new gen 2 Tapco mags (not the older ones) or the Original Equipment mags that CDNN gets in a few times a year.
    The OE mags are cheap and while they use the older style follower the bodies are better made than factory Rugers out of one piece of steel. I just ordered some 10s for $13 ea. and 20s for $15 ea. My Mini is .300bo and if these old style followers don’t handle the heavier bullets reliably I can swap in factory Ruger followers for $5 and still be half the cost of a factory mag.
    Not gonna argue that an AR isn’t better than a Mini, but it’s different, and has a few advantages.
    For me it fills the void where I’d otherwise have an M1 carbine, and I’m not impressed with the stories I hear from new production M-1 carbine owners.

8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

My brother in law gave me his just before he died of cancer. It will hold minute of tennis ball at 100 yds, with a Nikon 9X, long as I do my part. I haven't shot it in prolly 2 yrs. ;)

9. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

I had a Ranch mini 14. I have nothing against the rifle it just did not physically fit me (I’m 6’6”) it found its way to my brothers house! He’s only 6’3”. Lol

10. DrewBone

DrewBone

A Mini-14 test target being delivered to the Ruger factory range facility in Southport, Connecticut:

[​IMG]

Just kidding! They've gotten better accuracy-wise over the years, but it took aftermarket entities to initially get the ball rolling for Ruger with the addition of barrel braces, and for the money Ruger asks for them when compared to the AR15, with their ability to be built at home from components, the nearly endless array of factory and aftermarket options available, the many different caliber choices, and lastly, a pistol option - the Ruger Mini-14's and 30's just kinda' pale in comparison.

But many prefer metal and wood and spending the extra $$ for it, and that's fine too. I have an Argentine heavy barrel FAL exactly like the one pictured below, and it'd be a toss up between it and my Armalite AR10 if and when push came to shove...
    [​IMG]

11. CAcop

CAcop

I suppose if Ruger made a cheaper polymer version I would be ok with it if it work but the steel mags are pretty solid. With the traditional stock the 30 rounders stick out too far in my opinion. I get in an AR 20 rounders make no sense because the pistol grip sticks out farther.

We have had Magpul AR mags crack at the feed lips. The aluminum AR mags get bent easy. I remember when HK AR mags were all the rage.

I honestly think if you want a mag to last a long time, go steel. If you want a mag that will last long enough for a year or so of heavy use, maybe a decade of light use, plastic and aluminum will do.

12. jbardellini

jbardellini

Great gun I wish I still had mine but I can’t believe the prices they go for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I would suggest the Mini-30.

14. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

It's ok to really dig your ARs, but should get a Mini14 just for the fun of it! Have both, and then see what those Mini14 guys know that you are missing......

15. elkhart

elkhart

I have a Mini Ranch, 580 series. Originally I bought it to hunt coyotes in WV. Shots could be 10-100 yards on the farm we had. I shoot it with iron sights, but I have a low power leupold for it, but haven't tried it yet.

Nothing against AR's, I don't have one because the mini does everything I need and I'm happy with it. I sold some guns off last week, so had the cash in hand and was very tempted by the wall of AR's at Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA. But a Bear Super Kodiak recurve was even more tempting! (It should be here today!!!)

My nephew goes to school in rural Ohio, and they are having a gun raffle to raise money for their prom. No typo. I'm crossing my fingers for the AR.

16. mikec35

mikec35

I bought this Mini-14 a few years ago, have yet to shoot it. The guy I bought if from did the custom tiger stripe paint on the Archangel stock. Just watched a couple of video's on youtube and am now ready to try this thing out! It sure is heavy, must be the aftermarket stock.

[​IMG]

Bus007, CAcop and Berto like this.
  17. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Looked at the Ruger website. Seems like a lot of money for what you're getting.

18. mikec35

mikec35

That’s some good looking work! Love the wood color.

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

They're nice guns, but I've always preferred the Mini-30. They haven't been as accurate as AR's but the newer guns are supposedly better and I like them much better than AR's.

20. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

if you are going to use it at greater than fire-light distances, get a barrel brace... that's all im say'n.