Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a mark 3 that I need to add some optics to and some different grips. can anyone tell me the place to get grips and optics for this pistol that work well with it. It is a sweet shooting pistol, I just want to dress it up a little.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do you have any idea of what you're looking for and what you want to spend?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow, how do we even begin to answer the questions....

I personally like buying stuff from midwayusa.com since they are so near to me and typically have decent prices on stuff. I've found that he local Cabela's typically has a decent selection for the Ruger Mark I, II, III's. Rimfiresports.com has a good selection as well. There are several vendors that sponsor this site as well as rimfirecentral.com that are quite good.

In terms of optics, most of the sites offer some options. Its up to you to decide which type of optics you prefer whether the normal scope type, red dot, etc.

There are numerous posts on this site but I'd recommend the following:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
You can get different grips for the gun right from Ruger.
www.shopruger.com Some people like the rubber hogue grips, while others prefer the big huge ones from Volquartsen or Altamont.

My tastes run more to the target grips made by Majestic Arms.

I would advise you to try a cheap red dot from CDNN before you commit to expensive optics. I have two cheap Tascos and a more expensive 30mm Truglow red/green dot.

I do know I don't like any of them.
Instead I invested in a set of Volquartsen target sights.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
On my MK678IIIH, I added a Hogue (non thumb rest) rubber grip. Impact Guns and Rimfire Sports is where I have shopped for exterior upgrades and Volquartsen and Clark Customs for internal upgrades.

Optics can vary much in price. Initially, I installed a spare Primary Arms micro dot and just recently, I installed a Matchdot. No need for high end centerfire type optics.

·
705 Posts

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,493 Posts
What do you want to do with the MK 3? I mean... I have a MK 3 Competition that I mounted a C-More 8 MOA Railway on and it's great for Steel and bowling pins - but not so hot for Bullseye at 50 yds.

The stock grips are great for Bullseye (single-hand), but not that good for Steel or pins.

You need more dedicated Marks. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the mark 3 to target shoot with since ammo has gotten a little expensive. I don't want to spend a lot of money on grips and sites, maybe $100 or so. looking a a cheap nc star open red dot scope, just to see if I like that type of scope. maybe I will look at some different grips with finger groves and a thumb rest. I will just experiment until I find what works for me.
Thanks

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,493 Posts
...I don't want to spend a lot of money on grips and sites, maybe $100 or so. looking a a cheap nc star open red dot scope, just to see if I like that type of scope. maybe I will look at some different grips with finger groves and a thumb rest. I will just experiment until I find what works for me.
Thanks
Bob- Here's a suggestion... shoot a few mags through someone else's similarly rigged gun(s) and see what you like - then spend your money on a bit better quality gear. The NC Star red dots I've seen didn't impress me. I believe there are better quality red dots out there for the money.

Where in Central Florida are you located? You can shoot my MKIII with the 8 MOA C-More and see how it fits you. My C-More was about $300, but almost everyone I shoot Steel with, who has a C-More, has the $200 variant which is made of polymer instead of aluminum. Works just as well. I also have the stock grips with the thumb rest - which I don't like for anything but Bullseye - but you may like them. I also did a trigger job.

I live in Hudson, but belong to Hernando Sportsman's Club - both on the central west coast. I'm going to Orlando next month for GSSF at the Central FL Rifle and Pistol Club and coming in on Friday.

·
Groovy.
4,380 Posts
Just an opinion, but I betting that your money woulod be better spent on a Volquartsen trigger and sear. You would not believe the difference in the trigger after they are installed. They really improved my shot groups.

If you're looking for a red-dot, I can heartily recommend the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1X Red Dot Sight. I just installed one on my S&W maodel 41 and it's really a great deal.

If you want to go cheaper, get the Bushnell Trophy 1X 28MM Red Dot. It's a little bigger, but it's an excellent model.

deadite

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,493 Posts
Just an opinion, but I betting that your money woulod be better spent on a Volquartsen trigger and sear. You

If you're looking for a red-dot, I can heartily recommend the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1X Red Dot Sight. I just installed one on my S&W maodel 41 and it's really a great deal.

If you want to go cheaper, get the Bushnell Trophy 1X 28MM Red Dot. It's a little bigger, but it's an excellent model.

deadite
That's the accurizing kit I installed and it's great - but what really improved my competition scores was a red dot.

I don't do that well with those types of red dots. The big, open holographic sights are easier for me to pick up and retain.

Bob needs to shoot a couple to get an idea of what's best for him.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey SARDG thats a good offer you put to me and would be nice if we could meet up. I live just south of leesburg.
I bought my mark3 used and it sure feels like the trigger has been worked on already. I had a couple of shooters check it out and they think the same thing. since I only do target plinking I don't want to get too expensive with the optics. but I want something that will work for me.
Thanks Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts