Ruger Mark II

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DrewBone, Jun 15, 2020.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

This past Saturday while visiting one of my favorite pawn/gun shops I noticed that they had a Ruger Mark II or III standard 4.75" barrel pistol in stainless steel, and it was in pretty good shape, but I was hesitant so I took a pass on it. Then of course the rest of the weekend I was throwing it around in my noggin' and I went off on my usual information quest. Anyway, late last night I decided that I couldn't pass it up, so I returned to the shop earlier today and brought it home for $300 OTD...it's a Mark II model "KMK4", and it's serial number suggests that it was manufactured sometime in 1986.

Having never disassembled/reassembled a Mark I, 2, or 3 Ruger pistol before I brought up the Ruger factory manual in *.pdf format on the 'net and followed the directions - and I got it reassembled on the first shot. What the... It's interesting how for 40+ years I've been hearing about the difficulties of reassembling these pistols and was kinda' disappointed that I ended up having nothing to complain about, LOL. Anyway, it's outside has a couple of very small areas that could use a little attention, like around where the mainspring housing is installed through the back of the frame, and a spot here and there on it's brushed finish, but that's easy enough to address because - it's made out of my favorite material; stainless steel! I'll need to find some mags for it as it came with only one, and maybe I'll order some Volquartsen goodies. I'm also considering building a Volquartsen "Scorpion" clone using the frame of this pistol and one of their 4.5" LLV uppers and competition bolt. It's only money ;)

Funny how your interests change...only recently have I been interested in anything .22, and I have the Dead Aid Mask sitting in jail to thank for that :D

20200615_111121.jpg
    20200615_111226.jpg

bruscifer, Bren, PRKJayhawk and 13 others like this.
  2. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Wow, that's a nice pickup. I'd have taken it for $300 also.

DJ Niner and DrewBone like this.

3. Pluto57

Pluto57

I don't have one anymore, but would pick one up if I found one at a good price. I do think they are ridiculous to disassemble and reassemble, but on the other hand, you really don't have to do it very often even if you shoot it a bunch.

DrewBone likes this.
  4. DrewBone

DrewBone

Thanks! I would have bought it Saturday if I wasn't so busy taking my own advice; "Don't impulse buy...check things out first before buying, you knucklehead!" When I returned to purchase it today there was a brand new blued Mark IV bull barrel near it in the case for $349, but I decided that I liked the stainless model more betterer even though it was the older technology, looked like a ray-gun movie prop from a Flash Gordon movie, and had the reputation of being a real ball breaker to reassemble. I'd already looked into the "hammer strut support" gizmo that gets installed in the earlier frame designs to prevent the hammer strut from getting caught underneath the crosspin (aka, "sear spring stop pin") during reassembly, but I managed ok without it - so I saved myself a whole $15 :D

As many handguns as I've owned and own I've never had a Ruger Mark anything pistol except for the recent purchase of a Mark IV 22/45 Lite, and it practically flies apart and back together! I will admit to studying the reassembly procedure of the earlier variants numerous times and I understood the mechanics involved, so when it was in front of my face for the first time I wasn't terribly intimidated while following Ruger's own directions, and it went well. I imagine in the future I'll be taking it a step or two further installing Volquartsen internals :)

DJ Niner likes this.
  5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Nice find. The stainless MKII is my preference. I like the MKIV upgrades, but the II is a classic that still works great today.

DJ Niner and DrewBone like this.
  6. Terry G

Terry G

MKII 6 7/8" with adjustable Ruger sights = most accurate .22 I own. The CZ Kadet Kit on a CZ 75 frame comes close, but not close enough. I've had it forever and despite being a .22 handgun junkie have not found it's equal.

alwaysshootin, DAW9347 and DrewBone like this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

I thought it was a nice find too, thanks! I'm new to Ruger .22 pistols and recently purchased a Mark IV 22/45 Lite model, but I have this thing (aka, appreciation) for older technology and I wanted to experience the Mark II. I'm looking forward to giving it a try soon :)

With just the basic drift adjustable rear sight and it's skinny barrel, I'm not expecting any kind of laser like accuracy, but I understand that these pistols are indeed quite accurate. I have a factory .22 kit for one of my SIGs and it's accurate and reliable, and I've come this close to ordering a Kadet kit for one of my CZ's, but I just never got around to it. One of these days I'll have to do a comparison and see if my results mirror yours. Thanks for the commentary :D

8. 4runnerteq

4runnerteq

Sweet. I picked this one up a year or so ago for $250. Its had some kind of trigger kit and take down screw added. Very nice shooter. Damn, now you got me wanting to add another.
    [​IMG]

DAW9347, GlockyQ, DJ Niner and 3 others like this.
  9. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Congrats OP. I like bull barrels and comps. For Bullseye.
    @4runnerteq , I believe that is an Apex takedown screw. I just saw the receipt for mine while I was looking for something else.

Mark ll Government.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

Bren, GlockyQ, DJ Niner and 3 others like this.
  10. ronin.45

ronin.45

Majestic makes takedown kits too.

DrewBone likes this.
  11. Current Resident

Current Resident

Nice one Drew, I bought a Mk I a couple of years back, still havent fired it.

DrewBone likes this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Wow, $250 for it and the ad-ons is a great price!

If the bolt stop has a screw atop it there's a good chance that it's got a Majestic Arms "Speed Strip/Master Grade kit" installed, which at minimum consists of a new hammer and a 2 piece bolt stop that screws out allowing the bolt to be removed without having to remove and reinstall the mainspring housing each time. I'd thought about getting one of these myself but I first wanted to experience the reported reassembly issues of the earlier Ruger Mark series, having been spoyld by the new Mark IV 22/45 Lite that I recently acquired. But I was pleasantly surprised that the new to me Mark II went back together without a problem. 'First time's a charm maybe?!

I'm finding a certain desire to buy more of these pistols myself, so I can understand you wanting to do the same...have at it ;)

Nice! I've only recently considered optics for my Mark IV 22/45 Lite seeing as how I've got my astigmatism corrected with new shhpectacles. Since this Mark II isn't drilled and tapped for screws I'll just use it as is even though I know there are options. If Volquartsen ever gets back to me with an answer to a question regarding one of their LLV uppers I'll end up using the grip frame from this pistol for a Scorpion clone build anyway :)

Thanks CR. I've passed on many a Ruger Mark xx pistol over the years, never having seen or realized a purpose for them, but things change, even for old curmudgeons like me, LOL. Maybe you should take out that Mark I and allow it to stretch it's legs a bit? :D

Current Resident likes this.
  13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I like the SoLow scope mounts but I think they are defunct. I had to grind the bottom so I could reassemble the pistol while they were attached, due to too-tight tolerance.

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

My newest MKII was a non-drilled model too. After getting everything else done, the drilling is taking the longest because my gunsmith is so busy. I have a few last parts waiting on the bench ready to go play.

15. 4runnerteq

4runnerteq

Best I can tell yeah Majestic Arms. Trigger is awesome.

DAW9347 likes this.
  16. First shot

First shot

I think that’s what the mob hit guy used to take out Sam Giancanna in his Chicago basement kitchen back in the 80’s...Sam was cooking his last sauce...

17. bubbatime

bubbatime

I have the heavy barrel version of that pistol and I will never disassemble it again. Just aerosol gun lube. Wipe out what I can, and keep shooting.

DrewBone and lazarus66 like this.
  18. unit1069

unit1069

Did you buy a Lottery ticket that day? If not, you should have.

I paid $220 for my Mark II with the 6 7/8 inch barrel and it's so accurate in my wildest fantasy moments I believe I'm a sniper dude. I really need to shoot it a lot more, especially since I've got the magazine reloader that makes it so remarkably easy to shoot all day. I don't remember the name of it but somebody here surely does.

DrewBone likes this.
  19. DrewBone

DrewBone

LOL, you guys are too funny! It's not that bad!

20. FlyingNinja

FlyingNinja

B426AD68-A3C0-480F-BEDF-F3FB90ABF8BB.jpeg

Went to an estate sale about a year ago and came home with this:...$150
    Still tryin to figure out posting pics...sorry

MinervaDoe, GlockyQ, nursetim and 3 others like this.