Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ruger has just released some new, interesting guns. I am impressed by their effort. I like the little things they did to lower costs and decisions like the Glock mag conversion. I found myself pondering what impact these guns might have.

What are people’s thoughts about these new offerings from Ruger? Will the moves made by Ruger, and a few other companies lately, have an impact on gunmaking? What does it mean, if anything, for the future of the firearms industry?

Edited for links:

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

https://www.ruger.com/products/security9/models.html

https://www.ruger.com/products/ec9s/models.html

There are others, but these were what I was thinking of.

·
Just lack finishing up
5,635 Posts
Ruger seems to be consumer driven - moreso than other gun companies.

I wonder how far the gun business can go. When civilians in the US own more than 270 million firearms (some estimates put the number of privately owned guns higher than the entire US population), how many more guns can be sold?

·
21,532 Posts
I was planning on buying some Kel-Tecs Sub2000 and putting them away for my kids. After handling them today the Kel-Tecs are off the list and the new Ruger has been put into the running. I like guns that are compatible with my Glock mag collection.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Ruger seems to be consumer driven - moreso than other gun companies.

I wonder how far the gun business can go. When civilians in the US own more than 270 million firearms (some estimates put the number of privately owned guns higher than the entire US population), how many more guns can be sold?
Gun manufacturers haven’t scratched the surface of the US market. One would have thought that things would be stable and level out when the Bush II regime went into office. Lo and behold a tyrant followed him called Obama and he sold more guns and ammo in his two terms than were probably purchased in the previous 20 years. I have what the average guy would consider to be a lot of firearms but I’ve never got to the place that I didn’t want one more.

·
Registered
15,978 Posts
I think Ruger is definitely consumer-demand driven and has some fantastic firearms conceptually, if not a little lacking in actual execution.

The RPR, GSR, 22/45 Lite, American Predator Rifle, Vaquero, Blackhawk Bisley, and now the new 9mm carbine are all forward thinking and enthusiast-pleasing firearms.

I just wish they would slow down a bit and get them out the door correct and not with a bunch of mistakes and recall-worthy design flaws.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
I tell you what, you are right, they are really trying to breakthrough, but I tell you something else, I don't feel that, even as hard as they have tried, they have really knocked the 9mm service pistol out of the park with anything they have fielded from the '89 to the American. Yeah, they have their niche, but Glock execs are not up late at night, with acid reflux, over Ruger autos...
Now, the LCP is another story entirely, even though it was only an upgraded P3AT, whatever, it set the pocket gun world on fire.
If those rat bastards would only go ahead and market an LCRx, 3" adjustable sighted, 357, that would warm the cockles of my grey, shriveled little heart...

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I tell you what, you are right, they are really trying to breakthrough, but I tell you something else, I don't feel that, even as hard as they have tried, they have really knocked the 9mm service pistol out of the park with anything they have fielded from the '89 to the American. Yeah, they have their niche, but Glock execs are not up late at night, with acid reflux, over Ruger autos...
Now, the LCP is another story entirely, even though it was only an upgraded P3AT, whatever, it set the pocket gun world on fire.
If those rat bastards would only go ahead and market an LCRx, 3" adjustable sighted, 357, that would warm the cockles of my grey, shriveled little heart...
I think Ruger is being smart.
The 9mm market is flooded.
So they are finding or in some cases making a nitch market for the products.
Examples would be
American rimfire
American rifle
LCP series
Precision rifles
Rimfire precision rifles
The carbine
Etc....
They are picking and choosing the battles and it seems like they arw winning.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
I think Ruger is being smart.
The 9mm market is flooded.
So they are finding or in some cases making a nitch market for the products.
Examples would be
American rimfire
American rifle
LCP series
Precision rifles
Rimfire precision rifles
The carbine
Etc....
They are picking and choosing the battles and it seems like they are winning.
No argument there, but they have tried the 9mm service market, and I think they fell short. (and I wanted to like the American, really!)
I still want that 3" 357 LCRx, dammit!!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
They are smart and realistic. When a product has its own niche they price it accordingly and they make a good buck. When they enter a market segment which is crowded and dominated by a leader (G19) they price their offerings very competitively to make a dent in the market.

With the new carabine, they are hoping that all the 10/22 aftermarket industry will rise to support improve and expand on their product. I am sure it’s more than a hope but since I don’t actually know I’ll leave it at that.

It seems to me they are also lucky in that Glock never wanted to fill that niche so why not go for it with a product that has several winning features?

They understand guns AND marketing. It’s not as common as you’d think in this industry.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
No
No argument there, but they have tried the 9mm service market, and I think they fell short. (and I wanted to like the American, really!)
I still want that 3" 357 LCRx, dammit!!!
No arguement,( hope I did not come off that way) just typing while watching the snow.
They did fall short on the service pistols.
I wish other companies would not be afraid to think outside the box.
Maybe a GP101 in 30 carbine!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
They are smart and realistic. When a product has its own niche they price it accordingly and they make a good buck. When they enter a market segment which is crowded and dominated by a leader (G19) they price their offerings very competitively to make a dent in the market.

With the new carabine, they are hoping that all the 10/22 aftermarket industry will rise to support improve and expand on their product. I am sure it’s more than a hope but since I don’t actually know I’ll leave it at that.

It seems to me they are also lucky in that Glock never wanted to fill that niche so why not go for it with a product that has several winning features?

They understand guns AND marketing. It’s not as common as you’d think in this industry.
One can only hope for a follow up in 10 millimeter / Glock mag capable .

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I've never been fond of Ruger products. Most are overweight investment cast boat anchors. With the exceptions of their on and off and on and off again Red Label O/U shotguns and their No. 1 rifle, nothing from them comes close to impressing me. And with the cheezy looks of their latest offerings you'd though they'd hired recently laid off Kel-Tec design department summer help employees.

Besides, who could ever forget (have you, or maybe you're not even aware of) the Tom Brokaw television interview in which Bill Ruger stated, amongst other things:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun...I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock...I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

Yeah, Bill Ruger's really dead, but it's still kinda' hard to support a company who's owner etched those sentences, especially the one containing the words "simple civilian" into my mind some years ago...

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.