Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey:Hello all, I got a buddy who is about to buy a ruger lcr for everyday carry. All my experiance with handguns has been with glocks. Anyone got one or got an opinion on them?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Whoops, scratch that. I read LCP, not LCR. :upeyes:

LCR is good to go. I want one but can't bring myself to go with a revolver after all the training I've done with semi's.

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
I own a LCR .357. The trigger is superb. The DAO trigger pull feels lighter than it actually is. They can be had with a Crimson Trace laser grip. The stock sights are ok. I've seen LCR's upgraded with XS tritium front sights.

.38 Special & .38 Special +P are no problem to shoot. .357 Magnum is a handful out of the LCR. It's not exactly fun, but not terrible either. It just takes some getting used to.

CCW is not legal in IL, but I was curious about pocket holsters. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for the LCR. It works well in jeans pocket, and cargo pants. I have no practical experience with CCW, so I really don't know how to evaluate the LCR's conceal-ability.

I've read in other forums that the standard LCR Hogue grip does not lend itself well to concealment. Ruger sells a shorter Hogue Boot Grip on their website. From what I've read, the Hogue Boot Grip is the one you want for CCW.

I've shot both the LCR 38 and the .357. It's easier to control .38 Special & .38 Special +P rounds out of the LCR .357, the felt recoil is less. My noob advice is if possible, get the .357. It gives the most ammo versatility.

Definitely get a speed loader or speed strip.

Cleaning is very easy. The manual says to oil the action with a few drops of oil every 1,000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have one in .38 +P. I carry it in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. Right now I don carry it very often. That will probably change when it warms up. My G19 sees about 75% carry time and the LCR 25% time.

·
Glockster
83 Posts
I've been carrying the LCR .357 everyday since July and I love it. It rides in my front pocket in a pocket holster and will not print unless wearing tight fitting pants. I have the original houge grips which are great for absorbing recoil. I bought the boot grips and they do conceal better but I took them off because it was not enough grip for the .357. The trigger is much smoother than the comparable S&W. The sights are okay; I purchased a Tritium front sight that I need to install. I highly recommend this revolver in either .357 or in .38 for EDC.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm a fan of the lcr. From the overall look to the trigger. I'm sure i'll end up with one.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I've had mine for only two weeks, .38 with XS front site. I've only got around 200 rounds through it but haven't had any issue's. Trigger pull is great and I highly reccomend spending the few extra $ for the XS.

·
Keep&Bear Arms
103 Posts
I have had mine for two weeks as well. I have crimson trace and thanks to up1911fan, XS Tritium sights installed last week. It is always in my front right pocket. I tried a pocket holster but that printed real bad so I just carry it on its own.

Now I need a safe, because my G19 just sits around all day. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been thinking about getting one of these as a BUG. I am leaning toward the .357 just because of the versatility of rounds I can use.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the LCR with the boot grip and XS sights. I think the best combination would be the XS sights and the standard Hogue Tamer grip for increased shootability.

·
Where's my EBT?
6,711 Posts
Good thread. I'm taking my Mom to a gun show next weekend so she can replace her Taurus Model 65, which is both too heavy, and has too heavy a DA trigger for her.

I'll have her handle the LCR, and if the DA trigger is as good as described, she'll probably get one. (.38 SP only, as she couldn't handle .357 recoil.)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

Ruger got it right with this one.

14 ounces with a few more for .38+P loads.

Very smooth and light trigger.

For anyone looking to get back into revolvers, or their first one.

Skip the Stink and Messon J frames and junky Charters..go directly to the LCR.

I like the M&Ps but my last two Js were crap.

The Ruger LCR is the coolest of them all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was going to purchase one as a replacement for my old 642. After renting and trying out 357 mag ammo I decided that my 642 was fine. The light weight frame is just a bit too light to be able to handle 357 mag ammo. You may have better paws than me and can handle the power but I would try it out first.

Overall they are solid pistols and I wouldn't be afraid of picking one up. I just couldn't justify the price for an upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts