close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger LCR, Pocket Pistol or Not?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by realitycheck390, Feb 1, 2010.

1. realitycheck390

realitycheck390

That is my question. How good is the Ruger LCR at pocket carry. I have read some that say the handle is a little too wide for them for pocket carry. Other have said no problem disappears in my pocket. I havent put my hands on the lcr but did put my hands on the 642 and it just disappeared in my jeans pocket.
    What about the LCR???

p.s. I am 5'10" and 170lbs.

2. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I don't see why it wouldn't. My only concern is how sticky the Hogue Grips are. They might get caught in your pocket during a draw. If you do go with the LCR, look into the Crimson Trace Laser Grips, as they are polymer on the sides, but rubber on the front and backstrap, so getting caught in the pocket isn't as big of a concern. The LCR does have a great trigger though. I ended up with an S&W 438 Bodyguard though; I preferred the ability to cock the hammer back if needed. I say go for the LCR, but get hands on before you buy.

3. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I own both the LCR and 642. They are the same size. The LCR is a bit lighter.

4. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

This. I have owned both. Only issue would be the stickiness of the grip as stated above. Of the two, the LCR has a much better trigger.

5. geez1234

geez1234

Thanks for posting this, I almost asked the same question yesterday. I'm looking to replace my NAA 22mag as my back up to my G26. Im on the fence between an LCR or an LCP/P3AT. Guess I'll have to go to the gun store to try them out. My only concern about the LCR is being a little more awkward to pocket than the 380s. I'm not too concerned about the caliber as the majority of the time I have the glock on me too.

6. Lowrangerider

Lowrangerider

LCP is way easier then LCR for pocket carry. with that said if you still want a revolver, the LCR with the laser grips is much thinner then the hogue.

7. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Not.

What's wrong with the 442/642?

8. realitycheck390

realitycheck390

I dont think there's anything wrong with the s&w's. I was actually looking at the 642 to begin with. But i've been reading reviews on both, and over and over i've read the 642 is now in the safe and the LCR is whats in the pocket. Everything i've read said the LCR has a better trigger setup and handles recoil better, also alot say the sights are easier for them to use and the gun is a natural pointer.

9. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Agreed. As someone who has owned both, I'd carry the LCR.

10. CTM_357

CTM_357 first gen. g17

The LCR pocket carries very nice. You will forget it is in your pocket.

11. realitycheck390

realitycheck390

Thats what I wanted to hear.

12. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I've owned both, and put one on top of the other, and it is obvious that the LCR is larger than the 642, though it is lighter.

My LCR had laser grips which may have contributed to the extra size. I traded it on a 442.

13. realitycheck390

realitycheck390

Larger in what way J.R.?
    Length, width, height, or just overall?
    And how much bigger?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  14. jsm190

jsm190

I am waiting for my pocket holster to replace my P3at with the lcr I just bought. I had a 442 and 642 before but never carried them because holes were all over the target so I sold them. With the LCR at 10 yards all shots were COM, Like the others have said, I think the trigger had a lot to do with better shot consistency.

15. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

What pocket holster is recommended for the LCR?

16. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

I don't like DA revolvers much, but love my LCR!

[​IMG]

17. Masterson

Masterson

I have a LCR that I carry in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I am about the same size as OP. I feel that the LCR does print some, but the Nemesis does help to diffuse the outline. With a little practice, pulling the LCR isn't as bad as you would think, even with the Hogue grips.

I think the ppl that say either the LCR/642/442 disappear in their pockets, must be bigger body frames than I am. Bigger guys = Bigger pockets. :)

One thing I can say though, a loaded LCR in pocket, is very light and does travel well.

18. awpk03s

awpk03s

Weight wise its fine for pocket carry.
    Size wise its too large for me. Cargo pockets are fine but jeans and khakis and dress pants are not - the grip is too long/tall.
    Just my opinion. Good gun though.

19. michiganGLOCK

michiganGLOCK

i have had the chance to shoot my grandfather's Ruger LCR and that wheelgun shot amazingly well. I had four shots touching each other at the center of my target.

20. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

For what it's worth. I shot a LCR a month or so ago and loved it. Great trigger and felt recoil was better then the J frames I've shot. My CWP will be along shortly so I'm getting serious about buying a pocket gun.
    Last weekend a gun shop was good enough to put a LCR in a pocket holster they had and ... I couldn't get it in my pocket without the Hogue grip snagging on the pocket seam and then the pocket material itself. Once in I couldn't get it out without the problem. They put a 642 in the same holster and it slipped in with no snag and was easy to slip my hand in and draw the Smith. Very disapointed. I really like shooting the LCR but if I can't get it out of my pocket... The only grip options I know of are Crimsontrace laser grips and the extra $200 for me is a deal breaker. Looks like I'll be deciding between a 642 and a 442. Or maybe a 638...