Ruger LCR 9mm bullet-jump safe ammo

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Scott_See, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Scott_See

Scott_See

Mas,
    I ended up getting the LCR 9mm (see my post here Sept. 28th) I'm loving the gun. But one issue I'm still wrestling with is ammo that's safe against bullet-jump. (aka crimp-jump?) I experienced this rather soon after buying this gun, but I was using cheap range ammo. Now I'm a bit concerned about picking the right self defense ammo. I figure an elephant stopper that doesn't shoot isn't as good as a wimpy round that does. Given the importance of reliability, what are some ammo that you'd recommend for this gun?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Scott, let me look into that for you and get back to you.
    best,
    Mas

Scott_See likes this.

3. Mas Ayoob

Scott, I'm going to suggest you try the following protocol with the carry loads you are considering.

Fill up a moon clip with the given load, use a marker to make a slash at the juncture where case mouth externally meets bullet, and load with the marked round in line with the barrel so it will come up last. Fire the other four, withdraw the 4/5ths spent moon, and carefully examine the remaining cartridge.

Here were my results with three loads.

Winchester 147 grain subsonic Win-clean training ammo. Minimum forward pull.
    [​IMG]

Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P JHP. More visible forward bullet pull.
    [​IMG]

Federal 9BPLE 115 grain +P+ JHP. Significant forward movement of projectile.
    [​IMG]

Hoping this is helpful,
    Mas

4. Scott_See

Scott_See

Wow, thank you so much. You've inspired me. I'll do some testing and report back. I had done a lot of searching for answers to this and found next to nothing, so you might very well be the leading expert in 9mm ammo in revolvers at this point already. : )

kilodelta7 likes this.
  5. Scott_See

Scott_See

I've compiled the research you've done with a little of my own and put it here: http://www.mtadamsfishgame.com/9mm-ammo-bullet-creep-in-snubnose-revolver/

If you send me a list of other ammo that would be worthy of testing, I'd be happy to test it and add it to http://www.mtadamsfishgame.com/9mm-ammo-bullet-creep-in-snubnose-revolver/

By the way, I've seen this referred to a bullet creep and bullet jump. Is one term more appropriate for this?

And of course, I linked back to this thread and gave credit to you for your three photos/comments.

Thanks!
    Scott

6. Mas Ayoob

Thanks, Scott. I think either term is suitably descriptive.

7. Scott_See

Scott_See

I'm happy to do more testing for the good of all those, few thought their numbers be, who have 9mm lightweight, snub nose revolvers. Is there any other ammo you'd recommend that I test?

8. Mas Ayoob

It would be interesting if you could get your hands on some of the old 9mm Federal load, which was essentially a rimmed case version of Federal 9BP, a 115 grain JHP at standard velocity. Or just try some 9BP in moon clips. The 9mm Federal was designed for 9mm revolvers.
    best,
    Mas