Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Deplorable
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience pocket carrying a LCR that can comment on the weight difference of the .38 vs the .357 (or 9mm) LCR?

I'd prefer 9mm (shorter cartridge, moon clips, better ballistics, cheaper) over .38, but not if the extra 4 ounces becomes bothersome in a pocket.

I had a S&W 940 9mm all stainless snubbie years ago. It was way too heavy.

Feel free to suggest alternatives.

· Registered
3,497 Posts
I had both versions but got rid of the .38spl. These light revolvers are harsh shooters. I prefer the .357mag for the 3.5oz of extra weight and versatility of ammo choices. This gun is carried primarily during the winter months, it fits nicely in an overcoat pocket allowing quick access or ability to fire within the garment if necessary.

· Deplorable
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have both and the additional weight of the 9/.357 LCR is noticeable in the pocket.
Thanks.

Do you have the 9mm? If yes, how do you like that? How is the extraction? The 9mm cases would stick badly in my old S&W 940, another reason why I sold it.

Any advice on pocket carrying the LCR? I'm inclined to think it is a bit large for pocket carry, but I'm not thrilled with the .380 or any of the more pocketable guns chambered for it.

· woo woo
31,849 Posts
For cargo pockets, the LCR .357 carries about as well as my 442-2, even though the rubber stocks are slightly bigger. In smaller or tighter pocket, you'll notice it's size over the J frames more.
In the LCR, I'd definitely go .357 so you have the full spectrum of power options to choose from to determine what's comfortable to shoot. I like the 9mm idea if it's backing up a pistol with the same round...but otherwise I'd lean .38sp/.357.

· Deplorable
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had both versions but got rid of the .38spl. These light revolvers are harsh shooters. I prefer the .357mag for the 3.5oz of extra weight and versatility of ammo choices. This gun is carried primarily during the winter months, it fits nicely in an overcoat pocket allowing quick access or ability to fire within the garment if necessary.

Thanks and thanks for the pic.

I find it funny that I'm considering the LCR. I thought it was hideous when it first came out. The looks have grown on me for sure. Now I just wish the rear notch was deeper.

What do you think of the hi-vis vs a tritium front sight?

I haven't tried an airweight .38 before. I should do that.

· Registered
3,497 Posts

I find it funny that I'm considering the LCR. I thought it was hideous when it first came out. The looks have grown on me for sure. Now I just wish the rear notch was deeper.

I prefer the HiViz over the stock sight. This guns purpose is self-defense in close quarters and I practice point shooting. The sights aren't used all that much but are good when shooting targets at longer distances.

· Banned
63,200 Posts
Thanks.

Do you have the 9mm? If yes, how do you like that? How is the extraction? The 9mm cases would stick badly in my old S&W 940, another reason why I sold it.

Any advice on pocket carrying the LCR? I'm inclined to think it is a bit large for pocket carry, but I'm not thrilled with the .380 or any of the more pocketable guns chambered for it.

Yes I have the 9mm. It seems to shoot ok. Doesn't extract worth a damn with aluminum case ammo but then that's just FMJ.

For pocket carry, it's best to buy a wooden grip from eagle Grip or something like that. The factory grip is rather big and sticky. The alternative Hogue Bantam Grip is a bit smaller but still too sticky for true pocket carry.

As current I still prefer the .38 because of lighter weight.

· Banned
63,200 Posts

I shot the hi viz LCR before. It wasn't a game changer for me. The standard front sight is quite visible already.

You should try an Airweight SW. That way you'd know that the LCR is what you really want.

· Deplorable
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shot the hi viz LCR before. It wasn't a game changer for me. The standard front sight is quite visible already.

You should try an Airweight SW. That way you'd know that the LCR is what you really want.
I said airweight, but I really just meant that I'd never shot an ultralight .38 snubbie. You are right though, I should try both the Smith and the Ruger.

I'm liking the LCR because I can at least put a visible (and tritium) front sight on it. Another gripe I had with the S&W 940 Centenial was I couldn't get a good sight picture with the little stainless sights. I don't care what the gun was designed for, I want sights I can see.

If I were to get a Smith again it would have to be a no-lock. At least with the LCR I can't see it.

ETA - I'm also thinking Ruger over Smith because I think it would handle recoil better and that the trigger would be better. A test shoot would verify that though.

· Deplorable
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have the 9mm. It seems to shoot ok. Doesn't extract worth a damn with aluminum case ammo but then that's just FMJ.

For pocket carry, it's best to buy a wooden grip from eagle Grip or something like that. The factory grip is rather big and sticky. The alternative Hogue Bantam Grip is a bit smaller but still too sticky for true pocket carry.

As current I still prefer the .38 because of lighter weight.
I wouldn't have thought to get wooden grips. How do the Eagle grips handle recoil vs the factory grip?

· Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
I've owned and carried both. I used to carry one at work before concealed carry was legal here because it was so easy to pocket carry discreetly. I never really noticed a lot of difference between the 38 and 357 weight wise in my pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.