Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a LCP to pocket carry when I want something smaller that a J frame or G26. I use Gold Dots in my J frame and G26. I will test at least two boxes first but at $1 a round it's to costly to test 100's of rounds.
If you own a LCP what SD ammo works well for you?
Thanks for the info.

·
Giant Member
5,939 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense seems to be a preferred load from everything I've read and it's what I use. I can't give you the detailed ballistics data on the round but my LCP eats through it with no problems.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hornady Critical Defense seems to be a preferred load from everything I've read and it's what I use. I can't give you the detailed ballistics data on the round but my LCP eats through it with no problems.
That seems to be good ammo I may look into that.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Federal Personal Defense is some pretty decent ammo. Same basic stuff as the older Hydra Shok stuff with the post in the center of the hollow point. Also, from reviews I've read Remington Golden Saber is suppose to have a pretty good feed profile so it'll work well with semi-autos.

·
NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol
507 Posts
I use 90 gr hydrashoks. It eats them like candy and they seem to be very accurate considering what you're shooting them from. There are different theories on the use of .380. Some say penetration of a fmj over a HP that won't expand at the velocities of a .380.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
The Federal hydrashok/personal defense loads are designed to expand at lower velocities, that's why I like em' so much.
The 135gr, 9x19mm stuff I'm using in my 92F is listed at 1050fps/330ft/lbs which isn't too shabby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No matter what brand it's still advisable to test your carry pistol for reliability. Just because it works well in other LCPs doesn't mean it works well in your LCP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Remington Golden Saber 102gr JHP. I've put at least 100 rounds through it without a problem. I did have some feed issues with Hornady XTP. I always run at least 100 rounds of whatever I plan on using in a carry weapon.
mjb

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In my P3at Hornady Critical Defense works well. Never had to test how well on human tissue yet thank God. However if you believe what they say about them it should be OK.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my P3at Hornady Critical Defense works well. Never had to test how well on human tissue yet thank God. However if you believe what they say about them it should be OK.

thanks I may give that a try. I have found 25 round boxes for $16.50 so it's cheeper than GD.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I use Fiocchi extrema with the Hornady XTP bullet. $19.95 a box of 50 from ammunitiontogo. Not much more then some of the FMJ prices and cheap enough to practice with. I've never had a failure with it, but then again my LCP hasn't had a problem with any of the rounds I've tried.

·
Unmasked
7,500 Posts
I alternate every other round in the magazine. HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ...

The FMJ is Remington green box, the HP's are Winchester RA380T.

Some say the HP's don't expand, or penetrate enough, so the HP's are for penetration.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've done a lot of research on what's the most effective SD round in .380. Most tend to agree that the JHP lacks in penetration, however, getting shot with one would be most unpleasant. I carry two 90 gr Gold Dots followed by 5 WWB FMJ. I'm comfortable with this.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have been using the 90 grain low recoil Federal hydra shocks for a couple of years and love them. The feed great and like previously stated expand very very well at lower velocities.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts