Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
US Army Vet.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LCP will stove pipe or fail to feed every so often. I've fired 200 rounds with no problems one range session and then have two issues in 50 rounds at another. Same ammo.
Anyone have any insight on this? I've tried polishing the rails and feed ramp with some extremely fine sandpaper to no avail.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would not abrade the rails on the frame with sandpaper at all. If you are talking about the slide rails, it may not be damaging, but doesn't seem smart either. IIRC, those frame rails are aluminum alloy and they have a thin layer of ultra hard anodizing, which is what protects the soft aluminum metal underneath. Since steel is harder than aluminum, the anodized layer is there by design. Likewise, when people polish feed ramps, I don't think sandpaper is typically on the menu. I am pretty sure they use a cotton brush attachment on a Dremel and polishing compound.

To my knowledge, the one major thing that can mess up these guns' reliability is the extractor fitment, and the only way to fix that is to call up the manufacturer and ask them to fix it for you. These guns should not be jamming that often. I've owned a few of them at various points in the past and I don't think any of them ever jammed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting topic of conversation as I am having the same issue with a new LCP.
Background, I’ve had a couple in the past and why I traded them is due to convincing myself is bigger is better, which I’m my case is not the case. I like the ones I had in the past and they both worked flawlessly with hundreds of rounds through them.
I came across a deal, pre pandemic, on a stainless LCP similar to the anniversary model without the stamping, good looking gun and better trigger.
Once I had a chance to hit the range with it, I ran 100 rounds of sig sauer fmj’s through it, which I’ve always had success with. Well, needless to say, I couldn’t get through one mag, that the gun came with without it failing to eject? It was a painful range session. I took the gun apart at home and polished the barrel, feedramp, and disassembled the extractor, cleaned oiled and reset it. Next trip to the range with the same ammo helped somewhat but as the gun warmed up it was failure after failure.
I’ve never been one to call a company of a product I own and my wife of all people told me to call them, so I did and spoke to a very friendly lady who seemed very knowledgeable about the gun and she went and confirmed with one of the gunsmiths. Once back on the call she said they were going to send me a new slide assembly to try and if I had any further issues to let her know and she would send postage to return my LCP for them to further diagnoses.
Today, I received my package from ruger and it was a new slide, barrel, guide and spring, basically the whole top of the pistol. I was very impressed to say the least.
I haven’t fired it yet but will be this weekend so I’m hopeful this cures my issues. If it does I will let you know.
I realize these are small guns and have had their issues over the years but I know that ruger has sold millions of these and having had a couple, I know they work and can last just like any other gun made. I feel as a company ruger has gone above for my needs and again I hope this works as it’s a gun I carry on a daily basis.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
after around 8 years of carrying my lcp and app 3-400 rounds i noticed the recoil spring was getting weak (when doing a press check it would fail to return to battery) that did cause a couple of stovepipes after i replaced the spring its running fine again unless i shoot steel cased ammo mine hates the stuff

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I bought one in 2009 and never had a problem with it. Foolishly, I let my daughter have it and it got stolen out of her vehicle. It was recovered by the police in a crime. We have not yet come back into possession of it. Once I bought a Glock G42, I no longer had need of it, although it was a nice little gun.

·
Wut?
2,613 Posts
My LCP II had rough edges when I first got it. Mags would not insert, slide would not return to battery when holding down the slide lock with an empty mag, things like that. I had 9 FTEs in the first few hundred rounds. Then all the parts got worn in, everything's smooth, and I've gone over a thousand rounds without a malfunction. Maybe it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've had dozens of LCPs at LE backup gun quals. I've got an early one, 11-12 years old that's had 600-800 rounds through it. I can't recall it ever jamming. I can tell you LCPs run best with the barrel & slide rails lightly oiled.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,241 Posts
Some considerations;

• As mentioned above, lightly oil the barrel and any spots that you see have some wear.
  • Check to see if the hiccups are with a particular mag.
  • I use Riggs Universal gun grease on my rails. I find the gun grease lasts longer on the rails.
  • Make sure the recoil spring is still good and/or replace it with one that is a little stronger.
  • Make sure the guide rod has no issues.
I have both an LCP (post 2013 model) and LCP II and I've experienced no hiccups with either.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a several years older lcp and it digests everything. Absolutely flawless. I don't usually carry it though, preferring one of my 9mms or 45s.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I’ve got one of the original LCPs with a stainless slide, I had some issues with it when it was new 10 years ago but after I shot the piss out of it it cleared up

·
US Army Vet.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its not the mags. I actually sent one back to ruger because it was jamming every round. they destroyed it and sent me a new one. the problem is much less often. now that its been said it does seam like the more I've shot it the better the issue has gotten. I'll shoot it some more as soon as I can find the ammo.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
I've had two, both died on me despite being given the best of care. I really liked the first one, it was completely reliable and for me, shot very well, far better than I had expected. Then on a range trip it died, look down and the extractor had been blown out of the gun, nowhere to be found. Was using factory ammo and the last round sounded and felt normal.

Ruger replaced it. That one also died on the range, the slide was impossible to rack by hand, again factory ammo that felt fine. Neither gun was ever shot with other than factory ammo and no +P which is proscribed in the manual. Suggested to Ruger that they give me another gun, which they did their compact 9mm which I sold to a gunshop.

Very disappointing, I really liked it. Decided I'll use my Ruger SR9cs and deal with a bulkier gun with the positive tradeoff of more rounds and much more powerful ones. Don

·
Registered
32,230 Posts
I have a couple of LCP's. A blued one from Post-recall production (2012?), and a stainless one made after they changed the sights and trigger geometry. Both feed/fire and function with an assortment of ball and several American-made JHP loads I commonly use.

The first one (blue barrel) initially had a problem with the take-down pin walking under recoil, but a new take-down pin from Ruger resolved that issue. (Before calling Ruger to get a new pin, I initially tried an expensive aftermarket pin with a machined slot to capture the spring, but the snappy recoil of the LCP caused that fancy pin to rotate and walk, too.)

Anyway, I've watched a couple guys with larger hands than mine, and who use a high/forward thumb grip, experience feeding stoppages with LCP's. One of them (another firearms instructor) asked for help when his LCP couldn't get through a magazine of ball ammo without stoppages. he thought it might be the old ball ammo he was using, which was tarnished and badly discolored.

I watched him shoot and noticed that whether he used a 1 or 2-handed grip, he allowed his primary hand's thumb to go straight forward alongside the slide. During the snappy moment of recoil & cycling, his thumb looked like it tightened against the side of the slide.

The little LCP slide doesn't have a lot of slide run/travel distance, and unintentionally slowing its slide velocity wasn't doing him any favors. (He didn't "feel" his thumb touching against the slide during recoil, when I asked.)

I had him change his grip to more of a clenched grip, meaning curling his thumb a little down and away from where it might unintentionally hit the slide (like a "crush" grip). The little LCP instantly began perking right along and he experienced no more stoppages using the same old and well tarnished ball ammo and some JHP's I gave him.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,241 Posts
I got curious so I checked. My LCP is AZ and the LCP II in NC.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts