Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
86,062 Posts
My son is wanting a small pistol to carry, when he can't carry his CZ. He likes the thumb safety on my S&W Shield. I seen that the Bodyguard has a thumb safety, but I have never had one. He has been looking at the Ruger this week.
Just want to hear some thoughts on these two guns. What is you likes and dislikes of each model, if you have owned them. I might even look at some other pistols about the same size, but kind of between these two at the moment. They both seem to be pretty easy to find and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you.
I recommend taking a look at the Beretta Pico. At first, the pistol had a few issues, but Beretta listened and fixed them. I have an upgraded version and I love it. It is my EDC pocket pistol.
The build quality is very good for the price. The sights are great. The pistol is hammer fired and trigger is DAO. The only caveat is that the pistol has to be dry fired with a snap cap to protect the firing pin.

View: https://youtu.be/7xJVm2HMuhQ

I carry mine in a Desantis Nemisis and I use a grip sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Tactical-Taurus-Kel-Tec-Beretta/dp/B004NKY6B2

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
I have a Keltec P3AT since 2005. The thing is so reliable. I thought of getting rid of it a few times, but I couldn't. It does serves a purpose and I can't fault it.
Me, too. Your path mirrors my timeline and thoughts very, very well!

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
I have had both and still have the LCP. For a pocket 380 he's going to be fine either way. They are about the same size overall. The LCP is a few ounces lighter. The BG does have a thumb safety and while I do like a thumb safety, it isn't a deal breaker if it doesn't have one (like the LCP). The reason is that the triggers is a long pull. Some folks I know are comfortable enough with the long trigger pull of the LCP that they toss it in a pocket or clip it in their waist without a holster. Point being that it is a long trigger pull. Some folks complain about the trigger on the LCP being 'heavy'. Sorry, but a 7 lbs trigger isn't heavy and it isn't terrible. That LCP trigger is just fine as-is. I can make head shots all day long at 15 yards with my LCP. That's more than you need with a pocket 'get off me' pistol. The BG trigger is the same way, nice and long which is what you want on this type of pistol.

It's going to boil down to which he likes better. Both are good pistols for the intended purpose. I had both and traded off the BG. Not because I didn't like it, I actually like it quite well. But I had an offer for a trade that I couldn't pas up. And I liked my little pink muddy girl LCP for pocket carry anyway.

Pics of both can be found here as well as discussion on small caliber pistols in general:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105

You'll see the things I've done over the course of that thread. I added a 1.25 inch base plate. It makes it look weird and you'd think it would defeat pocket carry. For me it worked just fine. I pocket carried it at a recent wedding and in dress pants you couldn't tell I was carrying anything. Yet that extended base plate allows me to get all three fingers on the pistol which tames the recoil and makes it easier to shoot. I got the idea from the BG that I had because it had a base plate like that and I started to really like it. So I got one for the LCP.

Either way, both are dandy little pistols.
As we had discussed previously, your pink pistol plan is all yours! Go, PPP!

If the color throws off your accuracy, you have a problem. If not, well, you just have to have thick enough skin and have enough confidence in yourself to fend off the Barbie references, right?
:elephant::aodnsb::p

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,314 Posts
Takes a real man to shoot a pink pistol :D

And for the price I bought it for...I'll shoot a pink pistol all day long!

·
Señor Member
10,454 Posts
The LCP and Bodyguard are both good guns. They are tiny .380ACP guns, and bring with them all of the limitations one would expect. For me (my perspective, others may disagree), I feel the Bodyguard comes closer to feeling like a "real" (more normal sized gun) in terms of build and feel. The LCP is light years above my P3AT, but it is pretty light, and the ones I handled just seemed to feel like they were less solid, and had less attention to materials. Purely subjective, I know.

Having said that, I would still choose the LCP over the BG, just because it is smaller and lighter. As others have noted, the trigger on my Bodyguard was not great, but the trigger on my P3AT is bad, but I still choose it because I like my small guns small! It wins at being small.

I expect the BG and LCP to fare pretty similarly in most regards, so knowing what fits your hand better, and how important a bit smaller and lighter is will likely be your best guide. Good luck.
Thanks.

Reactions: boilergonzo

·
Registered
32,346 Posts
The LCP v. M&P Bodyguard 380?

My first gen LCP (but Post recall) had the take down pin walk a few times. I tried an aftermarket pin that was advertised to trap the wire in a machined groove, but the recoil force caused the wire spring to jump the groove and still walk. I called Ruger and they sent me a replacement pin and the problem didn't reoccur. To my eye, it appeared the small machined edge was sharper than on the first pin.

My second LCP was the stainless (slide) version, with the improved "trigger/hammer" geometry and revised fixed sights. No problem.

Both of my LCP's had fed, fired and ejected both standard Ball and the different JHP's I've tried, 3 of which I decided to use for carry. (W-W T-Series, Speer GDHP & Rem GS.)

I originally decided against the first Bodyguard (before it became part of the M&P line and was offered with & without laser and thumb safety). It was just enough larger than the LCP that it didn't interest me for my anticipated needs. I wanted the shortest and smallest .380 available for times when my jeans pockets wouldn't let me conceal one of my .38/.357 snubs.

I did have to replace a broken firing pin for one of our guys who bought an early Bodyguard 380. The factory said they'd revised the machining of the FP (where it engaged the safety plunger).

I've seen guys with larger hands, or those who like to try and shoot a LCP with a 2-handed high-thumb hold, experience feeding stoppages because one of both of their thumbs hit the slide during recoil. Well, that little slide has so little mass and such a short slide travel that "thumbing" the slide can create functioning problems. A couple guys had such large hands that they simply couldn't hold the little LCP and manipulate it.

One guy got rid of the LC, even though he resolved his grip technique issue and was able to make the LCP run with any ammo he tried, because he liked the larger grip of the Bodyguard. It was easier for him to shoot under stress.

As I recall, when LAPD approved their officers to carry both the LCP and the Bodyguard, the only version of the Bodyguard they would approve was one made without a thumb safety, and they required the laser battery to be removed. S&W subsequently decided to offer a version of the Bodyguard sans both integral laser and thumb safety.

FWIW, the trigger on the Bodyguard seemed a bit heavier and longer than that of even the early version of the LCP, but the longer grip helped mitigate that perception.

There are larger .380's on the market for folks folks who might simply prefer a larger grip frame, or who wish to experience less felt recoil than the smallest .380's seem to offer to many users.

If someone suits themselves for their desired size requirements, and they're able to obtain the degree of consistent practical accuracy they need to try and effectively use one of them? Well, that's always going to be the trick, isn't it?

I stuck with the LCP because I found it to be surprisingly accurate for such an itty bitty .380, and both of mine worked well with the JHP's I wanted to shoot. (I considered the first gun's first pin walking under recoil to be "one of the things" that can sometimes happen, and once corrected it wasn't an issue.)

Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
...the only version of the Bodyguard they would approve was one made without a thumb safety, and they required the laser battery to be removed. S&W subsequently decided to offer a version of the Bodyguard sans both integral laser and thumb safety...
The Bodyguard I have is the one with the laser. I don't need a laser on a gun that size (I would prefer it to just be smaller), but the button to activate it just doesn't work well for me. A bit tougher to manipulate than I would like. Even though they released the BG in a "no laser" option, I never bothered to upgrade, as it never beat out the P3AT (LCP doppleganger) or the larger SIG938 (or now 365) in 9mm. It languished. It is a decent gun, but didn't scratch an itch I needed scratched!

·
Registered
32,346 Posts
... It is a decent gun, but didn't scratch an itch I needed scratched!
Yeah, I can see that thinking. ;)

The only reason I even considered buying another .380 - (after an unsatisfactory experience with a Beretta 84 in the 80's, and seeing so many Walther PP-PPKS models offer hit or miss levels of functioning on our range) - was to have an alternative to when my 5-shot snubs wouldn't fit in some shorter & tighter front pockets of pants I liked.

It certainly wasn't for the caliber. ;)

I've never been one of those folks who felt an attraction to .380's for the sake of them being .380's, especially once we could get a reliable 9mm (and now .40) that wasn't really any larger.

Now that I can slip a pocket-holstered LCP inside a short and tight front pocket that won't let me conceal a 5-shot snub, and I don't anymore feel like "dressing around a retirement weapon" on some particular day/night, it gives me an option other than a NAA mini revolver. ;)

I wouldn't have gone that route if I hadn't been able to learn to run the little LCP's well within the 3-15yd courses-of-fire, though. The little LCP seems more accurate than it has any right to be for such a diminutive, really inexpensive pistol. (I can still generally shoot my .38 snubs better out at 25-50yds than I can the LCP's, but I didn't buy the LCP's with those distances in mind.)

Reactions: boilergonzo

·
Know-It-All
2,534 Posts
I went through the comparison a few years ago and decided on the BG mostly for the MUCH better sights and overall feel of better construction, even though I consider myself a Ruger fan. It still surprises me how accurate I am with it every time I take it to the range and it packs really well in a Remora pocket holster. I really only carry it when the summer heat reduces my concealment options down to shorts and tee shirts.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I love my Bodyguard. To me, the way it feels is so much better than the LCP or P3AT. It has been totally reliable so far, but I only have about 200 rounds out of it.
Usually I pocket carry an LC9, but at times, even that is too large. Then I go to the BG.
If that is too large, I have a P32 which has been awesome. It is so pleasant to shoot. When the P3AT came out, I tried one, but decided to stick with the P32, as it was much more "shootable".

Reactions: Cabel67 and n2g

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Had an LCP. Consistent malfunctions(FTE, mag dropping mid shooting, dead trigger, the list goes on). Sent it to Ruger. Came back still crap. Sent it back again. Came back still crap. Sent it back again, got a new one from them, this one had issues as well right out of the box. Used quality ammo.. Fiocchi hollow points, fiocchi fmj, cci fmj, speer fmj, issues with everything and multiple shooters to avoid shooter error.

Felt like cheap crap, performed like cheap crap, last Ruger or any cheap gun I ever buy.
I like ruger, and think they make good revolvers and rifles. So far, I have NOT been impressed with their semi auto handguns I’ve owned or shot. Just sold a POS LCP. Junk. Shot an LC380 tonight, FTE also first and only 10 rounds. Trigger was garbage too. The 9 mm compacts and subcompacts feel cheap too compared to smith, sig, Glock. Etc. I think I’m avoiding Ruger semi auto pistols going forward.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I learned years ago, when you find a GOOD small .380, you HOLD ON TO IT! I sold a KetTec P3AT that was dead nuts reliable. And then it took me years, and thousands of dollars worth of guns and ammo, to finally find a reliable Ruger LCP.

If its junk, send it down the road. Not all of them suck. Some LCP's are awesome. Some are lemons. Send the lemons down the road, try again.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My experience with the LCP.

Original LCP manufactured 2011. Worked very well from the very first. I still have it.

Stainless slide LCP enhanced trigger manufactured 2014.

Manufacturing defect. Takedown pin holes not machined in proper alignment. Caused takedown pin to walk it.
Actually more like run out. Third magazine the pin was halfway out. On inspection both pin holes in the frame insert were wallowed.
Wallowed because the mis-aligned holes caused excessive wear each time fired.

I got a replacement stainless LCP. It worked. But was not as good (subjective call) as the original LCP.

I sold the stainless LCP in 2017 and bought a SIG P238 nitron. I liked the night sights and the P238 design.

The original LCP is great for a pocket pistol.

But I recommend testing it out.

As I got a good one I decided to keep it even though it has the original trigger design with the longer travel to the trip point.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I learned years ago, when you find a GOOD small .380, you HOLD ON TO IT! I sold a KetTec P3AT that was dead nuts reliable. And then it took me years, and thousands of dollars worth of guns and ammo, to finally find a reliable Ruger LCP.

If its junk, send it down the road. Not all of them suck. Some LCP's are awesome. Some are lemons. Send the lemons down the road, try again.
I know some people get flawless ones, but it’s hard and expensive to go through them trying to find one. I’d buy an LCP II or Max but this first exp soured me on the LCP series. I actually wanted a Bodyguard .380 originally. Are these fairly reliable?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
My experience with the LCP.

Original LCP manufactured 2011. Worked very well from the very first. I still have it.

Stainless slide LCP enhanced trigger manufactured 2014.

Manufacturing defect. Takedown pin holes not machined in proper alignment. Caused takedown pin to walk it.
Actually more like run out. Third magazine the pin was halfway out. On inspection both pin holes in the frame insert were wallowed.
Wallowed because the mis-aligned holes caused excessive wear each time fired.

I got a replacement stainless LCP. It worked. But was not as good (subjective call) as the original LCP.

I sold the stainless LCP in 2017 and bought a SIG P238 nitron. I liked the night sights and the P238 design.

The original LCP is great for a pocket pistol.

But I recommend testing it out.

As I got a good one I decided to keep it even though it has the original trigger design with the longer travel to the trip point.
From my readings it sounds as if the original or earlier production models of LCP had more reports of utter reliability. Ruger has a new plant, where my junk LCP was made.

·
Photojournalist
545 Posts
I carry two of the new LCP Max's and they are as reliable as both of my LCP II's have been. I also have two of the BG 380's that I don't carry any more due to the long hard trigger pull. The sights on the new LCP Max are terrific but also thinking about q small-dot sight as a replacement since I like a fuller white view in daylight.

The biggest advantage of the LCP II over the BG 380 are the factory 7 round mags that give you a better grip without sacrificing pocket carry-ability...on the other hand I can pocket carry the LCP Max with the 12 round mag without any issue.

Reactions: n2g

·
Georgia gal
1,825 Posts
I'm still undecided on buying an LCP Max. The stories of unreliability are a concern, and I like a thumb safety on striker fired pistols. I'm intrigued, however, and handled one last week. It's about the size of the no-laser M&P Bodyguard (gun store let me lay one on the other in the store). But I know it wouldn't replace carrying my BG, which has been 100% reliable with different ammo and different shooters including inexperienced teen girls.

What I really want is a "Bodyguard Plus" (ala the Shield Plus) with the LCP Max's capacity. I like that the BG is DA hammer fired even though the trigger pull is heavier. Mine has the little thumb safety (I love that type on my Shields) but I think you can buy them without it, like all the other M&Ps. I also use a pocket holster.

When I ordered two more Shield Plus magazines from S&W the other day, I asked the CS rep to pass my request for a BG Plus up the food chain. I'm sure I have a lot of influence, LOL. I'd love to see S&W offer one, though.

Especially being a woman, pistols the size of the LCPs and BGs are the only true pocket pistols for most of my clothing. I don't like purse carry for several reasons and everything else is too big for my tiny pockets.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts