Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The G42 loaded with Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP 1200 fps JHP's is the only .380 worth considering. If you have to have a smaller gun, get a P32 Keltec. But if you can possibly accommodate a larger gun, get a 9mm.
I have had 3 G42s. I gave him one of them last summer and he gave it back. He didn't like it.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I REALLY like my Kahr CW 380. It has not been without early growing pains but I like the design and feel so much I was willing to deal with it and get it running right.

I had a first gen ruger LCP and it soured me to the brand. I liked shooting it but managed to break break 4 extractors, a ball joint in the plastic trigger as well as the trigger spring is retained by the side of the thin polymer. The gen II I’ve heard seems solid but just not for me.

Personally, I would recommend the Kahr CW380 or P380 but know that most true pocket 380s are not without issues and most are not designed to shoot much.

he might like sig p238. Basically a mini 1911 in 380.

·
Georgia gal
1,825 Posts
I have an M&P (no laser) Bodyguard, and everyone who has shot it likes it.

Women's pants pockets are small and it's the only gun I own that will fit in some of them. That was my reason for buying a .380. (My Shield 2.0 is my favorite pistol, though.)

I can't compare it to the LCP as I've never shot one, other than to say when I bought the BG I thought it felt more like a "real gun" than the LCP did. It's performed flawlessly with several different brands of JHPs and FMJs, and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
22,903 Posts
I have an old first gen LC . It has been reliable. even shot our 25 yard qualification course with it. It was hard but still qualified. It is one of those guns meant to carry a lot and shoot a little

Reactions: Biggsly

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Too idiotic to even discuss. You're comparing a few ounces and fraction of an inch. And a blowback operated 380 vs. typical 9mm lock up.
You're the expert.
He has shot my Shield several times and I let him carry it a few times. He wants something smaller. I wish he would go with the Shield.
It's impossible that he wants something smaller than the Shield because it's only a few ounces heavier and a fraction of an inch thicker than some smaller offerings. I've been assured that to suggest otherwise would be idiotic to even bring up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've owned the LCP, LCP II, Bodyguard (non laser version), and the Keltec P3AT. I think the LCP II has the best trigger out of all of them. I carried the Bodyguard frequently, but once I shot the LCP II, I sold the Bodyguard. The Keltec I found to be really finicky with ammo and thus never carried it. The Bodyguard never gave me any issues and was always reliable. My vote for a 380 pocket pistol would be for the LCP II for the better trigger. It has been reliable as well. No issues so far.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have owned and shot the following:
Kel-Tec P3AT = very small and light. Seems not well made but never failed. Not made for much practice.
Kahr CW 380 = better made, strikers are a weak point. Accurate. Long, smooth trigger. Doesn't slingshot load well: lock back slide, insert mag, release slide. Tendonitis prevented me from racking the slide.
Sig 238 = well constructed mini-1911, reasonably accurate, light SA trigger. Expensive.
Glock 42 = Fairly accurate, reliable with the -03 magazines, too big for pocket carry
Taurus Spectrum = no problems but better options available. Uncaptured recoil spring problematic on reassembly after cleaning. Less felt recoil than all but G42.
S&W Bodyguard w/Laser = Well made. Accurate, especially using laser. SS slide. Laser permits firing when not directly behind pistol. Heavy trigger until break-in.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If he likes the LCP, I'd check out a Beretta Pico. I love mine. It disappears in a pocket or anywhere else, and for me shoots MUCH better than an LCP. Inexpensive, tiny, easy shooting pocket pistol...what's not to like?

·
Señor Member
10,454 Posts
I have a Bodyguard, and while I don't have an LCP, I do have its poor ancestor, the KelTec P3AT.

The Ruger is more refined than the P3AT, and is a smidge larger and heavier. But the Bodyguard is a step up from there in size.

These are not my photos, and I failed to record who posted them to give proper credit, but to me the biggest difference is in the size and weight. Both are 6+1, but one is thinner and lighter. Some love that, but some hate the feel and kick of a smaller gun. I had the P3AT first, and still have it around for ultralight carry days. I got the Bodyguard thinking it would displace it (better gun...), but it never did. In the end, as SpringerTGO noted, the nines got so small that a 938 and 365 pushed these both into the safe, and the Bodyguard hasn't been to the range or carried for quite a while. The P3AT has the advantage of being the smallest, lightest gun I have, so it still fills that role.

Between the two, it is more about what you want than picking a better gun in my book. Both are a step up in quality from my P3AT, and I have held the LCP and II, but given my diminished interest in the tiny guns in .380, never bothered to upgrade. I keep thinking about selling my Bodyguard, but given how little I would get for it, I just keep it around for no good reason...

Since I like my small guns small, I give the nod to the LCP.

View attachment 733404

View attachment 733408
Hi. I haven't even held the other guns, so wondering what you mean by "a step up in quality".

Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Safety switch is a bad thing. I have on my Shield .40, and it's the only thing that I don't like about the gun. Playing with a safety switch most likely will render a gun useless when needed.

·
Registered
15,808 Posts
My son is wanting a small pistol to carry, when he can't carry his CZ. He likes the thumb safety on my S&W Shield. I seen that the Bodyguard has a thumb safety, but I have never had one. He has been looking at the Ruger this week.
Just want to hear some thoughts on these two guns. What is you likes and dislikes of each model, if you have owned them. I might even look at some other pistols about the same size, but kind of between these two at the moment. They both seem to be pretty easy to find and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you.
I wanted to love the shield..fit in my hands well BUT the trigger is horrid...and that heavy/bad a trigger doesnt need a extra manual safety. What I wanted at the time was the Kahr .380 but they were unavailable anywhere without a wait of unknown time..If I were getting another .380 right now it would be the Kahr OR the LCPII

All that said now you have to decide if one of these fancy new single stacks is worthy also for your thoughts..Now I CAN NOT and DO NOT think stuff like the Glock 43(not even the 42 is a real pocket carry though you see guys jam glock 26 and 43/42 in their pocket and say see it is lol),Shield,Walther PPS are true pocket carry guns..I know me being 5'9" and 200 lbs can NOT pull it off in relaxed fit Wranglers and make it comfortable or non obnoxious..thats why I still have my .380....it actually IS a pocket gun.

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
Hi. I haven't even held the other guns, so wondering what you mean by "a step up in quality".

Thanks.
The LCP and Bodyguard are both good guns. They are tiny .380ACP guns, and bring with them all of the limitations one would expect. For me (my perspective, others may disagree), I feel the Bodyguard comes closer to feeling like a "real" (more normal sized gun) in terms of build and feel. The LCP is light years above my P3AT, but it is pretty light, and the ones I handled just seemed to feel like they were less solid, and had less attention to materials. Purely subjective, I know.

Having said that, I would still choose the LCP over the BG, just because it is smaller and lighter. As others have noted, the trigger on my Bodyguard was not great, but the trigger on my P3AT is bad, but I still choose it because I like my small guns small! It wins at being small.

I expect the BG and LCP to fare pretty similarly in most regards, so knowing what fits your hand better, and how important a bit smaller and lighter is will likely be your best guide. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have 3 LCP's, carry one most times I go out, use Underwood ammo and full confidence it. I shoot it a lot with ball ammo at the range, 100%.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The LCP and Bodyguard are both good guns. They are tiny .380ACP guns, and bring with them all of the limitations one would expect. For me (my perspective, others may disagree), I feel the Bodyguard comes closer to feeling like a "real" (more normal sized gun) in terms of build and feel. The LCP is light years above my P3AT, but it is pretty light, and the ones I handled just seemed to feel like they were less solid, and had less attention to materials. Purely subjective, I know.

Having said that, I would still choose the LCP over the BG, just because it is smaller and lighter. As others have noted, the trigger on my Bodyguard was not great, but the trigger on my P3AT is bad, but I still choose it because I like my small guns small! It wins at being small.

I expect the BG and LCP to fare pretty similarly in most regards, so knowing what fits your hand better, and how important a bit smaller and lighter is will likely be your best guide. Good luck.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.. The bodyguard feels like a miniature version of a real gun, with all the controls in familiar places, a real set of sites and it’s not an unattractive little pistol, kind of like a mini Smith & Wesson shield..

I’ve owned a couple LCP’s, a Taurus TCP and some other mini guns and this one fits the bill for me..

It shoots well, albeit at with a heavy trigger, but I still shoot it well and you know, that heavy trigger makes me feel very comfortable about dropping it in a pocket..

·
Registered
15,808 Posts
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.. The bodyguard feels like a miniature version of a real gun, with all the controls in familiar places, a real set of sites and it’s not an unattractive little pistol, kind of like a mini Smith & Wesson shield..

I’ve owned a couple LCP’s, a Taurus TCP and some other mini guns and this one fits the bill for me..

It shoots well, albeit at with a heavy trigger, but I still shoot it well and you know, that heavy trigger makes me feel very comfortable about dropping it in a pocket..
I agree and that was my thoughts also..but why that overly heavy trigger AND a thumb safety? I think had they made it without they thumb safety(aka left off the thumb safety as with a trigger THAT heavy its not a need)its a lot better IMO...

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
I agree and that was my thoughts also..but why that overly heavy trigger AND a thumb safety? I think had they made it without they thumb safety(aka left off the thumb safety as with a trigger THAT heavy its not a need)its a lot better IMO...
And here I thought they just added the "extra grittiness" to the triggers to make an accidental trigger pull less likely...

Hey, the P3AT is pretty much the worst of all worlds. A pretty rough trigger coupled with "sights" (not really... just tiny bumps on the slide) which are both a bit worse than the LCP offers and lots worse than the real sights on the Bodyguard!

Small gun compromises. Sometimes I guess we have to just accept what they offer! I do like the fact that S&W at least offers lots of guns both with and without safeties, to allow people to decide. But on some of the smaller options, you get what you get, even if we wish for something else!

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,314 Posts
My son is wanting a small pistol to carry, when he can't carry his CZ. He likes the thumb safety on my S&W Shield. I seen that the Bodyguard has a thumb safety, but I have never had one. He has been looking at the Ruger this week.
Just want to hear some thoughts on these two guns. What is you likes and dislikes of each model, if you have owned them. I might even look at some other pistols about the same size, but kind of between these two at the moment. They both seem to be pretty easy to find and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you.
I have had both and still have the LCP. For a pocket 380 he's going to be fine either way. They are about the same size overall. The LCP is a few ounces lighter. The BG does have a thumb safety and while I do like a thumb safety, it isn't a deal breaker if it doesn't have one (like the LCP). The reason is that the triggers is a long pull. Some folks I know are comfortable enough with the long trigger pull of the LCP that they toss it in a pocket or clip it in their waist without a holster. Point being that it is a long trigger pull. Some folks complain about the trigger on the LCP being 'heavy'. Sorry, but a 7 lbs trigger isn't heavy and it isn't terrible. That LCP trigger is just fine as-is. I can make head shots all day long at 15 yards with my LCP. That's more than you need with a pocket 'get off me' pistol. The BG trigger is the same way, nice and long which is what you want on this type of pistol.

It's going to boil down to which he likes better. Both are good pistols for the intended purpose. I had both and traded off the BG. Not because I didn't like it, I actually like it quite well. But I had an offer for a trade that I couldn't pas up. And I liked my little pink muddy girl LCP for pocket carry anyway.

Pics of both can be found here as well as discussion on small caliber pistols in general:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105

You'll see the things I've done over the course of that thread. I added a 1.25 inch base plate. It makes it look weird and you'd think it would defeat pocket carry. For me it worked just fine. I pocket carried it at a recent wedding and in dress pants you couldn't tell I was carrying anything. Yet that extended base plate allows me to get all three fingers on the pistol which tames the recoil and makes it easier to shoot. I got the idea from the BG that I had because it had a base plate like that and I started to really like it. So I got one for the LCP.

Either way, both are dandy little pistols.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have a Keltec P3AT since 2005. The thing is so reliable. I thought of getting rid of it a few times, but I couldn't. It does serves a purpose and I can't fault it.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts