Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is wanting a small pistol to carry, when he can't carry his CZ. He likes the thumb safety on my S&W Shield. I seen that the Bodyguard has a thumb safety, but I have never had one. He has been looking at the Ruger this week.
Just want to hear some thoughts on these two guns. What is you likes and dislikes of each model, if you have owned them. I might even look at some other pistols about the same size, but kind of between these two at the moment. They both seem to be pretty easy to find and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you.

·
Giant Member
5,922 Posts
I had a Gen 1 LCP but got rid of it. No complaints, it was a great little gun but a family friend decided it was time for a gun. She needed something cheap, reliable and could handle and it fit the bill.

The plan was to get a newer one but I fell back in love with my 642. I'll probably get another one at some point though.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I have an LCP 2 and the guy I shoot with had the bodyguard. We shot them both at a range session. The bodyguard might have shot a hair better, but they both are almost the same. If I was shopping for a small 380 I'd be just as satisfied with either one.
Considering how small 9mm's are these days, I wouldn't buy another 380. The pocket 9mm's actually recoil less, the ammo is cheaper, and depending on the model have much higher capacities.
I pretty much never carry the LCP anymore.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
For what its worth, Ive seen a metric a** load of broken or nonfunctional bodyguard pistols. That gun seems to have serious problems.

The LCP can be hit or miss as well, but Ruger will usually get it right. I have a very old one that has many thousands of rounds and has never jammed ever. I also had a newer one with a better trigger that was a turd.

Try to standardize on non-safety pistols if you can. The holster is the safety.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have an original LCP. Sent in for recall, diamond stamped. I like the DAO trigger on it. It shoots fine, reliable, decent for what it is.

I carry it with a belt clip tucked in my waistband 3 o’clock when I go running. Wipe it down with a rag with residual oil on it from cleaning when I get back. No issues with rust (but no humidity here either).

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
I had an LCP. friend wanted it,another friend couldn't get his BG 380 to work.
Long story short, I sent the BG to Smith they replaced a bunch of parts works fine after short break in 2 guys happy
I feel that the BG and the LCP are excellent as an EDC... and unless All Hell breaks loose that's fine....40 years of carrying, unholstered one time...for a "perceived" threat.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Had an LCP. Consistent malfunctions(FTE, mag dropping mid shooting, dead trigger, the list goes on). Sent it to Ruger. Came back still crap. Sent it back again. Came back still crap. Sent it back again, got a new one from them, this one had issues as well right out of the box. Used quality ammo.. Fiocchi hollow points, fiocchi fmj, cci fmj, speer fmj, issues with everything and multiple shooters to avoid shooter error.

Felt like cheap crap, performed like cheap crap, last Ruger or any cheap gun I ever buy.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I have a Bodyguard, and while I don't have an LCP, I do have its poor ancestor, the KelTec P3AT.

The Ruger is more refined than the P3AT, and is a smidge larger and heavier. But the Bodyguard is a step up from there in size.

These are not my photos, and I failed to record who posted them to give proper credit, but to me the biggest difference is in the size and weight. Both are 6+1, but one is thinner and lighter. Some love that, but some hate the feel and kick of a smaller gun. I had the P3AT first, and still have it around for ultralight carry days. I got the Bodyguard thinking it would displace it (better gun...), but it never did. In the end, as SpringerTGO noted, the nines got so small that a 938 and 365 pushed these both into the safe, and the Bodyguard hasn't been to the range or carried for quite a while. The P3AT has the advantage of being the smallest, lightest gun I have, so it still fills that role.

Between the two, it is more about what you want than picking a better gun in my book. Both are a step up in quality from my P3AT, and I have held the LCP and II, but given my diminished interest in the tiny guns in .380, never bothered to upgrade. I keep thinking about selling my Bodyguard, but given how little I would get for it, I just keep it around for no good reason...

Since I like my small guns small, I give the nod to the LCP.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Personal protective equipment Musical instrument accessory Gig bag

·
Photojournalist
545 Posts
have two of each. I carry and shoot the LCP II most

Reactions: Biggsly

·
Native Mainiac
26,356 Posts
I have an LCP with serial number starting with 371, so guess it isn't subject to recall. It's functioned fine with ball and a couple types of different hollow point ammo. I don't take it out much anymore since I've pretty much been carrying my S&W Shield 9MM. I wouldn't feel too worried if I had to just carry the little Ruger.
I have never fired a S&W Body Guard, but handled one when I bought the Ruger.

·
20,252 Posts
The G42 loaded with Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP 1200 fps JHP's is the only .380 worth considering. If you have to have a smaller gun, get a P32 Keltec. But if you can possibly accommodate a larger gun, get a 9mm.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I have an LCP 2 and the guy I shoot with had the bodyguard. We shot them both at a range session. The bodyguard might have shot a hair better, but they both are almost the same. If I was shopping for a small 380 I'd be just as satisfied with either one.
Considering how small 9mm's are these days, I wouldn't buy another 380. The pocket 9mm's actually recoil less, the ammo is cheaper, and depending on the model have much higher capacities.
I pretty much never carry the LCP anymore.
The so-called pocket 9s have less recoil because they are bigger and heavier. The LCP is a true pocket gun. How does the lightest and smallest 9mm stack up in height, length, width, and weight? I don’t think 9mm for pocket carry will work for everyone.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The so-called pocket 9s have less recoil because they are bigger and heavier. The LCP is a true pocket gun. How does the lightest and smallest 9mm stack up in height, length, width, and weight? I don’t think 9mm for pocket carry will work for everyone.
Whatever.
Being GlockTalk someone had to post that.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
I had an LCP and was very pleased with it. I shot far better with it than I expected and it was completely reliable.

Then on a range day, I got a malfunction and looked at it only to see the extractor had been blown off the gun, couldn't find it. Ruger gave me a new one.

Right out of the box, the slide was very stiff/high friction and it jammed up completely. They sent me an LC9s, I sold it to the gunshop that received it.

Very disappointed, I really wanted something I could just throw into a pocket holster. Probably just bad luck in my case. Don

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
After shooting one of our son's BG I was impressed with the size and accuracy out of such a small package.

I'm not sold on the .380 caliber but did notice that a few years ago we had a super close range shoot out in a lovers three way that turned out the lights with one to the head and another to the chest. With the current ammo the .380 is better than it had been .....but so is the 9mm and the .40.

My BG has functioned with all types of ammo and I find no flies on it of any kind.

If possible and practicable I would move him up to a Shield 9mm for the added accuracy and ease of shooting.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Had a Gen 1 Ruger LCP. Nice little pistol that I pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Lucky no issues with it but mostly carried ball ammo. Picked up a S&W Model 442 and no longer had the need for the LCP. I'd buy another LCP if the need arose.

Reactions: Biggsly

·
Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,720 Posts
Well if you like S&W, then you will like the Bodyguard and if you like the Ruger, you will pick the LCP II! I bought the LCP II and I love this gun!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Is there a 9mm pistol on the planet that weights less than 60% more than the LCP? That's less than 20% wider than the LCP? I'd love to be corrected, I just don't know of any.
Too idiotic to even discuss. You're comparing a few ounces and fraction of an inch. And a blowback operated 380 vs. typical 9mm lock up.
You're the expert.

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After shooting one of our son's BG I was impressed with the size and accuracy out of such a small package.

I'm not sold on the .380 caliber but did notice that a few years ago we had a super close range shoot out in a lovers three way that turned out the lights with one to the head and another to the chest. With the current ammo the .380 is better than it had been .....but so is the 9mm and the .40.

My BG has functioned with all types of ammo and I find no flies on it of any kind.

If possible and practicable I would move him up to a Shield 9mm for the added accuracy and ease of shooting.
He has shot my Shield several times and I let him carry it a few times. He wants something smaller. I wish he would go with the Shield.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts