Ruger GP100 advice.......

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I got a few wheel guns......an S&W 438 Bodyguard, an S&W 325 Night Guard, and a Ruger SP101 2-Inch.......of all my revolvers, only one will fire .357 Mag.

Of that one .357 Magnum I have, its the snubby SP101. I know I'm not getting the full potential from the round, which is why I've decided to pick up a Ruger GP100 in stainless steel this week. Here's my trouble; I'm debating on the 4-inch or the 6-inch

I like the looks of the 4 inch better, but at the same time the 6-inch costs more. I know I'm getting screwed over in price, but none of the distributors I've checked with at my gun shops that usually give me great prices, have any GP100s in stainless.....Its like they've dried up. I've been able to find a 4 inch stainless GP100 for $600 plus tax, and I've been able to find a 6-inch stainless for $620 plus tax at my local BassPro.

The gun will be a general purpose weapon/range toy, and possibly CCW during winter months, and possibly a trail gun if I go hiking. I don't like the front heaviness of the 6-inch, but at the same time, I'm liking the idea of full power. Just how much power would I be losing if I decided to go with the 4 inch GP100? Is the loss of a few hundred FPS worth it to have a more versatile weapon, I.E. the 4-inch?

I considered a Smith, but I love the way my Ruger SP101 feels like a tank, and if I'm gonna shoot .357 Mags from it, I'm shooting the hottest, most loud, obnoxious load I can find. :supergrin:

2. JK-linux

JK-linux

I prefer 4", others prefer 6". I'm not a good enough shot that 2" of barrel will make any difference. Further, I don't handgun hunt, I no scope mounts for me i.e. no 6" needed. I'm pretty sure a .357 shot from a 4" barrel will twist up whatever you hit about as well as the same round fired from a 6" barrel. I'd go for the 4" myself. I have a 3" .357 SP-101 as I find the 4" GP-100 a bit much to hide well on my person. For the woods, it's a 5" 10mm S&W 1006.

3. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

4. Airborne Infantryman

Thanks for the input; that's what I was thinking. I can hide a 4-inch GP100 up here at Fort Campbell during the winter with no problem. The weather is NUTS here. :rofl:

I don't see myself going handgun hunting either.....I wonder how much velocity and FT/LBS of energy I loose if I go the 4-inch route?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yea, I'm gonna have to say that the 4-inch looks sweet....the 6-inch looks like a musket or something......lol.

5. roy hobbs

roy hobbs Infidel

My son has a GP100 in 3", I have a GP100 in 6". If I had it to do over again, I would get both in 4".

We had a SW686 in 4". It was junk, but 4" was a great length in 357.

The 6" is a hand cannon w/ a full power load.

6. Airborne Infantryman

Ah, yes! The Smith 686 was what I was looking at. It was a 4-inch, but at $760, I asked myself what the Smith had that the Ruger didn't, which seemed to me, nothing. From what I understand, the Rugers are just a little bit tougher than the Smith and Wessons. I think I'll go with the versatility that the 4-inch barrel gives me. If something happens, and they sell the 4 inch, I'll go with the 6-inch. I really want a GP-100, and don't see myself disappointed either way. I'm gonna probably call tomorrow and put it on Layaway just to lock in in until I pick it up Thursday or Friday.

7. TheLastBoyscout

TheLastBoyscout

You will lose about 80-115 fps with the shorter barrel. Not enough to make a difference to anything you decide to shoot.

8. TheLastBoyscout

TheLastBoyscout

What does the Smith have that the Ruger does not have ??
    2 things:
    #1 Better trigger.
    #2 Resale value.

9. carbofan21

carbofan21

not to take anything away from a very good revolver, but $600 for a gp100 is way too much money

10. JK-linux

JK-linux

#1 Get a trigger job - $100
    #2 Don't sell it

:)

11. CTM_357

CTM_357 first gen. g17

Another vote for the 4"

12. Airborne Infantryman

Yes, it definitely is. At the same time, none of the gun stores that give me the good prices actually have them at their distributors. On the brightside, I think I can talk the store with the 4-inch stainless GP100 down to $535 plus tax......as for selling it, I don't plan on it. The way I have my arsenal now, I've weeded out the guns I didn't like, and in effect, traded or sold them off. The guns I got now, are the ones I'm keeping. The GP100 will be no exception. :supergrin:

I've always wanted a "handcannon" .357 Magnum. :supergrin:

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

4in is better balanced than the 6 in my opinion
    A 4in GP100 was my first handgun,I miss it:crying:
    Bombproof trail gun

14. hoffy

hoffy

A 4 inch will be much more amenable to carry than a 6, and holster selection will be greater four the four. A 6 is little more forgiving accuracy wise due to sight radius, but if you are a good shot, it is nearly negligible . The Ruger is tough as nails, but the Smith might have a better single action trigger, not insurmountable. Smiths , especially the L frame are much tougher than they used to be and have a lifetime warranty, but the Rugers are tougher IMO. The Ruger has a modular trigger that drops out and is easy to clean and lube, so you can grease the sear easily. Taking the side plate on a Smith is not hard, (you tap the grip fame till it works out, pry it, you have bent it, seen it dozens of times when I worked at a gun shop ). The Smith will hold its value better most likely, but it costs. I lucked out and got a Smith 627 8 shot 5 inch for 600$ a few years ago, 5 inch is ideal I think. I also have an old Mod 27 with a 3 1/2" (the old FBI model) Soo, I would go with the 4 since you said you didn't like the muzzle heavy 6. Like I said you aren't going to loose that much velocity, the old rule of thumb is -50 fps per inch handguns, -100fps per inch for rifles. If you go Ruger, don't rush out to get a trigger job, it will smooth out some with use(dry fire , with snap caps if you are worried about the pin).:whistling:

15. bac1023

bac1023

I'll take a 686 over a GP100 any day.

I have both.

16. Just1More

Just1More

Get a Taurus Raging Bull. Better value for the money.

17. roy hobbs

roy hobbs Infidel

If you like your sp101, you will love the GP100.

18. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

$600 is outrageous for a GP100.

19. Chainlink

Chainlink

I have the both and love them for different reasons and would love a the 3" because I have yet to ever see one in person. I think the 6" looks better but for home duty the 4" makes more sense.

20. fowler

fowler

Going rate about 500-550