Ruger Customer Service........

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by F_G, Jan 28, 2013.

1. F_G

F_G

.........is top notch.

I purchased a Ruger SR22 about a year ago and the first 1,200 rounds were pretty much trouble free with an interesting little issue that would show itself once every few hundred rounds. The malfunction was the trigger would go dead as if the magazine disconnect had been activated. I don't carry this pistol for serious duty so I put it off to me not letting the trigger fully reset or something.

2 weekends ago my son and I were out shooting and the pistol started exhibiting this problem 2 or 3 times every magazine. The trigger would go dead and you would have to cycle the slide to get it to reset.

I called Ruger C/S on that next Monday and spoke with a lovely young lady named Victoria. I explained the problem and she immediately said it sounded Magazine related. I agreed with her, but told her it happened with all 3 magazines I had. She immediately issued me an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) and I shipped it off on Tuesday. The doorbell just rang and the nice UPS guy handed me my pistol. The Packing Slip states they replaced; Trigger Bar, 3-10 round magazines, Magazine Disconnect Spring, Right Frame Insert. Also a nice Ruger embossed cleaning cloth with statement, "Please accept the complimentary Ruger cleaning cloth as our way of saying Thank You for your support of Ruger Firearms".

Back and repaired in less than 2 weeks, that's pretty darn good customer service if you ask me.

2. DonD

DonD

Not surprised at all. Complaints get aired much more frequently than do compliments.

I'd guess for every instance of poor customer service there are 50-100 cases of excellent service. No company is perfect but Ruger takes care of its customers. Don

3. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

That's great! I'm a fan of Ruger as a company.

4. F_G

F_G

I couldn't agree more. After hearing how awesome the SR22 was, I was a little surprised we were having issues. No company or product is perfect, but they can keep me as a customer by how they handle their problems. In this instance Ruger was top notch.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Imagine if the pistol didn't have the mag safety in the first place. My sr22 is good thus far but accuracy had been lackluster and it wasn't just me shooting it. Oh we'll, it was a cheap plunked.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have had to send my various wheelguns back throughout the year for repair and the service was always quick n cordial. I must say that I would rather not have to send them back at all. Ruger quality control sucks but customer service I'd top notch. No fuss no muss unlike SW and Colt.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. ctfireman

ctfireman

I was rippin pissed when my brand new alaskan .454 slipped right out of the rubber grip & onto the floor the day i got it due to its lack of a grip screw. There i was with just the grip in my hand & my blood pressure sky high. They were nice enough to overnight the screw.

8. F_G

F_G

The very reason I will never carry a pistol for personal protection that has a magazine disconnect. A .22 plinker, no big deal. The thing I like about the SR22 is the small grip size, my 7 year old grandson can actually shoot it.

Surprised at the accuracy issue you mentioned, mine cuts a ragged hole at 25 yards if I do my part.

I didn't know Ruger was having QC issues, but then again, before this SR22 my last new Ruger was over 25 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Ruger is a good company.

10. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Ruger is running wide open to fill more than 1 million guns orders already placed. Ruger's QC is fair given the # of guns produced. I cannot think of many mass-produced guns by any maker that are not seeing various issues. Ruger has always been great to me and I own a number of their products.

11. Benello

Benello

Ruger's CS is second to none in my book. They are GTG!

12. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

I like ruger and have a few of their firearms, but they flat out pissed me off on my SR1911. The frame rails were pitted and gouged up. I was under the impression I'd get a new frame, from the email I received. Turns out they just buffed my frame rails. I'll never buy a cast 1911 frame again.

I got the yellow cleaning cloth too :cheers:

13. F_G

F_G

Companies have problems, you can strive for perfection, but it's a difficult mark to hit. I'm more interested in how they deal with issues, and in my opinion Ruger nailed it.

I have an older Bisley Blackhawk in .44mag that has been 100%. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is now 42 years old (actually has a metal butt plate and trigger guard) and I have no idea how many bazillion rounds that thing has through it, never a problem. And I just realized I lied in my original post as I did buy a Ruger LCR a couple of years ago and not 25 years as I had stated, and I love that gun. My only other Ruger is a Red Label 20 gauge shotgun with a gazillion rounds through it. The stock cracked right behind the tang a few years ago, I called Ruger for a replacement and they offered to replace it for free. Unfortunately, the new wood was nowhere near as nice so I had a guy in Chino Valley repair it. Can't tell it was ever cracked. The impressive part was Ruger offering to replace it after 30 years!!!

Unfortunately I will never own any of their semi auto pistols (besides the .22) as I just don't like or trust magazine disconnects.

14. SigFTW

SigFTW

Ruger sets the standards on customer standards.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Ruger has always had exceptional CS.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Ruger's fit and finish are mediocre. Always have been and seems like always will be.

My wheelguns have come back for scope mount scallopes not cut right (SuperRedhawk no. 1), cylinder charge holes were undersized (SuperRedhawk no. 2, SuperBlackhawk no. 1 & no. 2, Vaquero), GP100's trigger didn't want to return to forward position. Knock on wood, my 22/45 MkII and 22/45 MkIII hadn't needed any corrections. Actually, my 22/45 MkII's adjustable rear sight horizontal pin that holds the rear sight to the rear sight mount vibrates out while shooting, as is the trigger pivot pin. I have to tap them back in every few magazines or so. It's minor and doesn't affect the safety or performance so I just left it be.

Rugers make good guns for good prices, but their QAQC had always been blah. Maybe that's why they have such good customer services - don't want to piss off owners who are already pissed off.

17. F_G

F_G

I completely agree on their new stuff. However, my Red Label has some beautiful wood and the wood to metal fit is very good. Same with my Bisley, really nice walnut stocks and fit and finish almost perfect, of course both these guns are over 25 years old. I think they make a good product at their price point.

18. F_G

F_G

Finally got the repaired SR22 out on Sunday. I'm happy to report 400 trouble free rounds. Whatever they did fixed the issue. Thanks again Ruger.