GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ruger has now bought Marlin so what do they get. Marlin has/had a nice little .22 semi rifle but then so does Ruger. Marlin has/had some nice lever action rifles, so other than these what does Ruger get out of the deal?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ruger gets a .22 rifle that has a good reputation and does not use a detachable box mag (i.e. avoids potential bans that could hit the 10/22) as well as established lever action rifles (also avoids potential bans on MSR's) and a name with real history behind it.

All in all, I think Ruger made the right move.

Grumpy

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
A very good platform and name ( before Remington ) . Model 60’s are just if not more popular than the 10-22 . I like it better . We will just have to see if Ruger can make a lever action Marlin good enough and in a price range that people will buy it . I would love to see them bring back the 39 Mountie in a Henry price range .

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Ruger will take over the lever market and probably do away with any mag fed Marlin 22 rifles.
The big sellers like the 336, 1894, 1895 and such will be offered without significant changes. The new offerings will be interesting. Ruger can be a bit unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I own and manage two businesses. One thing that is being overlooked is that Ruger stopped a competitor from getting the Marlin brand. There are two ways to kill competition; beat them in the marketplace or buy them. This assures Ruger won't face a tried and true design of a tubular fed .22 or bolt actions to compete with their current lines. If a competitor had purchased Marlin they could enter these markets at low cost because the designs are already proven.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ok so Ruger has now bought Marlin so what do they get. Marlin has/had a nice little .22 semi rifle but then so does Ruger. Marlin has/had some nice lever action rifles, so other than these what does Ruger get out of the deal?
If they handle it right, Ruger gets the business of people who like nice lever actions but don't like 80% kits with serial numbers at full MSRP.

·
A swamp dude
11,131 Posts
They get the brand recognition and time-proven lever gun designs. Restoring quality control to Marlin rifle production will put them immediately into a market with good demand. Being able to say ‘Made In America’ will always be important to many of us.

Some say future Democrat restrictions on auto-load rifles will make lever action rifles very desirable. That might figure into Ruger’s thinking.

·
Registered
295 Posts
They purchased intellectual property — patents and trademarks that will allow them to grow a very lucrative business even further with name recognition and new products.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
With AWB coming lever actions can have a surge, but Marlin quality has been behind reasonable standards for quite a while

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I think Ruger would be smart to keep all the Marlins that were selling well before Remington attacked. Get the quality back up and let them run as their own brand without advertising a Ruger connection. Then watch the profits roll in.

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
I have a Mossberg lever .22 that is a real nice rifle, but I would dearly love a M39A! I don't need it for anything but I WANT!

Reactions: 45caldan

·
Native Mainiac
21,802 Posts

·
17,939 Posts
Some people like the Marlin model 60 and they are very accurate and have a nicer trigger than the 10-22 but they aren't as durable. I used to work for gunsmith who sold guns and I did counter sales and checked in guns to be repaired.

We had a number of model 60's come in and the gunsmith I worked for didn't think much of them.

But Ruger now has the rights to all Marlin designs and the one 22 caliber rifle I'd like to see them start making again is the Model 39 Lever action. Those rifles have internal parts that are thicker than they need to be possibly because they were designed at a time when steels were not as good as they are today.

But whatever the reason they were made to last forever and they are beautiful guns. I'd also like to see them bring back the model 1894 pistol caliber carbines in 357, 41, and 44 mag, and also in some of the discontinued calibers such as 32-20, 218 Bee, 22 Magnum, and 25-20 Winchester. A 41 magnum model 1894 was one of the most accurate lever actions I've ever shot. More so than the Marlin 357 and 44 mag rifles that I've both owned and shot

I'd alos like to see them produce the 1895's in 45-70 and 444 Marlin long with the model 336 i n 35 remington and 30-30 and I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back the Model 57 "Levermatic" in 30 carbine, 218 bee, and 357 mag.

And the 336 could also be chambered in the new 350 Legend which is the ballistic twin of the 35 Remington, one of the best deer rifle cartridges there ever was. superior to even the great 30-30 and probably the best all-around straight wall cartridges other than the 444 and the 45-70.

It's a rimless cartridge but I'm sure it could be made to work in the model 336.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts