Ruger Blackhawk Standard vs. Bisley

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by rainman33, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rainman33

rainman33

Hi Gents,
    I have to admit to never being a revolver fan. I had a GP100, and quite frankly, I thought it too big and heavy for 6 rounds of 357 Magnum. Very cool gun. Very cool cartridge. It just didn't come together for me.
    Anyway, I've always thought that of I were to get another revolver it would be for fun and nostalgic purposes. So, to that end, I'm looking at a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Can someone tell me the difference in the Standard vs Bisley? I can see the differences, but don't understand why. For instance, grip and hammer are clearly different, but why? 0465.jpg 0407.jpg
    Thanks

2. mattallamerican

mattallamerican

I have both in 44 mag the bisley is more controllable

Rellik and happie2shoot like this.

3. rainman33

rainman33

Is that due to the grip geometry? I was wondering exactly why they would be different?

4. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

Bisley is cooler. Hammer easier to cock one handed. I think all single actions should come with the Bisley hammer.

happie2shoot likes this.
  5. rainman33

rainman33

I agree, but that's pretty much just based on looks.

6. mattallamerican

mattallamerican

more grip to get your hand on

7. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

Its not just looks. The hammer IS easier to cock one-handed, by design.

happie2shoot likes this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If you want fun and nostalgic, why are you looking at a Blackhawk? I never saw the point in buying a single action revolver that looks like some cross between a real one and a modern double action. John Wesley Hardin didn't have adjustable sights. Fun and nostalgic is more like a Vaquero and a Uberti is both cheaper and more authentic. Both come in .45 Colt and the Uberti, really being a copy of a Colt, will fit the average western style holster.

Also, if I'm buying a cowboy gun for the looks, I want it to look like what was both common and used in all the western movies, and that's not the Bisley. Last one of these I bought was under $400, comes in .357 Magnum and .45 Colt:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  9. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

It totally depends on the size and shape of your hands.
    Just like some people have no problem griping and shooting a J frame Smith.
    I have Large Slim Hands. There is just not enough grip for me to hold to shoot the Ruger. The Bisley is larger and at a better angle for me. I don't think I could enjoy shooting a Magnum Round from a standard single action.

Stevekozak likes this.
  10. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

The Colt Single Action Army Bisley was designed for formal target shooting way back. The grip is supposed to give a better angle for one handed shooting. The hammer is lower for easier cocking. The trigger is wider. Special Target sights were an available option. The target sighted versions had a flat top frame.

When Ruger came out with a Bisley model, it was found that some people felt much less recoil with that grip than the standard ones with Magnum cartridges.

Had a 5.5" Ruger Flat Top in 44 Special, standard grip. With Elmer's load, it hit my middle finger hard. A friend has the Bisley Flat Top in 44 Special. When I shot Elmer's load in it, the recoil was much milder. I was surprised and the next Magnum single action I get will have the Bisley grip.

For the 357 Magnum Blackhawk, recoil is not a problem with the standard grip.

Stevekozak likes this.
  11. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

thank you. Finely the correct answer. ;-)

Filhar likes this.
  12. rainman33

rainman33

Good info, guys. Thanks for the replies.
    I think what I'm hearing is buy both....but start with the Bisley.
    Also, for Bren, I have a soft spot for Ruger's anyway, and I don't need an exact copy. In fact I like a little old with new styling.

13. Pythonman

Pythonman

I bought a Ruger Redhawk 41 Magnum snub last year. I shot 2 boxes of potent 210 gr loads through it and it tore my shooting hand all to heck. And it wasn’t very accurate. So I sold it and bought a Blackhawk 41 mag with a 4 5/8” barrel, which is a lighter revolver and it shoots like a laser beam and is much less punishing to shoot than the Redhawk was.
    Now I have a 480 Ruger SBH Bisley with a 6 1/2” on the way. Really looking forward to my first giant bore Bisley!

ironhead7544 likes this.
  14. Filhar

Filhar

View attachment 699882

And I shoot the birdshead better. this is a Pietta, copy of a 2nd gen Colt. This one has Turnbull case hardening.