Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,
I have to admit to never being a revolver fan. I had a GP100, and quite frankly, I thought it too big and heavy for 6 rounds of 357 Magnum. Very cool gun. Very cool cartridge. It just didn't come together for me.
Anyway, I've always thought that of I were to get another revolver it would be for fun and nostalgic purposes. So, to that end, I'm looking at a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Can someone tell me the difference in the Standard vs Bisley? I can see the differences, but don't understand why. For instance, grip and hammer are clearly different, but why?
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Ranged weapon
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Ranged weapon

Thanks

·
NRA Life Member
68,962 Posts
Hi Gents,
I have to admit to never being a revolver fan. I had a GP100, and quite frankly, I thought it too big and heavy for 6 rounds of 357 Magnum. Very cool gun. Very cool cartridge. It just didn't come together for me.
Anyway, I've always thought that of I were to get another revolver it would be for fun and nostalgic purposes. So, to that end, I'm looking at a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Can someone tell me the difference in the Standard vs Bisley? I can see the differences, but don't understand why. For instance, grip and hammer are clearly different, but why? View attachment 390747 View attachment 390748
Thanks
If you want fun and nostalgic, why are you looking at a Blackhawk? I never saw the point in buying a single action revolver that looks like some cross between a real one and a modern double action. John Wesley Hardin didn't have adjustable sights. Fun and nostalgic is more like a Vaquero and a Uberti is both cheaper and more authentic. Both come in .45 Colt and the Uberti, really being a copy of a Colt, will fit the average western style holster.

Also, if I'm buying a cowboy gun for the looks, I want it to look like what was both common and used in all the western movies, and that's not the Bisley. Last one of these I bought was under $400, comes in .357 Magnum and .45 Colt:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
It totally depends on the size and shape of your hands.
Just like some people have no problem griping and shooting a J frame Smith.
I have Large Slim Hands. There is just not enough grip for me to hold to shoot the Ruger. The Bisley is larger and at a better angle for me. I don't think I could enjoy shooting a Magnum Round from a standard single action.

Reactions: Stevekozak

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The Colt Single Action Army Bisley was designed for formal target shooting way back. The grip is supposed to give a better angle for one handed shooting. The hammer is lower for easier cocking. The trigger is wider. Special Target sights were an available option. The target sighted versions had a flat top frame.

When Ruger came out with a Bisley model, it was found that some people felt much less recoil with that grip than the standard ones with Magnum cartridges.

Had a 5.5" Ruger Flat Top in 44 Special, standard grip. With Elmer's load, it hit my middle finger hard. A friend has the Bisley Flat Top in 44 Special. When I shot Elmer's load in it, the recoil was much milder. I was surprised and the next Magnum single action I get will have the Bisley grip.

For the 357 Magnum Blackhawk, recoil is not a problem with the standard grip.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
The Colt Single Action Army Bisley was designed for formal target shooting way back. The grip is supposed to give a better angle for one handed shooting. The hammer is lower for easier cocking. The trigger is wider. Special Target sights were an available option. The target sighted versions had a flat top frame.

When Ruger came out with a Bisley model, it was found that some people felt much less recoil with that grip than the standard ones with Magnum cartridges.

Had a 5.5" Ruger Flat Top in 44 Special, standard grip. With Elmer's load, it hit my middle finger hard. A friend has the Bisley Flat Top in 44 Special. When I shot Elmer's load in it, the recoil was much milder. I was surprised and the next Magnum single action I get will have the Bisley grip.

For the 357 Magnum Blackhawk, recoil is not a problem with the standard grip.
thank you. Finely the correct answer. ;-)

Reactions: Filhar

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info, guys. Thanks for the replies.
I think what I'm hearing is buy both....but start with the Bisley.
Also, for Bren, I have a soft spot for Ruger's anyway, and I don't need an exact copy. In fact I like a little old with new styling.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I bought a Ruger Redhawk 41 Magnum snub last year. I shot 2 boxes of potent 210 gr loads through it and it tore my shooting hand all to heck. And it wasn’t very accurate. So I sold it and bought a Blackhawk 41 mag with a 4 5/8” barrel, which is a lighter revolver and it shoots like a laser beam and is much less punishing to shoot than the Redhawk was.
Now I have a 480 Ruger SBH Bisley with a 6 1/2” on the way. Really looking forward to my first giant bore Bisley!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.