Ruger Blackhawk question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gruntmedik, Jan 15, 2017.

1. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

I've all but decided that my next handgun is going to be a 38/357 Blackhawk, just not sure on the barrel length. I really want the convertible with the 9mm cylinder, but I have a question.

I know the projectile diameter for 9mm is .355, and the 38/357 is .357, but what is the bore diameter on the Blackhawk, and is it different on the convertible models? I would think not, as it would seem logistically more difficult for Ruger to have 2 different barrels.

Anyone here have both? Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between the 2 cylinders on the convertibles? I know I'm probably overthinking it, but figured I'd ask those that know.

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

The bore diameter is for the .38/.357 and 9mm will not be as accuate in most cases. I don't own one but a shooting buddy did, his was functionally accurate with 9mm ammo, more suited to plinking, which we did a lot of back then.

It is more about having a gun that can use 9mm if need be than having top performance with it.

gruntmedik likes this.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I find that nearly all "conversions" be it Ruger or even a Glock .357/.40 are compromises between accuracy and reliability. Although its financially reasonable to consider a conversion, I've always gone for a dedicated model is I can make it work in the budget (ex: I have a G-23 and G-32 as opposed to a conversion bbl). That said I don't have first-hand experience with the Blackhawk conversion (although the Blackhawk IS one of the finest revolvers currently in production IMO) I just always assume there is a short-end-of-the-stick somewhere when it comes to conversions.

4. dbuck47

dbuck47

I think this is the best answer.

As to barrel length, I have always liked the looks of the 4 5/8, but the 5 1/2 is a better compromise of performance and portability. The .357 starts to get its legs in 5 inch and longer barrels.

5. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I had the .357/9mm several years ago. As noted the 9mm suffered from being a bit small for the bore. It was not bad, it was just not great. I find the 4 5/8 looks better to my eye, but for velocity I would go with the 5 1/2. The blued gun looks better to me than the stainless. If it is just a fun gun, get the 4.62 as it carries easier.

6. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

In my experience with a 7.5” convertible, .38/.357 was approximately 3” at 25 yards whereas the 9mm cylinder opened up to 4.5-5” at the same range. Now this was back in ’91 when I was just learning to shoot handguns, so the pistol itself was probably much more accurate than the triggerman.

I traded that revolver away a long time ago and have been giving a little thought now and then to replacing it. If I were to do so, I’d look for one of the Lipsey’s special 5.5” flattop convertible as the blued model has a steel frame versus the alloy the standard model has and it balances much better in my hand.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This is crazy but I have a 9mm/.38/.357 Blackhawk Convertible BUT I never shot .38/357 through it. Only 9mm. So I can't tell whether or not there's a big difference in accuracy. The 9mm accuracy was OK and nothing to rave about.