Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a Nikon 2.5x8x28mm Encore EER BDC and a Leupold FXII 2x20mm for my Ruger Bisley Hunter 44 mag. Any advise or comments would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Before you spend money on a handgun scope, see if you can shoot a wheelgun equipped with scope then see if you like it. I had a Redfield 2X back in the days that I bought for my Ruger SuperRedhawk. After two outings, I said the hell with it and went back to iron sight.

I know that's not what you asked, but I thought that I'd warn you anyway just in case you haven't shot a scoped handgun yet.

However, between those two I'd go with Leopold just because I'm partial to Leupold. Nikon makes some great optics for the money though.

·
NRA Life Member
67,821 Posts
I have only handgun-hunted with iron sights, but with a .44 even long shots are easy, so try it before you buy a scope. To me a scope takes the whole point out of hunting with a handgun.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've had a Bushnell 2-6x scope on my Ruger SRH for many years. Sighted dead on at 100yds.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My 45colt SBH has a 4x luepold scope on. Scoped for 100yards, but all kills so far are as a comfortable 40yards or less.

Scopes helps with seeing the target and a little weight, mellows out my serious 45colt colt-tc only loads.

fwiw, my Redhawk (45clt) sports a Weaver classic 2x.

same thing on my ruger 22lr

I say ; go for it ;)

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
A scope on a 44 mag works at least here in Wyoming. Two thing to remember:

1) You don't need a lot of magnification to hunt big game but it is nice to test loads at the bench. I have had good luck with variables, 1X-4X and 2X-6X.

2) Ruger scope mount can be removed and installed as needed for conditions. You could buy extra rings for different scopes.

I have a Ruger Bisley Hunter. I have not hunted big game with it but I bought it because I use to own a Ruger Redhawk. What I didn't like about the Redhawk was the trigger design. It took a lot of work to get it down to 4.5 pounds single action. It had a decent double action pull but you are not going to shoot a big game with double action scope handgun. The Ruger Bisley Hunter is easy to do a trigger job. I think you will like it with either scope you have narrowed down too.

Noway, I like your Ruger 22 auto. I have a set up like that with left hand grips and use it with scope to hunt small game and varmints and iron sights to plink.

·
Bird Catcher
2,762 Posts
I have a Leupold 2X on my .480Ruger and it works great. American made, lifetime warranty, what else do you need? :supergrin:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up purchasing the Leupold 2X. Will hunt the set up this weekend. Thanks for the comments on "which scope".

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 45colt SBH has a 4x luepold scope on. Scoped for 100yards, but all kills so far are as a comfortable 40yards or less.

Scopes helps with seeing the target and a little weight, mellows out my serious 45colt colt-tc only loads.

fwiw, my Redhawk (45clt) sports a Weaver classic 2x.

same thing on my ruger 22lr

I say ; go for it ;)
Where did you get those grips for the single action. I've been looking for someone who makes that style for a long time, for my Bisley,

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i got a 2x weaver. used to ride on a 41 contender

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'm trying to decide between a Nikon 2.5x8x28mm Encore EER BDC and a Leupold FXII 2x20mm for my Ruger Bisley Hunter 44 mag. Any advise or comments would be much appreciated.

I should depend on how far you think you can make a quality shot on game the way you plan on using a revolver . I was mostly a walk and stalk hunter carried a tall shooting stick with me - tree branch about 1.5" to 1" where the branch split for a Y shape at the top worked well with a handgun or rifle . Worked nicely for dispatching or just moving snakes too . I had a 2-7 LER scope on a DW revolver I hunted with . What I found as a walk and stalk hunter it was hard to control a near perfect view thru the reticle even on 2 power . A dot optic can flat around on the lens but be on the aim point of your game with you pull the trigger and your good to go . Not a badly places bullet or miss a scope can cause do to sight picture control . Now in a Box stand where you can get a rather solid hold your good to go at higher power sightings at longer distances . I moved my scope to a XP-100 7mm BR a few years later for stand hunting and some years later a Lone Eagle single shot 308 handgun. . Today it sits in my safe unused as both single shots are gone .

I ended up mounting an early 2moa red dot on my DW revolver in 1980 and shooting from a rest 4" 6 shot groups can be normal at 100 yards . I sold me DW 44 7 years back and put the scope base on my DW 15-2 now wears a 2moa ultra dot on my old beulher scope mount and I'm only good for 6" groups today but my grandson is good for 4" groups again at 100 yards . That has always been my zero yardage . Ultra dots have proven to be reliable on the hardest recoiling handguns too .

Weigand makes mounts for optic with a base for a rail mount and rugers rings for other tube type options , scope or Ultra dot.

Your choice depends on your ability .
stock photo-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts