Ruger ar 556 malfunction

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bocephus549, May 24, 2020.

1. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Bought the Ruger and fired it for the first time yesterday. Firstmag .223 had 3 malfunctions. Easily cleared no problem. Second mag also .223, first round chambered and the bolt locked forward. Had to mortar it to clear the round. After being cleared emptied all 30 rounds with no malfunction.

Tried all three three magpul mags fully loaded. Chambered a round, removed the mag then tried to clear the live round. Bolt stuck in-forward position the charging handle won’t move it at all. Only way to clear the live round is using the mortar technique to unlock the bolt.

All this was done straight out of the box, no cleaning, no extra lube etc. Do you think this may a serious problem or just a break in issue. I’m new to the AR platform so any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bo

2. dkf

dkf

All the same ammo? If it was all the same ammo I'd try a different brand, preferably 5.56. Get a bronze chamber brush and some solvent and scrub the chamber. Lube it well with some kind of gun oil. Then shoot it. If it still malfunctions after that I would contact Ruger and then let them deal with it on their dime from there. Unless you want a project. A new AR should not give you these problems. I have never had an AR need a break in period to function.

3. bocephus549

4. rock_castle

rock_castle Proud Nationalist who loves his country

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'd perform a field strip, then check the chamber for any abnormality (like rust, rough machining, etc.). If the chamber looks good then I'd use a generous amount of CLP spray on the bolt/bolt carrier, reassemble it (known as running the rifle "wet"), and fire it for a good 100 rounds or so with some quality brass cased 5.56x45 ammunition (Federal/Lake City XM193, XM855, etc.), which should, barring any mechanical or fitment problems, help the barrel extension/bolt lugs/bolt cam pin/bolt carrier to all break in nicely together. Then field strip it again, clean, and relubricate the rifle sparingly with whichever type lubricants you would normally use.

If the above doesn't remedy the problem then I wouldn't hesitate to give Ruger a call:

1 (336) 949-5200

Best wishes for a simple solution and a happy outcome :D

GlockFan7 likes this.
  6. bocephus549

Just tried America Eagle .556 with the same result. It only takes a light tap on the butt stock to free the bolt. Charging handle won’t budge it.

7. Bradley T

Bradley T

When you buy a new AR, it is probably a good idea to swab the barrel out (you don't know what was left in there.) Get some LSA and lube the bolt carrier group, charge handle and in side that race up in the top of the receiver- and also a little on the "teeth" on the bolt. Some places in an AR definitely do need some oil.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    PatinAz and BigBull 301 like this.
  8. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Some good suggestions here. I second what DrewBone had to say. Ruger was my first AR and American Eagle in .223 and 5.56 is all I've ever run in it. I keep it lubed with either Breakfree-CLP or Eezox. I've had no issues with mine at all.

9. Tbags

Tbags

As mentioned it is recommended to clean it prior to using it, including using a chamber brush to the chamber. The oil the bcg well except the face bolt and try again.

Looking for issues in the chamber isn't a bad idea after the cleaning.

BigBull 301 likes this.
  10. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Clean and lube it properly before shooting it again. It ain't broke until you try to use it properly and it doesn't work.

BigBull 301 and fjrdc like this.
  11. The Father

The Father

This and the chamber brush. My chamber brush I put on a drill and at slowwwwwww speed I brush it up.

dla, Current Resident and pgg00 like this.
  12. pgg00

pgg00

May need to be broken in some. Clean and lube properly.

An example. My old agency purchased brand new Colts. Every single one was a single shot to start. Fire one, break it open, put a rod down the barrel and knock out the casing and repeat. Wasn't until each gun had close to 500 rounds that it would get through a full mag. Colt told us it was normal. This was back in 2001ish time.

13. fjrdc

fjrdc

Run It Wet , BCG dripping ,at least for the first 500 rounds

14. The Father

The Father

Run it like sloppy seconds

15. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Ever think of cleaning it and putting oil on the bolt and action ? Are you new to the ar or never seen or shot a gun before ?? Seems anyone with any gun experience would try to clean and put lube on a new gun.

dla and PattonWasRight like this.
  16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Always clean and lube before shooting.
    Often the factory lube/preservative will dry and gum up, thus causing issues.

17. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I just sent a Springfield Saint AR pistol back to Springfield for the exact same issue. Absent some serious gunk in the chamber, a gun that will not allow the user to extract a live round from the chamber using the charging handle and a reasonable amount of pressure is dangerous and unacceptable. In my case, I was using ammo that had been run through a case gauge to ensure that it was within SAAMI spec. I also had used an overall length gauge to be sure that the bullet was not jamming on the lands. It should not make any difference at all whether the bolt is wet or not.

bocephus549 likes this.
  18. bocephus549

Sent it back to Ruger today. Let them deal with it. Let me be clear. Every round chambered could not be ejected using the charging handle no matter how much pressure was used. Had to use the mortar technique to eject the round. Not a cleaning issue that some have mentioned.

dkf likes this.
  19. B C

B C

Weird. Definitely out of spec. I've heard of that happening with steel cased ammo in the Ruger, but not brass. Hopefully, Ruger sorts it out for you quickly.

20. illrooster132

illrooster132

I dont know jack , but had experience the same problem with new AR, clean it and lube the bolt. I seen it 4 times in different rifles. same solution.