GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Free Full Clip!
17,090 Posts
Gold Dot in 5.7? Interesting.
Only problem is that it's 50 bucks for a box of 50 and the ballistics of the 5.7 out of a pistol barrel are only about 1550 fps/216 fpe. The muzzle velocities that I quoted earlier of 2300 with a 32 grain bullet and 2100 with a 40 grain bullet were listed as pistol velocities but were in fact rifle velocities.

The 22 TCM produces higher velocities out of a 5 inch barrel than does the 5.7 but the advantage to the 5.7 is that the smaller diameter of the 5.7 case allows for greater magazine capacity.

My opinion is that the 9mm is a better defensive round with 17+1 rounds of 124 grain HST's in a G17 or G45 and is easy to control and the guns themselves are simple to operate ande recoil is not an issue and the 9mm most likely has less muzzle blast.

But just for fun purposes, this new Ruger is a great gun at a much more affordable price than the FN Five-seveN and if it proves to be popular, ammo prices will come down as the ammo begins to be produced in greater volume.

Here's a good article comparing the 5.7 when fired out of a pistol to the 22 Rimfire magnum and the 9mm Luger. The only thing that invalidates the comparison between the 22 mag and the 5.7 is the barrel length of the test pistols with the 22 magnum having a longer 6.5 inch barrel.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/5-7x28_cop_killer.htm

·
Good looking deplorable
7,121 Posts
I had my heart set on the FN when it came out. I had a chance to shoot one and could not get a feel for the grip. I decided it was too much money for something I did not like the feel of.
I will be looking into the Ruger for sure.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'd rather see it in .22 TCM. Much easier to locate the components for reloading. But we'll see how this one works out. I hope it won't be a dud.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,623 Posts
Well, regarding Ruger’s 5.7, this thread has me doing a bit of a double take.

Way back when, the .327 Mag was supposed to be all that and a bag of chips as well, and I did hang in there for quite a while with it, but the downsides just wouldn’t go away.

Muzzle blast was insane. You could use my gun as an AED if anyone needed a heart restarted.

Popularity never came on with enough volume to reduce ammo cost, making it a reload only type cartridge. Finding a box of the super hot American Eagle 115 grain stuff was like finding Sasquatch.

The nice part was that at least I could recover my brass pretty easily. This could be another 2 hour range time experience. One hour shooting, and one hour finding your brass.

If it was one of those finely crafted pieces, it would be one thing. But the closer I look, the more I see just another plastic gun.

I believe I’ll just watch and wait......

·
Registered
503 Posts
At around 550 they have a winner anything over 660 it’s a dud.
I'd pay $650, but I'd pay $550 a LOT faster! I suspect when this new gun hits it will be hard to find for quite some time!

Reactions: Mayhem like Me

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd rather see it in .22 TCM. Much easier to locate the components for reloading. But we'll see how this one works out. I hope it won't be a dud.
They can do a .22 TCM9R with nothing more exotic than a barrel swap. Ruger can just make barrels stamped ".22 TCM9R" and drop them into any existing 9mm and be instantly in the market. Same with the .22 TCM....just drop a barrel so marked into their 1911 models and they're in business! And I DO like the .22 TCM! In many ways it's a far more practical conversion or chamber than is the 5.7x28, but that's primarily due to the fact that any gun with a 9mm/.38super/.40 breechface can be made in .22 TCM. Secondarily the .22 TCM/9R far exceeds the performance of the 5.7x28 in current factory ammo.

On the other hand, I also like the 5.7x28 and it's only real negative is lack of a variety of handguns that chamber it. If Ruger starts making one, it won't be long before someone else finally gets in the game.

But with whatever Ruger brings out I'd like to see a full 5" barrel or longer for it. Having done extensive load development for both .22 TCM/9R and 5.7x28 I can tell you fractions of an inch in barrel length make a huge difference in performance - more so for the .22 TCM/9R due to it's use of slower burning powders.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I’m going to buy one for sure

·
Registered
503 Posts
And, here it is!
About $650 street price.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well, The new Ruger uses the exact same cam locking system as the FiveseveN!
Instead of the recoil spring around the barrel, the Ruger has a standard RSA, but in the takedown video you can clearly see the cam lock with the "wings" on either side that lock into recesses in the slide. When field stripping the takedown lever is rotated and he slide eased forward to a point where it lifts straight up off the frame just like the FiveseveN.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not the worst idea purely from the performance perspective, but I would be concerned for the flash and report when shooting 5.7 indoors.
In an apples to oranges comparison at an indoor range I can say the report of the 5.7 out of my PS90 was significantly less than my father shooting his Glock 43 in the lane next to me.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Not the worst idea purely from the performance perspective, but I would be concerned for the flash and report when shooting 5.7 indoors.
Decibel level is a concern with any ammo,especially indoors.The flash shouldn't be a problem with defense loads like the Speer Gold Dots coming out soon.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,981 Posts
I love my FNH Five-seveN. It's a ton of fun to shoot. I bought all the ammo in my stash some years ago at $20 / box of 50. So, 40 cents a round. Not cheap. But, not the most expensive ammo out there, either. I happily blast away with my 6.5 Creedmoor at $1.25 / round, so.... :)

My FNH FsN is my wife's favorite pistol, so it resides in my fast-access safe if the SHTF and it's just her at home. Also in that safe is my FNP-45T. :D

I think Ruger has a winner here. I might get one and keep my FN FsN as a "collector." If the price of ammo goes down, that would be GREAT. And, the Gold Dot stuff looks very interesting as defensive ammo. Gold Dot has a good reputation.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,369 Posts
In an apples to oranges comparison at an indoor range I can say the report of the 5.7 out of my PS90 was significantly less than my father shooting his Glock 43 in the lane next to me.
I have owned 3 PS90s over the years. At a dark, indoor range, I got no real flash with the built in flash hider on the PS90. And, recoil and noise is like a 22. Now, the flash and noise out of the Five Seven handgun. THAT is the total opposite.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Although I won't be buying one, I'm always happy to see innovation or at least some more attention to a caliber that has certainly been only a niche round.

Personally, I'm hoping Ruger follows that up with a 10mm longslide SR10, same with S&W. Don

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Although I won't be buying one, I'm always happy to see innovation or at least some more attention to a caliber that has certainly been only a niche round.

Personally, I'm hoping Ruger follows that up with a 10mm longslide SR10, same with S&W. Don
I love innovation. Occasionally a unknown, or a manufacturer with a questionable reputation will bring something to market that puts the big players on notice.
I’m very interested in this pistol; Ruger is my favorite manufacturer and my wife is very comfortable shooting 22LR, but bigger calibers are not her favorite. I think this will make a very nice HD pistol for her.
I’m also looking forward to more 10mm offerings. I want mine in an M&P 2.0 with 5” barrel.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,090 Posts
PS90? The PS90 is a rifle. a Glock 43 is a pistol. Any round fired from a rifle barrel will produce less muzzle blast than the same round fired from a pistol.

I used to have both a USGI 30 M1 carbine and a 7 1/2 inch 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk and that 30 carbine Blackhawk was the loudest handgun I have ever fired and the carbine seemed mild in comparison. Chamber pressure has a lot to do with it. The 30 carbine and 5.7 x 28 were both designed as rifle cartridges and are loaded to 40,000 and 50,000 PSI pressures respectively.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anyone know when this pistol is supposed to be available to buy?

81 - 100 of 130 Posts