Glock Talk banner

Ruger 357 mag semi auto rifle 10/357

48551 Views 29 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  MythicArmory
Would you buy one if it was available?

I have the 77/357 and it's a neat rifle. It handles both 357 mag and 38 sp just fine but the best thing about this rifle is that it's really light weight and compact just like a 10/22.

What do you guys think?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8,223 Posts
Yeah, I'd buy one. I'd also like to see them bring out/back a semi-auto 44 Magnum carbine. I've almost bought (a used) one many times. But, being a discontinued model I have concerns about parts availability. The 96/44 (lever-action) is a handy little rifle too. A friend of mine has one, and he wont part with it.

· Registered
9,089 Posts
I would take a look at one. I like Rugers. I just started reloading 38/357 last year, so started thinking about getting a rifle to match. I bought a new Rossi lever action, knowing it would be a project gun. Now that the various modifications are complete, I am happy with it.

· Premium Member
5,282 Posts
For the slow among us, how do rimmed cases work in a semi-auto? I don't see how they would function in a magazine...:dunno:

· Registered
60,411 Posts
For the slow among us, how do rimmed cases work in a semi-auto? I don't see how they would function in a magazine...:dunno:
I'm thinking the rotary magazine that Ruger used for their old .44 mag carbine (upscaled from the 10/22) might be one way around the problem. They just need to make the receiver beefier, because I understand the .44 mag carbine took quite a pounding.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I'm thinking the rotary magazine that Ruger used for their old .44 mag carbine (upscaled from the 10/22) might be one way around the problem. They just need to make the receiver beefier, because I understand the .44 mag carbine took quite a pounding.

Actually it was the reverse, the 10/22 mag was downscaled from the original .44 mag carbine.

Ruger has tried the PCC repeatedly, never caught on. The remaining ones bring pretty high prices, the only reason I don't have a P-4 or P-9.

The closest I've gotten is my Sub2000 with +P JHP. With the longer barrel (compared to a handgun) these are truckin' at close to .357 velocity.

· Registered
3,257 Posts
.22LR is rimmed....

And, they seem to work O.K..

The 77/357 uses a five shot rotary magazine... And it seems to work fine also.

Personally, I don't see any obstacles to creating the rifle.

NOW, would I buy one.... YOU BET !

I have a fondness for .357 rifles.

But.. Hey, my name isn't Bill Ruger, so what do I know.

· Registered
60,411 Posts
Actually it was the reverse, the 10/22 mag was downscaled from the original .44 mag carbine.

Ruger has tried the PCC repeatedly, never caught on. The remaining ones bring pretty high prices, the only reason I don't have a P-4 or P-9.

The closest I've gotten is my Sub2000 with +P JHP. With the longer barrel (compared to a handgun) these are truckin' at close to .357 velocity.
Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

I think I actually knew that at one time, but had a brain fahrt moment... :embarassed:

I'll also chime in among those who would dig a .357 semiauto carbine...

· Formerly retired EE.
18,454 Posts
I would really like to have a 10mm carbine for G20 magazines, built to Ruger standards.

What a fantastic backcountry option that would be for people who carry a G20. Ballistically high power 10mm loads seem to reach their full potential with a 13" barrel.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

Best option would be to either do a short barrel rifle (13" barrel) or else work up a handload for a 16" barrel using slower burning powder.

There are factory .357 Mag loads that seem to be well suited to rifles. I can't imagine how much fun this load would be out of a 2" snubbie (I kid).

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

· Registered
3,780 Posts
Why wouldn't they function in a magazine? Think of all the rimmed cartridges that have been fed from magazines, both tubular and box to be fired in auto loaders.... .357, .41, .44 Magnums, 7.62x54R, all the shotgun cartridges, the rimfires like already mentioned...

· Registered
3,780 Posts
I wouldn't count on Ruger making such a gun. They've had two iterations of a .44 Mag semi auto, the original 44 Carbine (briefly called the Deerstalker), and the later Deerfield.

A lot of people get hung up on the detachable magazine of the Deerfield, but the gun was ugly, and only available with one horrible stock design. For me, the detachable magazine means nothing; I prefer the tube magazine of the earlier guns.

Most 44 Carbines also came with a horrible curved buttplate, but there were also Sporter (aka 'finger groove') and International models with much better stocks, but these were only made a few years and are a bit rare.

Here's my '68 Sporter..

I pick up a '67 International tomorrow.

· Registered
9,089 Posts
The greater velocity translates into some dramatic energy increases. I loaded some 158 grain Zero jacketed bullets with 15.9 grains of IMR 4227, which is close to a max load for this powder. This load was averaging 1014 feet per second out of my six inch revolver and is not very fast for a .357. It averaged 1507 fps out of the 20" rifle. That bumps the foot-pounds up from 361 for the pistol to 797 for the rifle, using that load.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/energy.htm

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I wouldn't count on Ruger making such a gun. They've had two iterations of a .44 Mag semi auto, the original 44 Carbine (briefly called the Deerstalker), and the later Deerfield.

A lot of people get hung up on the detachable magazine of the Deerfield, but the gun was ugly, and only available with one horrible stock design. For me, the detachable magazine means nothing; I prefer the tube magazine of the earlier guns.

Most 44 Carbines also came with a horrible curved buttplate, but there were also Sporter (aka 'finger groove') and International models with much better stocks, but these were only made a few years and are a bit rare.

Here's my '68 Sporter..

I pick up a '67 International tomorrow.
So am I the only one who just drooled all over the keyboard? Beautiful carbine, and bet there isn't much that wouldn't take down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.