close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger 20-round factory Mini-30 mags are shipping

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ElevatedThreat, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I just received my back-ordered Ruger Mini-30 factory 20-round mags in 7.62x39 Russian.

Ruger certainly waited enough years to make a factory 20-round mag available for the excellent Mini-30 carbine, but now that they are here, judging by my double-handful of mags, they are excellent.

They all fit the rifle perfectly -- snug but not tight, and stable while still being easy to get in and out -- and they have a really high-quality blue-black finish. The rounds stack in them perfectly with no excessive effort required to load the last round.

The mag followers are shaped properly, move freely and smoothly up and down, and do not nose-dive. The mag springs seem just right.

I cycled 20 live rounds through each of the mags by hand (at the range, pointing downrange from the sandbags -- safety first please) and 100% of the rounds not only fed and ejected perfectly at even the slowest speeds, but all the rounds were unmarked afterward -- no scratches on the cases from the feed lips, no marks on the bullet noses.

Everything on the mags is smooth and snag free, with no sharp edges or corners.

The curve of the 20-round Ruger Mini-30 mag matches the double-column stacking-curve of nested 7.62x39 rounds perfectly -- the key to making a successful 7.62x39 mag (and the reason AR mags in 7.62x39 are so hard to make run 100%).

These mags even feed the very short overall length Prvi Partisan roundnose cartridges perfectly -- a devastating hunting and (presumably, based on whitetail recovered bullet performance) anti-personnel round for the Mini-30.

A live-fire test of 60 rounds from 3 mags picked at random was 100%. successful with no jams or hints of other troubles. I will have to test the remaining mags over time, as ammo supplies allow. The mags lock the bolt open when empty.

So -- so far, so good.

I love my Mini-30 Stainless Ranch Rifle -- I've found it accurate and reliable over many years, despite internet hype to the contrary -- and these new 20-round Ruger factory mags make the rifle even better.

They join the Pro-Mag nickel 10-round mags as the only commercially-available, 100% reliable Mini-30 mags -- besides the 5-round factory mag that comes with the rifle.

-ET

2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

3. DonD

DonD

I really wish I had the same success. Got mine yesterday. They flat don't work on my 581 series Mini 30. They require a lot of pressure to latch into the mag well, then to drop them requires SERIOUS pressure on the mag release and you still have to dink with them to get them to clear the forward latch feature in the mag well.

I'm sending mine back tomorrow. The factory 5 rd mag work perfectly, my 10 rd Pro Mags almost as well.

I love the gun so I guess I can live w/o large capacity mags. I'm not expecting any large intruder invasions near term. Don

4. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Huh. That's odd.

If you were not having good success with the original 5-round factory mag and the Pro-Mag 10 rounders, I'd suspect that you have a non-standard mag catch, or one with a burr on it.

The problem that you describe could be relieved by filing the bottom of the protrusion on the back of the mag that engages the mag catch, shortening its height. But at 40 bucks a pop, I don't blame you for not wanting to file on these mags. They should be good to go, right from the factory.

I'd be very curious to see if Ruger says that the mags you received are in-spec. Since Ruger made both your rifle and your new mags, they certainly should be compatible.

Seems to me, Ruger owes you either new mags, or a new mag catch.....

-ET