Ruger 10/22 w/magpul backpacker stock

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by RMKrazy, Jul 22, 2020.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Here are my takedowns...

Top one is factory stock version w/Magpul stock and Leupold 1-4x VX-II scope.

Bottom one is a distributor special (#11125). I left the Ruger factory forend on that rifle, as I wanted to use the laser that mounts over the end of the factory stock, and it won't fit the Magpul stock/forend. Has a Leupold FireDot (green dot) 1.5-4x scope from their Mark AR lineup.

1022TDModels.jpg

RMKrazy, pike bishop and nrajeff like this.

3. DJ Niner

They won't fit in one of those wimpy little day-pack backpacks, but they should fit in any medium- or full-size pack without any problem. Depending on the optic you use, they take-down into a package that measures a bit less than 8" x 21". I use a short optic and never let the front lens extend out past the takedown joint in the stock (click pic to embiggen).

1022TDStowedMagpulStock.jpg

RMKrazy and nrajeff like this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

On the take-down rifle obviously, it serves a purpose. But not on the standard rifle, And they do make a "Backpacker" stock for the standard rifle and I don't see the point in that.

I think maybe the Ruger charger might have been the original backpack rifle even though it was technically a pistol, but it got close to rifle ballistics with that 10 inch barrel and with an aftermarket 12 inch barrel it's even better and still fits in the padded factory zipper case and is still legally a pistol.

DJ Niner likes this.
  5. BC42

BC42

6. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

To add to this thread..

I stumbled on this at the LGS yesterday..

It feels really good in-hand..too good.. I almost put it on layaway.

I did some research and I really like what I saw..

If I wasn't trying to be "discreet" with my 10/22 (likely looks a lot like a pellet rifle to the anti-gun folks) in a dense neighborhood with tiny lots, this might be at the top of my list..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQssc6XVgGI

7. RMKrazy

RMKrazy

The Tippmann is currently on PSA's daily deals. $499. Not the Micro though.

8. RMKrazy

RMKrazy

I have actually tried to buy the Ruger with the backpacker stock twice this week. 2 cards, one rejected saying "DO NOT HONOR", the other rejected saying incorrect cvv code (it's correct). PSA told me to use Chrome Browser (I was). Sent a message to one of my card companies to see if it is something on my their end. Crickets...

9. DAW9347

DAW9347

Just curious. Does the set of barrel bands affect, in any way, how that rifle shoots as compared to the rifle above it?

10. DJ Niner

Not noticeably, but frankly, I don't expect match accuracy from the takedown versions. As the forend is attached to the barrel in both cases, all it might do is mess with the vibrations a bit, and at rimfire-takedown-carbine distances (for me, 5 to about 75 yards), it just isn't a factor, IMO.

My experience with accuracy in the 10/22 takedowns is that it's FAR more important to find the correct setting of the takedown system tensioning ring, and of course, find a load the gun "likes".

DAW9347 and BC42 like this.
  11. DJ Niner

Are you talking about the full-length stock that looks like the Backpacker Stock?
    Like this Flat Dark Earth one on my "spare parts drawer Frankengun" 10/22?

Magpul1022Stock.jpg

That one is called the Hunter X-22 Stock, and it has a lot of nice features that I could re-type here, but instead, I'll just copy Magpul's description from their website:

MagpulHunterX22StockDesc.jpg

For me, as I mentioned in another post, I like the more vertical grip angle and the deep relief cut above the grip, which allows my constantly-aggrieved wrist tendons a much more comfortable grip angle during use. The other features are nice too, and I've taken advantage of some while ignoring others. Same as any other 10/22, you have lots of options you can try-out with this stock. Solid, comfortable, a decent value, color options; heck, I'd probably own one even if it DIDN'T have add-on doodad options.

12. DrewBone

DrewBone

The more vertical grip on these stocks is an attraction for me also, as in my youth I'd broken my right wrist twice; the first time was a simple break but the second time I broke both the radius and ulna bones and dislocated the joint and it didn't heal quite right, so I have a difficult time rotating my right wrist upward, making shooting straight stocked rifles such as those found on the M1 Carbine and M1 Garand rifles not only difficult but very uncomfortable, in fact when I shoot these rifles I have to use my middle finger to operate the trigger:

20191001_091057.jpg

The latter made for a rather comical incident at a local town range many years ago when a 6'-2" "big shot" range officer (wearing mirrored shades, a perfectly pressed uniform and immaculate hat, carrying a 4" nickle plated N-frame revolver in a leather rig and belt populated with perfectly aligned nickel cased 357mag holler pernts) stopped me from shooting to inform me that I was using the wrong finger to operate the trigger...that was until I rolled up my sleeve and showed him why I had to use "this finger" (giving him "the finger" right in his face) on the trigger when shooting my Garand rifle. He blushed and apologized for the interruption, LOL.

I'm contemplating the T/CR22 rifle and am currently hung up on an optic, but I'll get there. Thanks again for posting the images, and I'm sorry to hear about your wrist tendons but am greatful that there are comfortable options out there for the both of us :D

DJ Niner likes this.
  13. DAW9347

DAW9347

Haven't worked with the take-down versions, but your process does make sense.

14. DrewBone

DrewBone

Your above commentary is why I've avoided the takedown version of the Ruger 10/22 along with any other takedown rifle as well, along with having no genuine need or requirement for a rifle with such capabilities. My Ruger Charger clone provides a small and relatively accurate .22lr platform that can be "packed as is" that has the ability to accept a magnified optic if longer distance shooting is required, of course as long as the target doesn't require anything greater than what the capabilities of the mighty .22lr cartridge can provide ;)

20200419_120803.jpg

DJ Niner likes this.
  15. BC42

BC42

I think the takedown accuracy is very good to excellent. It's not hard to set the takedown ring. Put it together, tighten the ring as tight as you can get it. Take the barrel off and tighten the ring by 2-3 clicks (you can test for yourself) and it will be very tight and repeatable after that. I can shoot dime sized groups at 25 yrds with bulk ammo. I have a 3x9 scope mounted on the receiver.

DrewBone and Out West like this.