Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, or Marlin 60?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TriggerHappy007, Jan 2, 2010.

1. TriggerHappy007

TriggerHappy007

I am making the purchase tomorrow. I have my sights on the Ruger 10/22 just from research I have done myself, but I want to get a general thought from you guys on what you recommend. I have owned a Marlin 60 for years now and I loved it, but it is very very old and rusting out and the stock is dry-rotting - time to replace. I actually sawed off the stock to make it pistol grip...:whistling::upeyes:

What's your recommendations?

Please rank:
    1) Reliability
    2) Ease of Use
    3) Price
    4) Modifications

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Of those three the Marlin is my favorite.

3. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I own both 10/22's and an older Marlin 60. My preference is for the Marlin 60 but...since the 10/22 can be modified so easily I would probably go with one of those.

Hmmm, I did however see a beautiful brand new 60 at the gun shop jest yesterday.

I wasn't much help was I?:whistling: Good luck on your choice!

HR

4. majic man

majic man

I agree. I really haven't heard anything great about the 597. The Ruger will give you the most options for mods. I think the Marlin will be the most accurate out of the box with the micro groove barrel. Have you thought about the Marlin 795? It's magazine fed like the other rifles on your list and is cheaper than the 60. I just picked one up at Cabela's for 80 bucks. It was 120 with a $20 coupon and a $20 mail in rebate.

5. Pecos Bill 1911

Pecos Bill 1911 Yippi-kai-yah!

I would get the 10-22, based of the better availability of parts, mags, and upgrades. I have a stainless 10-22 in an aftermarket folding synthetic stock, and couldn't be happier.

Best Wishes! Pecos Bill out.

6. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

i would say no to the 597 then flip a coin to decide on either the ruger or marlin.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

That's not even a fair fight. The ruger is a better design than the other two. Add to that the level of aftermarket support and it really is a no brainer.

8. oldfort

oldfort

I have all three. My Mod 597 is a .22mag and it is sweet. It was a retirement gift from my son about 10 yrs ago and is waaay accurate and has never missed a shell. My Mod 60 was bought used in the 60's. My Mod 10/22 is the newer deluxe model without a barrel band. Of the three I would probably choose the 10/22 for .22LR, plinker/scope. All of that being said, I have several of the old Rem Nylon 66 autos in .22LR. They are head and shoulders above the others as my favorite, for an open sight plinker. And a favorite of my grandchildren, too. FWIW, I have never, ever, seen a Rem Nylon 66 ever miss a shell, but I started picking them up several years ago at the pawnshops in the $65 range. Good luck.

9. den888

den888

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

11. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

I have all three and I would pick the Remington 597. It is accurate out of the box, and the 30-rd mags are reliable and cheap ($20), not to mention the 22-rd Promag mags are pretty good too.

If you only want one, I would take the 597.

12. Seamus O'Connor

Seamus O'Connor The Dixie Mick

13. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

im not fond of the 597 and the only rifle with a tube magazine that i like is the marlin 39a. so my vote is for the 10/22. if i were going with a semi auto id go with a thompson center r55

14. a1b2c3

a1b2c3

I've never shot a 597 but have own alot of 10/22s and 60s. I only have a 60 now due to me getting tired of buying mags for the 10/22. You can trick a 10/22 out but I don't see the big deal.

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

All three rifles are good, but I have to agree with the 10/22 crowd. Its just simply more versatile.

16. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

FWIW, my 10-22 sucks royally. All those third party triggers, magazines, barrels, etc are for a reason.

The bolt pretty much needs reworking. The firing pin has a problem with adequate strikes. I had my bolt reworked by a gunsmith, and it's still iffy.

The third party products are hit or miss. Granted, you can find a lot of options in stocks, and trigger assemblies. But there is a reason for that.

My Ruger 10-22, sucks. I am embarrassed when at the club trying to make it work. If the stock product didn't suck, there wouldn't be so many after market products.

The reason so many have been sold is because they are CHEAP.

17. Minnow

Minnow

I always liked my Marlin Model 60 better than the Rugers, but if you want to mod then the 10/22 is the way to go.

18. adctd2shooting

adctd2shooting

Currently have a 597 and 10/22 in the safe right next to my 39a. I love them all but if i'm going ot shoot 22lr at the range my 597 is going with me.
    However my 39a golden is what sits next to the window loaded with cb short for the racoons that knock over the trash. My friend had a marlin 60 and I never really liked that rifle, you cant get your eye low enough to use the sights well.

19. CajunBass

CajunBass

For my money you can play "rock, paper, scissors" to pick one. They're about the same IMHO. I've got five 10/22's. You can probably tell I like them. The 597 I've got is at least as good though, maybe better, but I don't shoot it as much, so I can't say for sure. I save it for bad weather squirrel hunting when I don't want to take one of walnut stocked 10/22's out.

I think the Model 60 is ugly, and I don't really care for tube magazines so I've never bothered to buy one, but most everyone I hear around here who has them likes them, so I'll defer to their expertise and say it's a good choice too.

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I am addicted to 22LR rifles and pistols.

A long while back I looked at semi-autos.
    The Remington and the Marlin may be better out of the box, but the I decided to go with the 10-22 because of the after market parts. As it turns out, at this point I have 2 10-22s which are bone stock originals. They are accurate enough for what I use them for. They are by no means track drivers. I have guns with better triggers. I think I made the right choice for me, but YMMV.