Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum
I'd like to get a home defense gun that I, my wife or teenage kids, who are all safe with guns, at least under my supervision, can shoot.
my wife has had shoulder surgery recently so she can't handle much recoil, even with a handgun or one of my ar's and can't lift much at this point, my sons and daughter can handle recoil, but I want a gun for everyone.
I have a handgun for this purpose, but if im not home or if im clearing the house, I want something my wife can stay in the bedroom with the rifle.
If I were to load the 10/22 with some high velocity rounds with one of those aftermarket 25 round magazines would that be a good rifle for home defense or should I consider something else?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A 22 rimfire isn't really in my top 10 for optimal cartridges for SD/HD under NORMAL circumstances. It sounds as if your situation is more limited. At least for time being.

IF your wife has a true desire to practice with and potentially use the 10/22, it could be fairly effective. Certainly better than no firearm. The 10/22 is pretty easy to shoot accurately and has nearly no recoil. Find a high velocity round that can be vetted for reliability in the specific rifle you buy. Ruger also makes their own 25 round magazines called the BX-25. I'd try those before looking to the aftermarket.

If she can eventually graduate to a bigger caliber, so much the better. You'd still have a very fun, plinking rifle in the 10/22. Both my kid's first shots ever were from a 10/22. It's still fun.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A 22 rimfire isn't really in my top 10 for optimal cartridges for SD/HD under NORMAL circumstances. It sounds as if your situation is more limited. At least for time being.

IF your wife has a true desire to practice with and potentially use the 10/22, it could be fairly effective. Certainly better than no firearm. The 10/22 is pretty easy to shoot accurately and has nearly no recoil. Find a high velocity round that can be vetted for reliability in the specific rifle you buy. Ruger also makes their own 25 round magazines called the BX-25. I'd try those before looking to the aftermarket.

If she can eventually graduate to a bigger caliber, so much the better. You'd still have a very fun, plinking rifle in the 10/22. Both my kid's first shots ever were from a 10/22. It's still fun.
Agreed!

OP- How old are the kids? I ask because most parents put limits on the kids instead of the kids finding their limits. If someone pounds "recoil will hurt you" into one's head long enough, a .22LR will hurt them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It's a lot better than a can opener. I find that even the ruger mags can be temperamental with my 10/22. If I had to use a .22, I'd choose something semiauto with a tube magazine, like a marlin model 60. Maybe you guys have had better luck, and mine isn't bad... but I would never trust it.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Agreed! How old are the kids? I ask because most parents put limits on the kids instead of the kids finding their limits. If someone pounds "recoil will hurt you" into one's head long enough, a .22LR will hurt them.

The kids are both grown now. That was many years ago. They were a bit under 10 when they expressed an interest. The first few shots were with 1 cartridge loaded. Before long, they were going semi-auto.

·
Banned
21,060 Posts
It's a lot better than a can opener. I find that even the ruger mags can be temperamental with my 10/22. If I had to use a .22, I'd choose something semiauto with a tube magazine, like a marlin model 60. Maybe you guys have had better luck, and mine isn't bad... but I would never trust it.
My R10/22 has worked well with factory 10-rd mags since 1988.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed!

OP- How old are the kids? I ask because most parents put limits on the kids instead of the kids finding their limits. If someone pounds "recoil will hurt you" into one's head long enough, a .22LR will hurt them.

Kids are teenagers, they can shoot my shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc just fine. The daughter is a little more recoil shy so she tends to favor my AR and the smaller gauged shotgun. Boys have no issues running a lightweight 308 bolt rifle.

·
Huge Member
12,239 Posts
1. The mere presence of a gun stops most contentious behavior but one must be ready, willing and able to use it.

2. Any gun is better than no gun

3. Nobody wants to get shot

4. Hits count

5. Shot placement is more important than caliber

So yeah, a 22 rifle is more formidable than a fist or nasty word.

·
23,400 Posts
New to the forum
I'd like to get a home defense gun that I, my wife or teenage kids, who are all safe with guns, at least under my supervision, can shoot.
my wife has had shoulder surgery recently so she can't handle much recoil, even with a handgun or one of my ar's and can't lift much at this point, my sons and daughter can handle recoil, but I want a gun for everyone.
I have a handgun for this purpose, but if im not home or if im clearing the house, I want something my wife can stay in the bedroom with the rifle.
If I were to load the 10/22 with some high velocity rounds with one of those aftermarket 25 round magazines would that be a good rifle for home defense or should I consider something else?
I think it's a good choice. I would never recommend a 22 rimfire PISTOL for any kind of defensive weapon but a 22 rimfire RIFLE is a completely different story especially in a reliable semi-auto like a 10/22 with a 25 round mag.

It's relatively quiet even with full power ammo, it's accurate and there is no recoil to speak of. Get a folding stock for close quarters and get a genuine Ruger FACTORY 25 round mag for it.

I would recommend either high velocity 40 grain CCI Velocitors (1435 FPS) or Aguila .22LR high velocity 40 Grain Interceptors High (1470 FPS) as your ammo of choice. Try a box of each in your rifle and see which is more accurate.

Break the gun in first with regular ammo then try the high velocity stuff and compare the tow for both accuracy and reliability. If there's no difference get the interceptors because they are available in bricks of 500 for a couple cents less a round.

https://www.turners.com/aguila/aguila-22lr-interceptor-high-v-456606

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/agu...-plated-lead-round-nose-1b222320-p-54336.aspx

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci...-point-0047-p-886.aspx?keyword=cci velocitors

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.