Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to throw a little money at my 10-22 which I've had forever

What things have you done that you really like?

I'm bone stock, well, have a RDS. I do hate the cheap wood stock that feels plasti-coated or whatever.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the benefit of others how about post a link or pic on these

·
Registered
43,664 Posts
Threaded bull barrel and stock to fit. Then a better trigger. A decent scope and you've got a tack driver.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
PWR - I built a sweet 10/22 last year and I love it. I would suggest building one of your own.

There is a really good .22 dedicated forum I learned everything from and the guys are just like here. Lots of great after market parts for the entire riffle if you wanted. I estimated my riffle to cost around $700 including the scope.

As far as what to upgrade, maybe the trigger. The Ruger bx trigger is about $50-60 and is known as a decent trigger. Kidd triggers are much more expensive but people love them.

Here is my 10/22

·
Registered
63 Posts
The BX trigger was a big improvement. I also replaced the metal bolt buffer with one coated in a rubber material, which only makes a minor difference in noise when the bolt cycles. It was only a couple bucks on eBay, so not a big expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Range Bum
1,132 Posts
These three would definitely make your 10/22 look and shoot better:
- Magpul Hunter X22 stock
- Kidd barrel
- Ruger BX trigger (if you you have more to spend, then the Kidd triggers will do)

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
In order of importance:
- Decent ammo. This is incredibly overlooked. People buy the cheapest trash they can find at walmart, then complain about accuracy and reliability. I've had great luck over the years with SK Standard Plus (not the most expensive ammo you can find, but great price/performance ratio), CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer 40gr (cheapest). Note the blazer is the 40gr 500/box which is markedly more accurate than the cheaper CCI 38gr 525/box. (I put the 38gr in the same category as all the other value box trash).
- Trigger upgrade. I'm partial to a Volquartzen match hammer and sear, but I also have a BX22 and it's decent. Definitely worth the $ compared to stock trigger.
- Decent scope

Those 3 will move your 10/22 to next level s*** compared to stock trigger with crappy irons with trash ammo.

Worthy of mention as money permits: barrel upgrade, replacement stock, extended mag release, suppressor.

·
19,038 Posts
In order of importance:
- Decent ammo. This is incredibly overlooked. People buy the cheapest trash they can find at walmart, then complain about accuracy and reliability. I've had great luck over the years with SK Standard Plus (not the most expensive ammo you can find, but great price/performance ratio), CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer 40gr (cheapest). Note the blazer is the 40gr 500/box which is markedly more accurate than the cheaper CCI 38gr 525/box. (I put the 38gr in the same category as all the other value box trash).
- Trigger upgrade. I'm partial to a Volquartzen match hammer and sear, but I also have a BX22 and it's decent. Definitely worth the $ compared to stock trigger.
- Decent scope

Those 3 will move your 10/22 to next level s*** compared to stock trigger with crappy irons with trash ammo.

Worthy of mention as money permits: barrel upgrade, replacement stock, extended mag release, suppressor.
What you say is 100% right on the money. I bought my first Ruger 10/22 in 1970. I tried different kind of ammo in it but CCI Mini-mags worked best in that gun and that's been my preferred ammo ever since except for CCI Blazers which are about half the price and usually shoot just as well.

It pays to get the 500 round box with individually packed and separated 50 round boxes

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I've decided to throw a little money at my 10-22 which I've had forever

What things have you done that you really like?

I'm bone stock, well, have a RDS. I do hate the cheap wood stock that feels plasti-coated or whatever.
Standard first question: what's your intended use for this 10/22 that you want to throw money at?

I've never been into .22's, though years ago I did buy a plain Jane standard 10/22 with the birch stock, but I never shot it so I sold it off. Then geez, here I am close to 40 years later and finally living in a free state I decided to get my feet wet in the NFA device waters, and I decided that the easiest way to accomplish this was with a .22 suppressor. So while I've been waiting for my Dead Air MASK HD to get out of jail I've been exploring the different possibilities for .22 pistol suppressor hosts. I don't currently own any .22 rifles, but I've managed to acquire these .22 pistols; a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite, Ruger SR22, S&W SW22, Beretta 71, and a Walther PPK/S.

Then of course not being satisfied with the above I started looking for other options that were a little outside the box. I'd seen the Ruger Charger but I didn't like the 8" and 10" barrel lengths that Ruger was offering (I wanted a 6" barrel because that was right at the borderline of keeping standard .22 ammo subsonic), so I started to look for different options. And when I figured everything out I came to the realization that if I purchased a Ruger Charger and made the changes that I wanted to make to it I'd end up with a handfull of parts left over, so I decided to build a Ruger Charger pistol from the ground up, 'not on an OEM Ruger Charger receiver but on one of the Charger clone receivers from Brownells.

What I ended up with was a nice little high capacity one-off .22 caliber Charger clone pistol:
20200316_160330.jpg

It was a fun project that I posted about a while back:

Ruger Charger Clone Project...

So maybe you could leave your 10/22 rifle be and go off in a different direction? 'Just sayin', LOL ;)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Standard first question: what's your intended use for this 10/22 that you want to throw money at?

I've never been into .22's, though years ago I did buy a plain Jane standard 10/22 with the birch stock, but I never shot it so I sold it off. Then geez, here I am close to 40 years later and finally living in a free state I decided to get my feet wet in the NFA device waters, and I decided that the easiest way to accomplish this was with a .22 suppressor. So while I've been waiting for my Dead Air MASK HD to get out of jail I've been exploring the different possibilities for .22 pistol suppressor hosts. I don't currently own any .22 rifles, but I've managed to acquire these .22 pistols; a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite, Ruger SR22, S&W SW22, Beretta 71, and a Walther PPK/S.

Then of course not being satisfied with the above I started looking for other options that were a little outside the box. I'd seen the Ruger Charger but I didn't like the 8" and 10" barrel lengths that Ruger was offering (I wanted a 6" barrel because that was right at the borderline of keeping standard .22 ammo subsonic), so I started to look for different options. And when I figured everything out I came to the realization that if I purchased a Ruger Charger and made the changes that I wanted to make to it I'd end up with a handfull of parts left over, so I decided to build a Ruger Charger pistol from the ground up, 'not on an OEM Ruger Charger receiver but on one of the Charger clone receivers from Brownells.

What I ended up with was a nice little high capacity one-off .22 caliber Charger clone pistol:
View attachment 756506
It was a fun project that I posted about a while back:

Ruger Charger Clone Project...

So maybe you could leave your 10/22 rifle be and go off in a different direction? 'Just sayin', LOL ;)
Nice work! I like the looks better than the charger. I personally don't have an interest in doing that thou I'm sure you have and will inspire others

To answer your Q ... More accuracy, better function, more esthetics, more fun

Reactions: DrewBone
1 - 20 of 55 Posts